Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Top 5 things about Canada

Wikiposts

Top 5 things about Canada

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 5 things about Canada

Originally Posted by snowcandy
In no particular order:

1.Amazing big blue skies and beautiful clear night skies filled with stars.
2.Stunning scenery and wildlife encounters.
3.Life is less stressful and we have more family fun together, especially outside summer and winter.
4.Lots of space, never feels crowded (just avoid Lake Louise during summer months)
5.Extreme weather- minus 40 this winter, last summer so hot, freaky electric storms and golf ball hail and I no longer need to own an umbrella!

I could go on and on............
When have you witnessed golf ball hail? I have been in Calgary for 5 years and have never seen it. I understand that the powers that be spray something into the atmosphere to ensure it doesn't happen anymore.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:29 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
When have you witnessed golf ball hail? I have been in Calgary for 5 years and have never seen it. I understand that the powers that be spray something into the atmosphere to ensure it doesn't happen anymore.
We live in Airdrie, July 2011...check this out! (you can look at the dents on our car if you don't believe me )

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/you...4/upload/2/786
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:01 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Airdrie, July 2011...check this out! (you can look at the dents on our car if you don't believe me )

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/you...4/upload/2/786
Some five years ago I experienced a hailstorm here. Damage to the house was $24,000 and to the cars $7,000.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC there was an incident not so long ago within Calgary too. But frequent it is not
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:46 am
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

1. Sweet potato fries - mentioned numerous times, but worth another
2. More house for less money
3. There`s more of a general sense of optimism instead of impending doom
4. Great scenery, lots of space
5. My guilty pleasure; hockey. I know, I know
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

In no particular order:

1.Amazing big blue skies and beautiful clear night skies filled with stars.
2.Stunning scenery and wildlife encounters.
3.Life is less stressful and we have more family fun together, especially outside summer and winter.
4.Lots of space, never feels crowded (just avoid Lake Louise during summer months)
5.Extreme weather- minus 40 this winter, last summer so hot, freaky electric storms and golf ball hail and I no longer need to own an umbrella!

I could go on and on............
I like this list !
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 7:17 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
My top five things

1. It's close to the US for shopping.

I like this list but I will be kind and add:
2. proximity to ocean (for us in NS)
3. lakes for swimming in summer and skating in winter
4. Nope can't think of anymore
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

This is the view of someone who used to live in the UK & Canada but now living in the US:

1. Universal healthcare - not having to deal with health insurance companies.
2. A multi-party democracy - not the 2 party system we have in the US that creates political gridlock.
3. The great outdoors - scenery, wildlife, space, sports and other recreational activities.
4. The people - generally friendly, helpful and welcoming of immigrants - I feel more welcome and safer there.
5. The education system - consistently ranked high globally and ranked higher than the US and UK - relatively low cost of attending university.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Getting a dirty great Tax refund !!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:42 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much agree with many of the above but also...

1. Supermarkets are no way near as crowded as UK ones. I can walk around with my trolley, sorry, shopping cart with ease and rarely have to queue at the checkout. Such a difference from my Asda shopping days!! Plus the staff are usually more cheerful and bend over backwards to help you pack and even offer to to help you take your groceries to the car.

2. Which leads me on to more relaxed, less uptight service generally. Even in the bank, friendly laid back staff, no glass petitions either.

3. Talking of banks, drive through ATMs!

4. Easy free parking when I go to the shopping mall. In the UK when I went into town for a bit of girlie shopping, I'd spend about half an hour looking for a parking space which would cost me a fortune for just a couple of hours.

5. My in-laws don't live here!!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

NicknBridget is an unknown quantity at this point

Being back in the 1970's

Being able to carry out witchcraft, while naked, in the front yard[/QUOTE]

So true, and I love your last one - it's perfectly true
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Pretty much agree with many of the above but also...

1. Supermarkets are no way near as crowded as UK ones. I can walk around with my trolley, sorry, shopping cart with ease and rarely have to queue at the checkout. Such a difference from my Asda shopping days!! Plus the staff are usually more cheerful and bend over backwards to help you pack and even offer to to help you take your groceries to the car.

2. Which leads me on to more relaxed, less uptight service generally. Even in the bank, friendly laid back staff, no glass petitions either.

3. Talking of banks, drive through ATMs!

4. Easy free parking when I go to the shopping mall. In the UK when I went into town for a bit of girlie shopping, I'd spend about half an hour looking for a parking space which would cost me a fortune for just a couple of hours.

5. My in-laws don't live here!!
Love No 5, why didn't I think of that
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

1. Having a 2,400 Sq ft house near-ish to the downtown. No way in hell we would have had that in London.
2. Public education generally in a pretty good state.
3. Annoying family are miles away.
4. Numerous tax credits available if you seek them out.
5. Proper seasons, the space, generally friendly people (another 3, sorry!)
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by London Mike
1. Having a 2,400 Sq ft house near-ish to the downtown. No way in hell we would have had that in London.
2. Public education generally in a pretty good state.
3. Annoying family are miles away.
4. Numerous tax credits available if you seek them out.
5. Proper seasons, the space, generally friendly people (another 3, sorry!)
I agree with 1, 3, and 5. For 2 I'd say easier access to higher education (left school in 1979 with 2 CSEs..now have a degree gained in Toronto) and 4 is proximity to the USA which I love.

6. Is proximity of Toronto to UK.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:08 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

1) my Canadian husband
2) my Canadian family
3) our wicked awesome rural way of life
4) summer
5) all the outdoorsy stuff I would never had had the opportunity to do in the UK that seems so normal and everyday here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.