Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the food like in canada?

whats the food like in canada?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the food like in canada?

Originally Posted by Souvy
Delia is the god of cooking (her wild mushroom risotto is to die for). That recipe, however, tells me how to cook the beef. I need to know what to do with the other stuff and when.
Yorkshire puddings come out of Loblaws packaging and into the oven four minutes before serving, while the roast is standing.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:52 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Delia is the god of cooking (her wild mushroom risotto is to die for). That recipe, however, tells me how to cook the beef. I need to know what to do with the other stuff and when.
http://recipes.ianrenton.com/the-gre...r-timing-chart
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
In its simplest form french fries (chips) cheese curds and gravy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFbQVUlK6pc

Poutine is one reason I will never become totally assimilated
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Souvy - get Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, best roast I have ever cooked!

And Lyn, I have found bisto gravy granules in every supermarket I've looked for them. Bisto best at the local British shop.
Plus one on this one, you could even look at his recipes online. Every Jamie Oliver recipe I have attempted comes out looking very similar to the pic and very tasty, can't say the same for Mr Ramseys' concoctions
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:56 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Venison is common here, farmed or wild. Elk and ostrich are also widely available, the latter always being farmed.
I've only seen Elk and Bison at specialty butchers and I've never seen Ostrich.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:57 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

My recommendation for the beef, for two people, would be a 1kg (2.2lb) chunk of prime rib. Pick the bloodiest, nicely marbled cut that you can find.

At least 3 hours prior to cooking give it a good rub with a quality soy sauce and cover it in coarse ground black pepper. Cover it with something to keep the flies off and leave it out of the fridge to allow it to completely warm up to room temperature.

To cook it, slap it in a roasting pan or pie dish with a cut up onion and stand it on one side, sort-of balanced on the bone. Stick it in a very hot oven (450F should do it) for 20 mins then turn the temperature down to 375F for around 40 minutes. You can use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature for your required level of doneness but usually for this size and shape of cut it should come out rare or medium rare.

If it's a bit too bloody in the middle then just wrap it in tin foil for a bit. But, really, this is where you should man-up, pick it up in your hands and start eating it in a ravenous fashion. If anyone comes near to you, growl at them like a rabid dog. Eat it all down and spend the rest of the day chewing on the bones and drinking beer. This might be best done in a garage or shed, consider locking yourself in and placing a sign on the door with the two words "**** OFF" printed in capital letters on it. A few cow blood smudged finger prints on the sign is also recommended.

As a first attempt, I will cook for two people. I am looking at:

Roast beef
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I've only seen Elk and Bison at specialty butchers and I've never seen Ostrich.
Another reason to move to Ontario then.

I can't stand Jamie Oliver and I don't have enough spit to replicate his creations. I did like the River Cottage Meat Book though and had good luck with the suggestions therein.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:04 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
These days food in Britain is so much closer to food in North America, especially eating out. Canadian restaurant portions tend to be larger as there is a custom of taking leftover food home with you (doggy bag). One possible annoyance you might find is that non-Brit Canadians will automatically assume that you haven't been exposed to good food simply because you come from Britain. Although that comment usually comes after the comments about incessant rain, and pea-souper fogs.
For most of the 20th century British food/cooking was the laughing stock of the world. The entry into Europe thankfully changed that although, IMO, restaurant food is still much superior in North America overall.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
when in doubt refer to the almighty of cooking
St Delia

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-co...oast-beef.html
Amen to that sister. A well thumbed copy of Delia's original recipe book is my bible, particularly for the traditional dishes.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:09 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS
In Calgary its surf n' turf....
Yes but in Calgary isn't "surf & turf" fish fingers and bologna ?

Here in N S it's steak and lobster.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

lyn1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys I am now hungry
All sounds pretty good......

Going off subject ........slightly lol ........ t.v....... here we have sky tv ...... we love it ..... my little girl loves disney junior chanel ..... with long winters will want my t.v lol ...... do you have sky tv out there . ? If not what? Do you get english tv ......cant say im that fussed but I like emmerdale ...... also disney channels? ?......... thanks again
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

lyn1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Yes but in Calgary isn't "surf & turf" fish fingers and bologna ?

Here in N S it's steak and lobster.
Oh so whats a surf and turf in edmonton then. .....
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:17 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Amen to that sister. A well thumbed copy of Delia's original recipe book is my bible, particularly for the traditional dishes.
We are sort of getting to where I want to be but we're missing the essentials. The beef bit seems to be sorted but what do I do with the other bits and when?

On principle, I would prefer to make my own puds.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyn1972
Thanks guys I am now hungry
All sounds pretty good......

Going off subject ........slightly lol ........ t.v....... here we have sky tv ...... we love it ..... my little girl loves disney junior chanel ..... with long winters will want my t.v lol ...... do you have sky tv out there . ? If not what? Do you get english tv ......cant say im that fussed but I like emmerdale ...... also disney channels? ?......... thanks again
sky tv is a europe thing due to satellite poitioning etc

cable / satellite TV providers depend on the region
In Toronto Bell and Rogers are the big ones. You can google their websites to see the kind of dross they offer
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

We are sort of getting to where I want to be but we're missing the essentials. The beef bit seems to be sorted but what do I do with the other bits and when?

On principle, I would prefer to make my own puds.
You'll want the meat to be on some sort of rack over a roasting pan. The carrots and spuds go into the pan at a timing that can only really be determined by practise, I go at an hour and 10 for the carrots/parsnips and an hour for the spuds, turning them three times. A couple of onions go in with the carrots. Don't forget to allow that the meat has to come out and sit but the vegetables don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.