Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Originally Posted by TrishB
Norn Iron ain't on there either!
Originally Posted by jimf
I thought the red diagonal stripes were from the St Patrick cross as an all of Ireland symbol?
The Union Jack is comprised of the English Cross of St George, the Scottish Cross of St Andrew, and the Irish Cross of St Patrick, even though Ireland is not part of the UK anymore. Wales was treated as part of England when the Union Jack was formed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 28th 2009 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:11 pm
River

River is an unknown quantity at this point

Why oh Why would you not be proud to fly the Canadian Flag, this is the country that made you welcome and you do not have a good word to say about it, we fly both flags side by side, England the place we were born and Canada which is now our home. I do not want to upset anyone but I just get so fedup of listing to expats saying how thing were in England, you must have hear it, in England we do this and in England we do that bla, bla, bla, so in England they do not fly the flag, maybe they should start and be a proud nation again, now I am off my perch and calm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:19 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I like seeing the Canadian Flag, I like the big one just outside Canadian Superstore in the West Side of town, it makes me smile.

It shows how British we are, and how we have had to hide our identities if you ask me. We could never fly ours for fear of upsetting someone or other and being PC.

I'm glad the Canadians are proud to be ..... well Canadian.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by River
Why oh Why would you not be proud to fly the Canadian Flag, this is the country that made you welcome and you do not have a good word to say about it, we fly both flags side by side, England the place we were born and Canada which is now our home. I do not want to upset anyone but I just get so fedup of listing to expats saying how thing were in England, you must have hear it, in England we do this and in England we do that bla, bla, bla, so in England they do not fly the flag, maybe they should start and be a proud nation again, now I am off my perch and calm.
Perhaps it's different in certain parts, but around here it's considered gauche to fly any flag on your house.

I heard an interview on CBC1 on the day of Obama's inauguration. The interviewee had been waving a Maple Leaf flag in the crowds in DC as had many other visitors from Canada. An American had asked him why so many Canadians displayed their flag at the occasion. His answer was, "Well, we only do it abroad".

I liked that.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Our neighbours have a proper big white flagpole with a huge Canadian flag which you can just about see from the top of our property. (It's not tacky at all ..eg draped out a window or wrapped around a chav.) I LOVE it! It's a beautiful sight. Perhaps I might not feel the same if it was closer and looming over us, blocking the sun.

Despite having been here 2 years, I love those moments when I have a wee surge of gratitude that I LIVE IN CANADA AND I"M SO LUCKY! That flag gives me one of those.

(That said, as a Scot, I had the best time at a Burns Supper here the other weekend. The pipers had me "greetin" all night... )

A Canadian friend gave me a wee flag badge to put on my backpack when I travel and I will ..alongside my thistle.

Last edited by Monkey Puzzle; Jan 28th 2009 at 11:36 pm. Reason: added a wee bit
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:46 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't fly any flag on the outside of my house, it looks chavy and may upset my neighbors.

Only exception would be on July 1st, but then I'd still feel like a fool. It would be like living back in England with American neighbors, come St Georges day they are all flying the cross and the English locals are looking at them a bit weird.

I was very disappointed with Canada day, not as patriotic as I had thought.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I wouldn't fly any flag on the outside of my house, it looks chavy and may upset my neighbors.
Didn't think Canada did "chavy"
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:19 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never seen anyone in the UK claim offense by seeing the union jack/st georges cross. Not once. I think it's just something the daily mail readers like to bring up all the time.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=CaptainHook;7223093]If I were to put any flags up, I'd have to have the Union Jack, the Welsh dragon, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.

quote]

Quite right...once into April or so, I fly the following till late fall....

Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:32 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog
Iain,,,,,very well put.....there are some people on this board who have nothing good to say about Canada...in fact they can be quite caustic in their comments. I'm from the UK and my wife is Canadian....my first inclination would be a Cdn flag and then if there was room I'd have the Union Jack. It is possible to be proud of both one's original place of residence and also the chosen place of residence. At times, those who constantly harp about Canada should get a dose of reality and head back to chavtastic britain.
I agree - Canada has done more for me than the UK ever did. Can't see any reason to fly the Union flag - give me the Maple Leaf any. day!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:39 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I agree - Canada has done more for me than the UK ever did. Can't see any reason to fly the Union flag - give me the Maple Leaf any. day!
Germany did more for me than either of those. Is it OK if I fly a Swastika?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:44 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=macadian;7223791]
Originally Posted by CaptainHook
If I were to put any flags up, I'd have to have the Union Jack, the Welsh dragon, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.

quote]

Quite right...once into April or so, I fly the following till late fall....

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...hree-flags.jpg
Nice, i hope you ceremoniously pipe those down at sunset and up at sunrise each day.
never flew it in england, don't see the point here, english, canadian or otherwise, though i am very grateful of the opportunity this country has given my family, and i do agree that its nice to see the maple leaf flying at the malls and such like. On my house though, hmm not sure, perhaps just the british reserve kicking in. Now a Man utd flag, thats another thing entirely.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

We have one on our car ariel, it was already there when we bought it , so left it, had a few comments about surely it should be union jack but only jokingly.

The big huge flags that are about the town are impressive and look good in a slight wind.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:51 am

I recall I was in the UK a few years ago and my mother gave me a blue t shirt with a small St George's Cross over the heart and the words England underneath. Being the obliging son I am i quickly donned it had headed out to a bar\restaurant in Manchester - just my dear old mother and I.

I was told by the bouncer that: "you are not coming here with that on" That, he said, is footie gear" I quickly pointed out that it was a blue T shirt with .... (well you know the rest). I told him that i was visiting from Canada and was only there for a bite and attempted to negotiate with him - he then told me to f--k off .... which I did and had to stop my mother hitting him with her brolly.

I bet he does n't fly a flag at home. He actually thought the St George Cross was simply the insigna of the England football team. Apparently my mother and I were a menacing duo.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Germany did more for me than either of those. Is it OK if I fly a Swastika?
That's mature -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.