British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Would you fly the Canadian flag...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/would-you-fly-canadian-flag-587697/)

Caimas Jan 28th 2009 5:51 am

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

The reason for asking, is my cousin has allowed her children to erect two either side of their new house. The family are English, having moved to Ontario in 2003 and have developed a very patriotic attitude towards their adopted country: Is my cousin unusual?

As we have only flew a St. George's cross as a token gesture, (either on the day itself or from the car during the world cup), I wondered how patriotic migrants felt about Canada? When we visited Ontario in 2007 we were pleasantly surprised with the number of residential homes flying the flag and pride felt by Canadians in general.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

:)

G77 Jan 28th 2009 5:53 am

Re: Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Depends on your local bylaws - I think it may be illegal in some parts :blink:

dbd33 Jan 28th 2009 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Caimas (Post 7222498)
The reason for asking, is my cousin has allowed her children to erect two either side of their new house. The family are English, having moved to Ontario in 2003 and have developed a very patriotic attitude towards their adopted country: Is my cousin unusual?

As we have only flew a St. George's cross as a token gesture, (either on the day itself or from the car during the world cup), I wondered how patriotic migrants felt about Canada? When we visited Ontario in 2007 we were pleasantly surprised with the number of residential homes flying the flag and pride felt by Canadians in general.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

:)

I would not. Firstly, it's not my country and not my flag. Secondly, the routine flying of flags strikes me as being rather silly, especially if it's the flag of the country where the flag is flying. If the kids wanted to fly a Canadian flag I wouldn't fight them over it but they choose to fly their national flag on their national day and none the rest of the year.

iaink Jan 28th 2009 6:03 am

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...09005Large.jpg

Does that answer your question. Doesnt do any harm to show a bit of pride, if you have any left.

macadian Jan 28th 2009 6:04 am

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...adian/flag.jpgYes...and I do...:cool:

Caimas Jan 28th 2009 6:20 am

Wow! At least there is some colour amongst all that snow. I have to say, as much as I love being English, I can't say I feel that patriotic. The flag from the car was to humour the kids. I feel quite sad that I feel this way and slightly envious of those that do!

They look bloody great! :thumbsup:

jericho Jan 28th 2009 6:40 am

Each to their own I guess, but seems a bit odd to me to fly the flag of another country.
I could see why the kids would want to do it, but adults?:confused:

iaink Jan 28th 2009 6:59 am

Originally Posted by jericho (Post 7222710)
Each to their own I guess, but seems a bit odd to me to fly the flag of another country.
I could see why the kids would want to do it, but adults?:confused:

I was born British...didnt have any choice in it. I am still proud of much of the UK, its history and place in the world. BUT, chose to become a Canadian citizen, this country has welcomed me, and I am proud of its standing in the world as a benevolent democracy too, and I am proud of my association with it too. My kids are Canadian born (but naturally British too), my wife is Canadian, so it makes sense to me to identify with both nations.

Also, as you probably know, at school here Oh Canada is a daily feature. Having the Union Flag flying at home beside the Maple Leaf is a token gesture on my part to remind the kids of the roots of the family and their connection to the UK too I guess.

Also makes it easy to give directions...its the house with the Union Jack...:)

Elaine B. Jan 28th 2009 7:04 am

Being from Northern Ireland flying of flags was never a good idea mind you now I'm officially Canadian maybe I'll put up a Maple Leaf on July 12th just to confuse matters;)

MrGreen Jan 28th 2009 7:12 am

I've never felt the need, but I find seeing the canadian flag flying outside a home here totally inoffensive and I actually quite like seeing it. It's nice to be in a country where people can be proud to fly their flag without any sinister connotations or undertones. I just find seeing the cross or union jack flying outside a house back in england stirs up totally different feelings for me...mainly because of the type of people I've seen do this back home. I could never imagine a new immigrant family in the UK flying (or wanting to fly) a union jack from the front of their house, whereas I've seen people of all races here fly the candian flag in a show of how much they love living in their newly adopted country, which is nice to see.

dinger24 Jan 28th 2009 7:30 am

This reminds me of when I first visited Canada with the British army - we had been told under no circumstances were we to run out side of the camp wearing union jack shorts as the locals would find it offensive and complain about defacing the Union Jack:eek:

macadian Jan 28th 2009 7:47 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7222760)
I was born British...didnt have any choice in it. I am still proud of much of the UK, its history and place in the world. BUT, chose to become a Canadian citizen, this country has welcomed me, and I am proud of its standing in the world as a benevolent democracy too, and I am proud of my association with it too.:)

Could not have put it better....:thumbsup:

Paul Wildy Jan 28th 2009 8:13 am

I fly a Canadian flag. I usually put it up on Canada day and then take it down in the fall when we stat getting high winds.

Maybe thats odd, I dunno. I dont think so really, I do live in Canada after all. I think in a way it would be more odd to have a British flag up here (though that seems fine to me if you are flying both).

JonboyE Jan 28th 2009 8:19 am

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 7222919)
Could not have put it better....:thumbsup:

I agree. I normally fly a Maple Leaf on Canada Day.

triumphguy Jan 28th 2009 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 7222770)
Being from Northern Ireland flying of flags was never a good idea mind you now I'm officially Canadian maybe I'll put up a Maple Leaf on July 12th just to confuse matters;)

There's someone who would fly the Red Hand from his garage. I found it provocative even over here! But that's my own personal shtuff.

I fly the maple leaf on Canada day.

I've seen more Union Jacks flying here than I ever saw in England.

clynnog Jan 28th 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7222760)
I was born British...didnt have any choice in it. I am still proud of much of the UK, its history and place in the world. BUT, chose to become a Canadian citizen, this country has welcomed me, and I am proud of its standing in the world as a benevolent democracy too, and I am proud of my association with it too. My kids are Canadian born (but naturally British too), my wife is Canadian, so it makes sense to me to identify with both nations.

Also, as you probably know, at school here Oh Canada is a daily feature. Having the Union Flag flying at home beside the Maple Leaf is a token gesture on my part to remind the kids of the roots of the family and their connection to the UK too I guess.

Iain,,,,,very well put.....there are some people on this board who have nothing good to say about Canada...in fact they can be quite caustic in their comments. I'm from the UK and my wife is Canadian....my first inclination would be a Cdn flag and then if there was room I'd have the Union Jack. It is possible to be proud of both one's original place of residence and also the chosen place of residence. At times, those who constantly harp about Canada should get a dose of reality and head back to chavtastic britain.

TrishP Jan 28th 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 7222770)

Oh I hear you ... I thought about picking up a flag to bring back when I was over there in August, but ole Norn Irish paranoia came flooding back .. oooo, if I put up a red hand or a tricolour, somebody somewhere will be offended ....

iaink Jan 28th 2009 8:38 am

Originally Posted by triumphguy (Post 7223056)

I've seen more Union Jacks flying here than I ever saw in England.

That's cos it hasn't been usurped here. Its very sad to me that a minority of extremists in the UK have managed to bully their way to taking ownership of the flag.

If everyone there who was proud of the country had flown the thing in the first place, as they do here with the maple leaf, then it would never have been possible for the right to take it as their own, they would have just looked ridiculous for even trying:mad:

DaveLovesDee Jan 28th 2009 8:39 am

If I were to put any flags up, I'd have to have the Union Jack, the Welsh dragon, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.

Did you know that the Welsh flag is the only UK flag not represented on the Union Jack.

TrishP Jan 28th 2009 8:40 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7223090)
That's cos it hasn't been usurped here. Its very sad to me that a minority of extremists in the UK have managed to bully their way to taking ownership of the flag.

If everyone there who was proud of the country had flown the thing in the first place, as they do here with the maple leaf, then it would never have been possible for the right to take it as there own, they would have just looked ridiculous for even trying:mad:

Unfortunately in NI flag-flying has been used fo years to make a political point ....

Mikey B Jan 28th 2009 8:43 am

Definitely!! Along with the St Georges cross, if your not willing to show some pride and enthusiasm for your country of birth and more importantly the country you have chosen to live for a better life why are you living here?

TrishP Jan 28th 2009 8:44 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 7223093)
If I were to put any flags up, I'd have to have the Union Jack, the Welsh dragon, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.

Did you know that the Welsh flag is the only UK flag not represented on the Union Jack.

Norn Iron ain't on there either!

startwin Jan 28th 2009 9:22 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7222536)
I would not. Firstly, it's not my country and not my flag. Secondly, the routine flying of flags strikes me as being rather silly, especially if it's the flag of the country where the flag is flying. If the kids wanted to fly a Canadian flag I wouldn't fight them over it but they choose to fly their national flag on their national day and none the rest of the year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I agree and applaud Iain's post on this topic.

Novocastrian Jan 28th 2009 9:23 am

The house we live in has white siding. When we bought it in 1993 it came with a Canadian flag (gratis) flying from the porch. Although we'd lived in Canada previously, we though it better to leave it up in case the locals would think us a bit dodgy if we threw it out.

I took it down as soon as I learned that in fact the neighbours had jokingly been calling the place "The Canadian White House" for some time and that they thought that the previous (Canadian born and bred) owners were a couple of right tits.

jimf Jan 28th 2009 9:28 am

Originally Posted by TrishB (Post 7223114)

I thought the red diagonal stripes were from the St Patrick cross as an all of Ireland symbol?

triumphguy Jan 28th 2009 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 7223093)

I was wondering where that dragon was hiding boyo!:rofl:

triumphguy Jan 28th 2009 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7223268)
The house we live in has white siding. When we bought it in 1993 it came with a Canadian flag (gratis) flying from the porch. Although we'd lived in Canada previously, we though it better to leave it up in case the locals would think us a bit dodgy if we threw it out.

I took it down as soon as I learned that in fact the neighbours had jokingly been calling the place "The Canadian White House" for some time and that they thought that the previous (Canadian born and bred) owners were a couple of right tits.

Not a right one and a left one?

Brownstar Jan 28th 2009 10:05 am

I wouldn't hang any country flag outside my house or display it anywhere else................that sort of thing is way too Yank for my liking

Tangram Jan 28th 2009 10:15 am

My two are hanging in my garage.

Flogger Jan 28th 2009 10:23 am

Blimey.

DaveLovesDee Jan 28th 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 7223287)
I thought the red diagonal stripes were from the St Patrick cross as an all of Ireland symbol?

The Union Jack is comprised of the English Cross of St George, the Scottish Cross of St Andrew, and the Irish Cross of St Patrick, even though Ireland is not part of the UK anymore. Wales was treated as part of England when the Union Jack was formed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag

River Jan 28th 2009 11:11 am

Why oh Why would you not be proud to fly the Canadian Flag, this is the country that made you welcome and you do not have a good word to say about it, we fly both flags side by side, England the place we were born and Canada which is now our home. I do not want to upset anyone but I just get so fedup of listing to expats saying how thing were in England, you must have hear it, in England we do this and in England we do that bla, bla, bla, so in England they do not fly the flag, maybe they should start and be a proud nation again, now I am off my perch and calm.:)

Cassie 10000 Jan 28th 2009 11:19 am

I like seeing the Canadian Flag, I like the big one just outside Canadian Superstore in the West Side of town, it makes me smile.

It shows how British we are, and how we have had to hide our identities if you ask me. We could never fly ours for fear of upsetting someone or other and being PC.

I'm glad the Canadians are proud to be ..... well Canadian. :thumbsup:

Novocastrian Jan 28th 2009 11:28 am

Originally Posted by River (Post 7223599)
Why oh Why would you not be proud to fly the Canadian Flag, this is the country that made you welcome and you do not have a good word to say about it, we fly both flags side by side, England the place we were born and Canada which is now our home. I do not want to upset anyone but I just get so fedup of listing to expats saying how thing were in England, you must have hear it, in England we do this and in England we do that bla, bla, bla, so in England they do not fly the flag, maybe they should start and be a proud nation again, now I am off my perch and calm.:)

Perhaps it's different in certain parts, but around here it's considered gauche to fly any flag on your house.

I heard an interview on CBC1 on the day of Obama's inauguration. The interviewee had been waving a Maple Leaf flag in the crowds in DC as had many other visitors from Canada. An American had asked him why so many Canadians displayed their flag at the occasion. His answer was, "Well, we only do it abroad".

I liked that.

Monkey Puzzle Jan 28th 2009 11:34 am

Our neighbours have a proper big white flagpole with a huge Canadian flag which you can just about see from the top of our property. (It's not tacky at all ..eg draped out a window or wrapped around a chav.) I LOVE it! It's a beautiful sight. Perhaps I might not feel the same if it was closer and looming over us, blocking the sun.

Despite having been here 2 years, I love those moments when I have a wee surge of gratitude that I LIVE IN CANADA AND I"M SO LUCKY! That flag gives me one of those.

(That said, as a Scot, I had the best time at a Burns Supper here the other weekend. The pipers had me "greetin" all night... :rofl:)

A Canadian friend gave me a wee flag badge to put on my backpack when I travel and I will ..alongside my thistle.

Danny B Jan 28th 2009 11:46 am

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?
I wouldn't fly any flag on the outside of my house, it looks chavy and may upset my neighbors.

Only exception would be on July 1st, but then I'd still feel like a fool. It would be like living back in England with American neighbors, come St Georges day they are all flying the cross and the English locals are looking at them a bit weird.

I was very disappointed with Canada day, not as patriotic as I had thought.

fuschiagirl Jan 28th 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 7223692)
I wouldn't fly any flag on the outside of my house, it looks chavy and may upset my neighbors.

Didn't think Canada did "chavy":confused::confused:

jericho Jan 28th 2009 12:19 pm

I've never seen anyone in the UK claim offense by seeing the union jack/st georges cross. Not once. I think it's just something the daily mail readers like to bring up all the time.

macadian Jan 28th 2009 12:29 pm

[quote=CaptainHook;7223093]If I were to put any flags up, I'd have to have the Union Jack, the Welsh dragon, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.

quote]

Quite right...once into April or so, I fly the following till late fall....:cool::thumbup:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...hree-flags.jpg

dboy Jan 28th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 7223066)
Iain,,,,,very well put.....there are some people on this board who have nothing good to say about Canada...in fact they can be quite caustic in their comments. I'm from the UK and my wife is Canadian....my first inclination would be a Cdn flag and then if there was room I'd have the Union Jack. It is possible to be proud of both one's original place of residence and also the chosen place of residence. At times, those who constantly harp about Canada should get a dose of reality and head back to chavtastic britain.

I agree - Canada has done more for me than the UK ever did. Can't see any reason to fly the Union flag - give me the Maple Leaf any. day!