Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Top 5 things about Canada

Top 5 things about Canada

Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 5 things about Canada

Originally Posted by chungyuk
5. Close to the UK.
That'd be Paris, not Toronto.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Stephen47 will become famous soon enoughStephen47 will become famous soon enough

I meant compare to other expats countries such as Australia/New Zealand.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chungyuk
I meant compare to other expats countries such as Australia/New Zealand.
That's certainly true but there are barriers to travel from here that make the UK seem very far away. Cost is a consideration, the airport taxes are very high, but the main one is the lack of time off. I'm rather jealous of my daughter, who lives in London, in terms of travel, this month Turkey, last month Switzerland, the one before the Canaries, etc. etc.

I'd say the lack of ability to travel to anywhere different is a disadvantage of being in Canada rather than a top 5 feature. Better from Toronto than Moose Jaw admittedly.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's certainly true but there are barriers to travel from here that make the UK seem very far away. Cost is a consideration, the airport taxes are very high, but the main one is the lack of time off. I'm rather jealous of my daughter, who lives in London, in terms of travel, this month Turkey, last month Switzerland, the one before the Canaries, etc. etc.

I'd say the lack of ability to travel to anywhere different is a disadvantage of being in Canada rather than a top 5 feature. Better from Toronto than Moose Jaw admittedly.
Yep - North America does tend to be very homogenous when compared to Europe. It's hard to beat Europe in terms of variety (culture, language, etc). Travelling from France into Germany is a hell of a lot more interesting than travelling from Texas into Arkansas. Proximity to continental Europe is definitely one big advantage of living in the UK.

There are pockets of different cultures (e.g. Quebec) and different environments (mountains, oceans, deserts, etc) in North America but you do have to travel a much greater distance to experience something different.

I want to cry when my friends and relatives tell me stories about the great deals they've been able to find on flights to Europe. My dad went to Barcelona recently for what seemed like peanuts in comparison to what we pay for flights here.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

tribec is an unknown quantity at this point

1. The opportunity to be as successful as you wish. It does not matter where you come from.
2. Friendly people.
3. Schools for our children are fantastic.
4. The Rockies, Kananaskis, Jasper, Banff etc.
5. MUCH better standard of living than UK.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

dudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Top 5 things about Canada

1. USA on doorstep for shopping.
2. Being asked if we know a particular person in the old country!
3. children's summer camps
4. Big houses w/o having to love to Scotland
5. Warm summers , won't mention the bugs I have a screened porch
Old Mar 7th 2012, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

dudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant future

That was meant to say MOVE to Scotland, sorry!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
1. Its easy to tell people who ask you where you are from rather than thinking do I say England, the UK or Great Britain.
2. You only need to be concerned with one road to get across it.
3. Less chavs, pikeys, cockneys, scousers etc etc.
4. No TOWIE
5. mmmmm Im running out of things but the scenery is spectacular from the frozen tundra of the North (Regina not included), the Rockies, our lakes being a touch bigger than the Lake District, and wide open spaces to escape to.
3. OYYYY! not every one from Liverpool is a scouser! I'm from Merseyside and I have a very soft accent - so there!!!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Stephen47 will become famous soon enoughStephen47 will become famous soon enough

1. Better standard of living in Canada then in the UK
2. No yob/binge drinking culture
3. Friendly people.
4. Close to the USA
5. Proper 4 seasons and longer summers.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

1. Its easy to tell people who ask you where you are from rather than thinking do I say England, the UK or Great Britain.
2. You only need to be concerned with one road to get across it.
3. Less chavs, pikeys, cockneys, scousers etc etc.
4. No TOWIE
5. mmmmm Im running out of things but the scenery is spectacular from the frozen tundra of the North (Regina not included), the Rockies, our lakes being a touch bigger than the Lake District, and wide open spaces to escape to.
OYYY! I'm a lovely Liverpool lady and I'm not Scouse! thats a stew where I come from
Old Mar 8th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually if the truth be known they did affect me in my previous job which was arresting them for all types of crimes in particular the scousers who would send teams of shoplifters and car thieves to Preston to ply their trade.
OYYYY stop generalising !!!
Old Coppers are the worst - and I should know - I'm married to one
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
OYYYY stop generalising !!!
Old Coppers are the worst - and I should know - I'm married to one
So what are his impressions of scousers?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:34 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

What's a scouser? It sounds like a cleaning product.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Oh if you invite them into your house they will certainly clean you out of your possessions
Scouser ; Person from Liverpool whereas scouse is a Liverpool delicacy.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It is... nothing much left lying around when thy've passed by

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.