Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the food like in canada?

whats the food like in canada?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:35 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the food like in canada?

The most recent lobsters we ate, that came from the Caribou fishermen, were stuffed and barbecued. Have your tried them cooked that way? It was my first time (I've previously only eaten them boiled) and they were actually pretty good.

I think the stuffing was comprised of lobster livers, garlic, butter, breadcrumbs and possibly some complementary spices other than the usual seasoning.

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'm a lobster fan! We used to have lobster night at the bar back in the '80s, get cases flown in from Pictou Island Fisherman's Co-op and boil them up out on the roof on Coleman stoves. Iirc $25 paid for 2 big lobsters and a bottle of red. That was a great event to volunteer at the bar as we got the leftover lobsters.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
What do you care? It is only recently you stated you don't have/own a TV set.
I don't care. I don't have a (connected) television. Neither do I have a radio (except Sirius). I'm still exposed to Canadian television and radio now and then and so can't help knowing that it's no better now than when I did have a television and radio. Are you going to try and make the case that Canadian television is watchable?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

My fail safe Yorkshire pudding recipe is here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9...shire-puddings

I'm looking forward to being a housewife for a while when we get to Canada (On) it'll give me time to locate all the lovely farmers markets I'm hearing about and really figure out how to "cook Canadian"
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to be aware of with food here, is that they are not required to label whether there are any GMO elements or not. This goes for everything from apples to cookies, flours, meats, everything. I tend to stick with organic/local where I can, although there are still no guarantees, but it's the best I can do. It doesn't bother everyone I know, but I also know people who have moved over, weren't aware, then looked with horror at all of the No Name brand ingredients in their kitchen cupboard.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

lyn1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Bella Cullen;10864291]My fail safe Yorkshire pudding recipe is here:

I'm looking forward to being a housewife for a while when we get to Canada (On) it'll give me time to locate all the lovely farmers markets I'm hearing about and really figure out how to "cook Canadian" [/QUOTE

Sounds like a very good plan to me......
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Something else to be aware of with food here, is that they are not required to label whether there are any GMO elements or not. This goes for everything from apples to cookies, flours, meats, everything. I tend to stick with organic/local where I can, although there are still no guarantees, but it's the best I can do. It doesn't bother everyone I know, but I also know people who have moved over, weren't aware, then looked with horror at all of the No Name brand ingredients in their kitchen cupboard.
What do you believe the difference is?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:20 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyn1972
Hi
is the food similar to the uk.?
In the round? I'd say so. You'll likely not starve for lack of something you can stomach.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:23 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

big cheese eaters too
I suspect, once you arrive, you'll no longer be big cheese eaters lol
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
My fail safe Yorkshire pudding recipe is here:

I'm looking forward to being a housewife for a while when we get to Canada (On) it'll give me time to locate all the lovely farmers markets I'm hearing about and really figure out how to "cook Canadian"
Sounds like a very good plan to me......
Mostly cause I've never been one before (except when I was on maternity leave with my 5 year old)
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What do you believe the difference is?
GMO has been messed about with a little too much for my liking, non-organic has been sprayed too much for my liking, and I prefer my food to be more on the natural side. Yes I'm aware that hybrid varieties both naturally occurring and humanly encouraged have been around for centuries, but engineering something that is specifically resistant to plant killing pesticides so you can just spray everything, including that which is bound for our plates, doesn't sound appetising to me. All down to personal preference, some people care, others don't. If you do, it's good to know
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

GMO has been messed about with a little too much for my liking, non-organic has been sprayed too much for my liking, and I prefer my food to be more on the natural side. Yes I'm aware that hybrid varieties both naturally occurring and humanly encouraged have been around for centuries, but engineering something that is specifically resistant to plant killing pesticides so you can just spray everything, including that which is bound for our plates, doesn't sound appetising to me. All down to personal preference, some people care, others don't. If you do, it's good to know
So, I'm guessing you wouldn't be a fan of this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
So, I'm guessing you wouldn't be a fan of this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143
Lol! Um... no. I think it's clever what they have done, but I can't see it making it to supermarket shelves in the UK for the time being
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! Um... no. I think it's clever what they have done, but I can't see it making it to supermarket shelves in the UK for the time being
You say that, but the supermarkets have been dishing out horse (up until recently)!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have no problem with horsemeat. As long as it's not GMO fed..lol! Lying, or omitting information about our food? Not so much a fan of that regardless of what's not being said, horsemeat, corn or anything else.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. Other than intellectual property concerns, I have no issue with GM food. As you have stated, it is simply taking what farmers have done for centuries and made it faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.