Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the food like in canada?

whats the food like in canada?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the food like in canada?

Good food in Canada.

Beef, the chicken tastes better too but costs more.
Bison
Corn, fresh corn from the farm is delish
Butter tarts
Mexican food, does that count? It's "in" Canada rather than Canadian.
Nice goats cheese made around here
Peaches from Niagara
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
This is oversimplifying things a bit.

Risks to human health of GMO foods, per se, are indeed negligible. But Dashie has touched on a couple of peripheral issues that are not so easy to dismiss.

First, engineering food crops to be resistant to herbicides and pesticides encourages the overuse of such herbicides and pesticides. It encourages large-scale monoculture, too - both these things (monoculture and overuse of chemical weedkillers/pesticides) are bad for the environment, in that they limit biodiversity, pollute watercourses, and end up poisoning great swathes of the Gulf of Mexico, for example.

Second, and I think this is actually much more insidious, is the IP licensing and enforcement by the big seed companies - AC mentions this above. Many (most?) varieties of GMO arable staples are engineered not only for resilience, but also for infertility. Farmers (especially those in poor and developing nations who could really do with the increased yields) cannot save seed from one year's crop to plant the next season. Fair enough, you might think, they're only protecting their investment. And while this isn't such a huge issue in the relatively affluent Western world, it is unconscionable to price susbsistence farmers and small growers in developing countries out of the market. They do not make enough money out of selling surplus grain to buy the seed stock for the next year, so either end up permanently in debt to the likes of Monsanto, or simply go out of business. This is, frankly, evil behaviour for a company that makes as much money as the seed manufacturers do. Despite repeated pleas from NGOs and international agencies to amend their commercial arrangements with farmers in sub-saharan Africa, for example, they repeatedly refuse to do so.
First issue is a matter of environmental regulation, not that of GMO, and given the number of people on the planet, monoculture is a modern reality. That or shrink the population!

Second issue is interesting and not something of which I was aware. Will have to learn more about it. As usual, good post
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Food in Canada is regional. The country is the size of a continent, after all. Different growing seasons, different climates, population/immigrant demographics, etc. This all influences food.

After spending some time in the Prairies and now back in Vancouver, it's shocking to see what I take for granted here (fresh local produce, fruit, seafood, cheese, etc.), which is clearly not available (to the same extent) all over Canada.

Rule of thumb: large urban areas (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal) will have better sources (diversity) of food than smaller urban areas (Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax).

Smaller towns? Good luck!

Last edited by Lychee; Aug 22nd 2013 at 9:52 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still trying to come to terms with the wild bores.

I think they're quite common.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I do have a chunk of Moose in my freezer, and we are going to try it this weekend! I am very excited.
I trust you came by it legally...wouldn't want you banged up as happened to someone a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Good food in Canada.

Bison
Butter tarts
Peaches from Niagara
Especially the Blackberries from Mexico. I'm still not used to the idea of paying for them rather than picking them at the roadside or cyclepath, but they are delicious.

Nice to have seedless water melon that is actually seedless. All my previous seedless water melons (in England) had water melon seeds in.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

I could have got VERY used to the food we had in California in July - wonderful fresh fruit and veg, delicious salads, excellent seafood etc., etc Mediterranean climate that does it....
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS
I could have got VERY used to the food we had in California in July - wonderful fresh fruit and veg, delicious salads, excellent seafood etc., etc Mediterranean climate that does it....
BC (especially the Okanagan) is a slice of California in Canada. If you get a chance to visit in July/August/September, do so... the peaches are !!!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm still trying to come to terms with the wild bores.

I think they're quite common.
If by wild you mean running free, then sadly there are a few, otherwise can wild really be boring?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lychee
BC (especially the Okanagan) is a slice of California in Canada. If you get a chance to visit in July/August/September, do so... the peaches are !!!
Lychee - we will! Also, the skiing looks to be great there too
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Good food in Canada.

Bison
Butter tarts
Peaches from Niagara
The Mexican food in Canada is not very good... but I grew up 7 miles from Mexico, so I might be expecting too much.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:12 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The Mexican food in Canada is not very good... but I grew up 7 miles from Mexico, so I might be expecting too much.
You might be. We have a real Mexican restaurant in Peterborough, run by Mexicans. I don't like the cactus much but at least I tried it
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You might be. We have a real Mexican restaurant in Peterborough, run by Mexicans. I don't like the cactus much but at least I tried it
I think of Toronto as the place where you can buy a passable example of any kind of meal, cooked by natives of the country of the cuisine, except Mexican. The head of the Mexican high commision when asked where one could get a meal that fairly represented his country could offer no better than "my house?".
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

On the GMO food issue the thing that offends me in Canada is that it's not lawful to advertise a product as being "GMO free" even if it is. The neighbours all have signage on their fields, "non GMO crop" but, by the time that crop is on the shop shelf, the biggest marketing advantage is lost.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:46 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think of Toronto as the place where you can buy a passable example of any kind of meal, cooked by natives of the country of the cuisine, except Mexican. The head of the Mexican high commision when asked where one could get a meal that fairly represented his country could offer no better than "my house?".
Pbro was too far for him?

I have never been to Mexico and this is my only knowledge of 'real' mexican food so I suppose I am on shakye ground, nevertheless those who know more tell me it's pukka.

http://lahaciendamexico.com/menu/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.