Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:31 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by act1980
Aren't all the liquor stores etc owned by the government?
Where?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Where?
In Ontario.

LCBO is government owned and so is the Beer Store. That's what I was told anyhow.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In Ontario.

LCBO is government owned and so is the Beer Store. That's what I was told anyhow.
The Beer Store is a monopoly owned by a couple of beer companies; hence the limited selection offered.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:55 pm

In Ontario.

The LCBO is, yes. The Beer Store is owned by a consortium of major brewers. It is regulated by the provincial government.

The same situation is not present in all parts of Canada. Here in QC, good wine and spirits are bought from the SAQ (similar to the LCBO). Table wine and beer, along with weak spirits and tart fuel, can be bought almost anywhere, including gas stations.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

The LCBO is, yes. The Beer Store is owned by a consortium of major brewers. It is regulated by the provincial government.

The same situation is not present in all parts of Canada. Here in QC, good wine and spirits are bought from the SAQ (similar to the LCBO). Table wine and beer, along with weak spirits and tart fuel, can be bought almost anywhere, including gas stations.
Yeah I don't think you can buy alcohol in supermarkets in Ontario can you.

The Beer Store's prices are inline with LCBO, I think the government doesn't let them undercut them as they would lose money then as I would assume is mostly tax on the alcohol.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:15 pm

Yeah I don't think you can buy alcohol in supermarkets in Ontario can you.

The Beer Store's prices are inline with LCBO, I think the government doesn't let them undercut them as they would lose money then as I would assume is mostly tax on the alcohol.
In general, you can't buy alcohol in supermarkets in Ontario. Some have outlets for individual Ontario wineries but for anything else you are stuck with the LCBO/Beer Store.

I don't think the LCBO and Beer Store really compete on beer sales. I haven't seen 24s in an LCBO.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

In general, you can't buy alcohol in supermarkets in Ontario. Some have outlets for individual Ontario wineries but for anything else you are stuck with the LCBO/Beer Store.

I don't think the LCBO and Beer Store really compete on beer sales. I haven't seen 24s in an LCBO.
Hi,

I meant compare in price.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:31 pm

Hi,

That, I don't know. I no longer live in Ontario and thus rarely buy booze there.

I imagine, however, that you wouldn't bulk-buy beer in an LCBO if there was a Beer Store nearby.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:38 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

That, I don't know. I no longer live in Ontario and thus rarely buy booze there.

I imagine, however, that you wouldn't bulk-buy beer in an LCBO if there was a Beer Store nearby.
That's right - different markets, LCBO sells beer on a lower volume, you can buy individual cans - useful if you're not sure whether something is going to be only fit for stripping walls.... The Beer Store sells in multiples of 6, though you pay extra for this privilege and it's most cost efficient to get a 24.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The province set's a minimum price for beer as a means to limit consumption
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK;
Doesn't work very well though, does it?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Wouldn't limiting consumption mean they'd get less tax revenue from it if the policy worked. It's like OLG telling people to gamble responsibly whilst running a lottery company.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 5:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
It's like OLG telling people to gamble responsibly whilst running a lottery company.
Discouraging smoking by putting graphic warnings on packaging and collecting taxes on tobacco products.

T'was ever thus.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Discouraging smoking by putting graphic warnings on packaging and collecting taxes on tobacco products.

T'was ever thus.
Maybe McDonalds, etc should be made to put health warnings on their burger packaging
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:16 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Wouldn't limiting consumption mean they'd get less tax revenue from it if the policy worked. It's like OLG telling people to gamble responsibly whilst running a lottery company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.