Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the food like in canada?

whats the food like in canada?

Old Aug 24th 2013, 4:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the food like in canada?

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree with this Lychee...the quality of food is there to be had in Canada if you want to go to that little bit more trouble... even in a small town like Peterborough I can get this.

There are bargains and quality to be had...personally being a batchelor (not by choice i may add) this is very difficult to achieve with so many other tasks i have to achieve in the two days i have off from work and still have my "me" time...but to your challenge, it is achievable even in a small town like Peterborough, and i do love my food! lol!
Different perceptions of the same town. I lived in the city until 4 years ago and it was pretty much impossible to find decent produce. Things have improved with the ne Superstore,Costco and Walmart though. Where is the butcher in Peterborough? I did notice that Independent supermarket has a fresh fish counter and that the produce looked good but when I lIved in the city I was not impressed by the food for sale. There is now a greengrocers on Lansdowne that is ok, Where is the bakers?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 4:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
There's a place less than 15 min walk from me with great real Mexican food, just like the little tiendas I remember from the old days. I think it's called Mann's, but Heidi in the kitchen is definately Mexican. If they had beer they'd know me a lot better! I'll have to go once more before I leave. There are Mexican fruit pickers here, so there's a little Mexican grocery too.
And for the folk nearer Toronto, there's a similar tienda in Bradford ON (of all places). I was astonished when I saw it there, but it is there for the same reason as yours. Hordes of seasonal farm workers from Mexico (etc.).
Old Aug 24th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Allowing for British 'Chinese' Curry (or is that 'British' Chinese?) being different from take-away to take-away as well, it's easy enough to replicate at home.

Onions into the pan in butter, add your meat - diced chicken or pork works best, but even ground beef is good too - and add curry powder and Bouillon powder. Mix it up, let it sizzle a bit then add water. Add veg...like peas. Let it simmer and then add mushrooms. If the mushrooms have a hint of green about them when added, there's enough curry powder - depending on your taste of course.

When you're happy that's cooked through, add a tin of cream of mushroom soup. This thickens the mix with no loss of taste.

After trying it once you should be able to work out what balance of bouillon/curry works for you.

Some of the cook in sauces in the jars work very well too...like the Thai yellow one.

As for cheese....buy Cracker Barrel extra old or PC extra old when it's on offer. The CB block is 400g rather than the usual 500g and is often available for $4.50-$5.00.

The Armstrong extra old is pretty good too but I only ever see that in a small size and then only at Shoppers DrugMart.

The ordinary, every day, 'old' stuff is no better than marbled cheese as far as I'm concerned.

But those three brands of extra old are at least as good as the stuff I remember being sold as 'Tasty' or Farmhouse cheddar back in the UK.
mmmmmm!! sounds great....im going to give that a try!! and really simple. Think i may do some egg fried rice whilst im at it! Cheers Bristol!

Paul

PS yes i do find that extra old cracker barrell is the best, when its on offer.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Different perceptions of the same town. I lived in the city until 4 years ago and it was pretty much impossible to find decent produce. Things have improved with the ne Superstore,Costco and Walmart though. Where is the butcher in Peterborough? I did notice that Independent supermarket has a fresh fish counter and that the produce looked good but when I lIved in the city I was not impressed by the food for sale. There is now a greengrocers on Lansdowne that is ok, Where is the bakers?
I think Peterborough has expanded somewhat since then, thats what the life long locals tell me anyway. (ive been here 3 and half years) The best butchers in Peterborough is Franz....hes on Landsdowne East, pretty pricey, but you certainly get what you pay for in the respect. Also I think there is a small butchers on corner of Charlotte and Park...never tired it though. Not sure about a Bakers, as i living alone I dont buy much bread it gets wasted. Superstore is pretty good for fresh veg.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 5:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think Peterborough has expanded somewhat since then, thats what the life long locals tell me anyway. (ive been here 3 and half years) The best butchers in Peterborough is Franz....hes on Landsdowne East, pretty pricey, but you certainly get what you pay for in the respect. Also I think there is a small butchers on corner of Charlotte and Park...never tired it though. Not sure about a Bakers, as i living alone I dont buy much bread it gets wasted. Superstore is pretty good for fresh veg.
Exactly my point, you can't do all of those things in Peterborough. I knkw Franz's, far too expensive. So two butchers in a town of 80000. Drive up the road a few miles to Lakefield and they have all those things.

It has improved in the past few years for sure but it still doesn't do it for me.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Shopping: you can go to your local supermarket and do a weekly shop. However, you will generally be paying more for inferior quality food.

I have never been able to understand this. When I have lived in Britain (the last time being in 2008) I haven't noticed the food being any better, or any worse, than what is available here in Canada, quality wise. Sure there are plenty of things available there that cannot be had here, and vice versa, but the quality was generally on par as far as I was concerned (I'll leave aside things like big bags of Tesco sausages for a quid or two as they don't bear thinking about).

Take produce for example. Many people here like to claim that British produce is vastly superior to Canadian produce but that wasn't my experience at all. You couldn't have paid me to eat the produce at my local Tesco and I often wondered how they could sell it at all as it looked disgusting. Because of that I would go a bit further along and get my produce at Sainsbury's as I found their quality and selection to be very good. But when eating it I didn't think it was any better than the Canadian produce I am used to eating here. To my mind the quality was on par with the Canadian stuff.

When it came to packaged foods from the major companies (Kraft, Kellogs, etc.) I didn't notice any difference either and I suspect that, with the exception of some minor ingredients that are or are not allowed in different countries (ie. coloring, preservatives, etc.), their stuff is made basically the same no matter where you get it (ie. a package of Kellogs cereal will be the same here as it is in Britain).

I sometimes wonder if people aren't looking back on the things they used to eat through rose coloured glasses and perhaps idealizing it a bit? My parents still do this with some British foods, so I am wondering if others might not be doing the same thing?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
I have never been able to understand this. ...

I sometimes wonder if people aren't looking back on the things they used to eat through rose coloured glasses and perhaps idealizing it a bit? My parents still do this with some British foods, so I am wondering if others might not be doing the same thing?
I was not making a Canada/UK comparison. I meant that supermarket food is generally inferior to food in specialized stores.

Where there is a difference between the two countries is that in the UK you can do one shop a week in a larger supermarket like some Tescos. Most things will be reasonably priced. Canadian supermarkets seem to have some things cheap and some things very expensive, so if you buy everything in one supermarket trip you will pay quite a lot more than you need. And, if you are going to pay more, then you might as well go to the stores that care about selling quality food.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
When it came to packaged foods from the major companies (Kraft, Kellogs, etc.) I didn't notice any difference either and I suspect that, with the exception of some minor ingredients that are or are not allowed in different countries (ie. coloring, preservatives, etc.), their stuff is made basically the same no matter where you get it (ie. a package of Kellogs cereal will be the same here as it is in Britain).
Other than possible GM contents, which has to be labeled in the uk and not in NA
Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFbQVUlK6pc

Poutine is one reason I will never become totally assimilated
Good video.

What's not to like?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I was not making a Canada/UK comparison. I meant that supermarket food is generally inferior to food in specialized stores.

Where there is a difference between the two countries is that in the UK you can do one shop a week in a larger supermarket like some Tescos. Most things will be reasonably priced. Canadian supermarkets seem to have some things cheap and some things very expensive, so if you buy everything in one supermarket trip you will pay quite a lot more than you need. And, if you are going to pay more, then you might as well go to the stores that care about selling quality food.
Or not go to stores at all (at least for "produce" or fruit and veggies in English).

Here we buy all of our above categories from street markets or direct from farms, (we even do that latter in Ontario). It's cheaper, better and way more fun.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Good video.
What's not to like?
I have never had poutine, but someday I will. It's inevitable.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:42 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to make and actually has the same recipe as grits:

Liquidise 2 cups of fresh *vomit
Add salt
Add some more salt
Add sugar
Add more salt
Drop on floor
Serve

*Grits uses an alternative bodily fluid

Last edited by Greenhill; Aug 24th 2013 at 7:45 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmm!! sounds great....im going to give that a try!! and really simple.
Oh....that's concentrated cream of mushroom BTW
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Good video.

What's not to like?
All of it.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Speechless Are you sure you're not American?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.