British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   whats the food like in canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/whats-food-like-canada-806845/)

lyn1972 Aug 22nd 2013 1:08 pm

whats the food like in canada?

Hi :)
Probably setting myself up here lol but is the food similar to the uk.? Roast dinners etc lol anything I should bring that you cant get ? :D

Souvy Aug 22nd 2013 1:13 pm

Re: whats the food like in canada?

Originally Posted by lyn1972 (Post 10863717)
Probably setting myself up here lol but is the food similar to the uk.? Roast dinners etc lol anything I should bring that you cant get ? :D

Not probably. Definitely.

Jingsamichty Aug 22nd 2013 1:14 pm

If you like chicken wings and pizza you'll be fine.

cheeky_monkey Aug 22nd 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by lyn1972 (Post 10863717)

If you cook your own roast dinners...why would they be any different:confused:

Souvy Aug 22nd 2013 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10863732)

Different voltage.

Simon Legree Aug 22nd 2013 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 10863730)
If you like chicken wings and pizza you'll be fine.

And poutine too ! Or how about a delightful Timmie's coffee and a sarnie with that wonderful honey mustard. A favorite with many folks on here. :)

Jingsamichty Aug 22nd 2013 1:28 pm

And green coleslaw.

With sugar in.

Shard Aug 22nd 2013 1:30 pm

These days food in Britain is so much closer to food in North America, especially eating out. Canadian restaurant portions tend to be larger as there is a custom of taking leftover food home with you (doggy bag). One possible annoyance you might find is that non-Brit Canadians will automatically assume that you haven't been exposed to good food simply because you come from Britain. Although that comment usually comes after the comments about incessant rain, and pea-souper fogs.

Souvy Aug 22nd 2013 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10863755)
These days food in Britain is so much closer to food in North America, especially eating out. Canadian restaurant portions tend to be larger as there is a custom of taking leftover food home with you (doggy bag). One possible annoyance you might find is that non-Brit Canadians will automatically assume that you haven't been exposed to good food simply because you come from Britain. Although that comment usually comes after the comments about incessant rain, and pea-souper fogs.

The last bit rings true.

Several years ago we were invited to a works do at a raclette/fondue place. One of the guys asked me if I'd ever been to a French restaurant before. I felt bound to point out to him that a) I lived in France for two years and b) the place we were in was Swiss-themed.

We never got another invite. Dunno why.

cbrown89 Aug 22nd 2013 1:44 pm

Food in Calgary/Edmonton/Loon Lake (places I have been) is all bland tasteless sugar/sodium saturated fat minced together products... I am sure there is some nice food out there but everything seems Supersized & Supertasteless.

I may be exaggerating a wee bit it's not that bad.

Dashie Aug 22nd 2013 1:59 pm

For us, we find there's a lot of processed food. There is in the UK too, but here it seems to be full of a lot more crap and less actual food. We buy the majority of our food at a local farmer's market and from local farmers now and make our own. Supermarket meat is generally factory farmed, and the cows are fed corn, which really makes them ill, then they are pumped full of antobiotics, but the meat is marbled nicely because of it...

I'm sure someone will come and complain about the price of cheese very soon.

There are places to get some British foods, with price tags that reflect import costs.

neilcumming Aug 22nd 2013 2:11 pm

I couldnt believe how much junk food "restaurants there are in canada and how accepted it is to see huge fat people in these places.I stopped ordering pizza delivery ,just crap.The steaks i have bought in safeway butcher counter have been reasonable ,my advice is to cook as much as you can at home and dont take recommendations of where to eat from canadians ,you will be disappointed.

lyn1972 Aug 22nd 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10863732)

Lol well im sure I read you dont get gravy in canada is that true

lyn1972 Aug 22nd 2013 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10863726)
Not probably. Definitely.

Lol well had to ask ....... :rofl:

Former Lancastrian Aug 22nd 2013 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by lyn1972 (Post 10863832)
Lol well im sure I read you dont get gravy in canada is that true

Define gravy? Just because its not made with Bisto granules doesn't mean its not gravy.