Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Are they indeed? That's news to me but what would I know? I only worked there for four years.
Probably went to the dogs after you left
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:53 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Probably went to the dogs after you left
Nah, productivity shot up.

I do get a bit racked off with what seems to be a constant slagging-off of the CIC people at the CHC. I knew many of them (most are probably still there). All very nice people and they worked their nuts off.

There seems to be a general conception that the CIC guys are there to help people make applications, to sort out problems and to be available 24/7 for advice. It ain't so. They are there to process applications, according to the policy and procedures set out by the Canadian government.

There is good reason for the CIC to make it so hard to contact them directly.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Can you get milk in bottles or cartons? Surely bagged milk isn't the only option?
Lots of cartons. My ex buys "jugs" of unpasturised milk directly from the farmer, the "jugs" are actually one gallon (US) mason jars.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Are they indeed? That's news to me but what would I know? I only worked there for four years.
Sorry if you took offence, but my own dreadful experience with them has led me to make this comment and I do not apologise. I stand by what I say.

Even now, long after our application process has been finished they continue to act the same. In this age of treating customers fairly, CHC has a lot to learn.

Souvenir, if you wants specifics of why I say this I will gladly pm you
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

I do get a bit racked off with what seems to be a constant slagging-off of the CIC people at the CHC. I knew many of them (most are probably still there). All very nice people and they worked their nuts off.

There seems to be a general conception that the CIC guys are there to help people make applications, to sort out problems and to be available 24/7 for advice. It ain't so. They are there to process applications, according to the policy and procedures set out by the Canadian government.

There is no good reason to ignore phone calls, emails and letters though, is there? Especially when they make totally illogical and unfair decisions. Almost four years after our application was refused my daughter is still banned from entering Canada for a holiday to visit her aunt!! We were informed that this may well be a lifelong ban, but trying to get confirmation of this is impossible.

For those who do not know, the ban was imposed because at the time of our medicals she was on a course of growth hormone to increase her height. This treatment is now completed, but she is still banned.....crazy!

Am I angry about them turning our application down...not anymore. Am I angry at the way they are treating my 17 year old daughter....too bloody true I am!

Last edited by Gray C; Apr 6th 2009 at 1:42 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

What is the good reason? Why don't they have some sort of helpline?

People pay good money to have their applications processed.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Souvenir, please tell me; Can you give me a satisfactory reason why they ignore my correspondence to them on such an important issue (important to my daughter anyway)?

She has already had to decline a holiday to Canada with friends, but is too embarrassed to tell them why, because she is banned from entering Canada!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
She has already had to decline a holiday to Canada with friends, but is too embarrassed to tell them why, because she is banned from entering Canada!
Are your daughter's initials GG?

<apologies for frivolity on an issue of importance to you, sort of>
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:21 pm

Souvenir, please tell me; Can you give me a satisfactory reason why they ignore my correspondence to them on such an important issue (important to my daughter anyway)?

I doubt that I can give you any answer that will satisfy you. From what I can see, your application was rejected on medical grounds. The CIC people would have applied the information they had to the rules and procedures that are set out by Ottawa. A "final" decision would then have been made and sent to you. I don't think the guys in London have much discretion with regard to creative interpretation of the rules. For them, it's probably case closed.

Have you looked at the Immigration and Refugee Board website? The IRB is a tribunal that handles appeals, and makes sure that the law is being applied correctly when applications are denied etc. I'm not sure if it handles appeals from people not already in Canada. You'd have to do some digging on that one. If you can get the case in front of the IRB, you will at least end up with a decision that is final-final.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I doubt that I can give you any answer that will satisfy you. From what I can see, your application was rejected on medical grounds. The CIC people would have applied the information they had to the rules and procedures that are set out by Ottawa. A "final" decision would then have been made and sent to you. I don't think the guys in London have much discretion with regard to creative interpretation of the rules. For them, it's probably case closed.

Have you looked at the Immigration and Refugee Board website? The IRB is a tribunal that handles appeals, and makes sure that the law is being applied correctly when applications are denied etc. I'm not sure if it handles appeals from people not already in Canada. You'd have to do some digging on that one. If you can get the case in front of the IRB, you will at least end up with a decision that is final-final.
We have tried every avenue open to us. I was led to believe that the appeals procedure through the Courts costs an arm and a leg and has a low success rate. Mind you it was Andrew Miller that told me this (maybe he wanted my money for a skiing trip?) I have wasted enough money on Canada....no more. We have contacted our own MP, an MP in Ontario, The Foreign Secretary and Judy in Calagary even raised our case with the Canadian Prime Minister! All the MPs got nowhere and the Canadian PM, took the easy route out by saying he does not interfere in Immigration.

As for CIC London, they completely ignore me, hence my comment about them being the most pig ignorant, bad mannered people on Earth. I hope you can see my point now!

Souvenir, I am sure you would not have ignored me of course!

Last edited by Gray C; Apr 9th 2009 at 7:05 am.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:51 am

We have tried every avenue open to us. I was led to believe that the appeals procedure through the Courts costs an arm and a leg and has a low success rate. Mind you it was Andrew Miller that told me this (maybe he wanted my money for a skiing trip?) I have wasted enough money on Canada....no more. We have contacted our own MP, an MP in Ontario, The Foreign Secretary and Judy in Calagary even raised our case with the Canadian Prime Minister! All the MPs got nowhere and the Canadian PM, took the easy route out by saying he does not interfere in Immigration.

As for CIC London, they completely ignore me, hence my comment about them being the most pig ignorant, bad mannered people on Earth. I hope you can see my point now!

Souvenir, I am sure you would not have ignored me of course!
Actually, I would probably have ignored you. The department I worked in was much more accessible to the outside world than the CIC (in terms of contact details) and in the same building. We received faxes very frequently, mostly from immigration agents, and not addressed to anyone in particular. The fax machine was next to a bin. I might have been more sympathetic to appropriately worded letters addressed to me personally.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I read about what happened to you at the time and remember thinking it was fairly typical of public sector organizations (wherever they are in the world) - sometimes decisions are made and actions are taken without any accountability at all.

[Personally I'll be glad of the day when the public sector remembers who pays their wages, the police (on both sides of the pond) remember who they are supposed to protect, and the government remember who they work for.]

Last edited by Alan2005; Apr 9th 2009 at 9:50 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
[Personally I'll be glad of the day when the public sector remembers who pays their wages........
You mean by taxes? The sort of taxes paid by...er...public sector employees?
They pay their own wages then
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'll admit to using that as a smart-arse reply one day when on the receiving end of a ranting male who went down the "I pay your wages" route

Edit: admittedly, not one of my finer moments but he really got my goat ....
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:24 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You mean by taxes? The sort of taxes paid by...er...public sector employees?
Er - yes - that's how the economy works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.