Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:22 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
It does. How many races has Canada decimated since Confederation?

Perhaps you have a different understanding of genocide.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:28 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Of course it's a football shirt. Since when have you been able to buy a t-shirt, emblazened with ENGLAND and the St George cross, and it not be affiliated with the England football team?
i see your point, but surely tourists going to england see the flag, see the words, and see the t-shirt as representing their visit to england as a souvenir, not paid up members of the england football team fan club. we recently returned from new york, my daughter bought the obligatory i love(heart) NY t-shirt, and i got the yankees baseball cap, one did not make me think of the other. why would this emblem automatically be football, what about rugby or cricket?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:33 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
Perhaps you have a different understanding of genocide.
I don't know, as I don't know what your definition is. Based on the following definition from Wikipedia, I believe I understand what the term is referring to.

While precise definition varies among genocide scholars, a legal definition is found in the 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG). Article 2, of this convention defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

I'm still learning Canadian history. I apologise for not learning it before I came to Canada, but it wasn't a required course when I was at school. I'm sure if one wants to be as broad as possible that Canada isn't the only country to have committed genocide against an ethnic, religious or social group in it's history.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:36 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i see your point, but surely tourists going to england see the flag, see the words, and see the t-shirt as representing their visit to england as a souvenir, not paid up members of the england football team fan club. we recently returned from new york, my daughter bought the obligatory i love(heart) NY t-shirt, and i got the yankees baseball cap, one did not make me think of the other. why would this emblem automatically be football, what about rugby or cricket?
Agreed. Some people only see what they want to see, especially if they see it as something negative. I would consider flying an England flag but I don't support the England football team.

England football team logo.

England flag.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 29th 2009 at 1:38 am.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
7 (again).
Oh bugger the details. Like Hook I'm still learning Canadian history. I'm slow.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:38 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rae
Football, England in particular, tends to attract a certain type of following that you dont get in rugby or cricket. One only has to look back at the riots in France 98 and the dozens of other bouts of hooliganism involving England fans.
Unfortunately, you tend to get a lot of drunken louts in city centre pubs when the football is on, and most bars will have a certain dress code at any time of day- no trainers, no baseball caps, no football gear... even no Burberry. Whilst I have sympathy for those that perhaps dont understand some of the connotations, you cannot have one rule for one, and another rule for someone else. That's one sure fire way to cause trouble.

I agree that a shirt with ENGLAND/Georges cross shouldnt simply equate to football, but unfortunately it does.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:43 am
Account Closed

I agree that a shirt with ENGLAND/Georges cross shouldnt simply equate to football, but unfortunately it does.
Not everyone who goes to England games cause trouble, it's usually a small minority who are out to cause trouble in any way possible.

Giving into the idiots who use the England flag as their banner just means they win.
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

I'm still learning Canadian history. I apologise for not learning it before I came to Canada, but it wasn't a required course when I was at school. I'm sure if one wants to be as broad as possible that Canada isn't the only country to have committed genocide against an ethnic, religious or social group in it's history.
I don't expect even other Canadians to know what I know. I'm not judging, I'm just stating my opinion. It's a product of what I took at uni (degrees in sociology and anthropology), people I know and my own personal experience with 'da man', that I'm very aware of the underbelly of Canada and that is why I wouldn't fly the flag.

Also, I generally think flags are quite gay...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy...eature=related
Account Closed

Not everyone who goes to England games cause trouble, it's usually a small minority who are out to cause trouble in any way possible.

Giving into the idiots who use the England flag as their banner just means they win.
I agree 100%.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:44 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh bugger the details. Like Hook I'm still learning Canadian history. I'm slow.
Actually I think it was 5 anyways... I'm shit with numbers.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:45 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Football, England in particular, tends to attract a certain type of following that you dont get in rugby or cricket. One only has to look back at the riots in France 98 and the dozens of other bouts of hooliganism involving England fans.
Unfortunately, you tend to get a lot of drunken louts in city centre pubs when the football is on, and most bars will have a certain dress code at any time of day- no trainers, no baseball caps, no football gear... even no Burberry. Whilst I have sympathy for those that perhaps dont understand some of the connotations, you cannot have one rule for one, and another rule for someone else. That's one sure fire way to cause trouble.

quite right, and you are preaching to the converted, i stood on the doors of more pubs on deansgate and city centre manchester, following more football trouble than i care to remember. However, this ingrate on the door got it wrong in my opinion, and it alludes to an earlier point of yobs taking over a symbol for their own ends and ruining it for the rest of us. just because this person has this opinion, does not make it correct, its quite the opposite.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Let's be honest, when it comes to genocide (and using the above definition) are there any countries more guilty than England?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rae
quite right, and you are preaching to the converted, i stood on the doors of more pubs on deansgate and city centre manchester, following more football trouble than i care to remember. However, this ingrate on the door got it wrong in my opinion, and it alludes to an earlier point of yobs taking over a symbol for their own ends and ruining it for the rest of us. just because this person has this opinion, does not make it correct, its quite the opposite.
But if anyone had argued the point and the law had got involved, you can bet the bouncer wouldn't be told to let them in. It's private property and the landlord has the right to refuse entry. They'll use any excuse.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
Keep this up. It'll probably be the 6-49 winner soon.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hwp
I know it's a serious subject, but just for a second I'd like to say that if a Canadian can't get it right, then how can we.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.