Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something light-hearted!

Something light-hearted!

Old May 18th 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

good evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to all
Default Re: Something light-hearted!

Well you've started something now - let me see....
1. English bread - remember how it goes "clunk" when you eat it and you really feel full. Why is bread here so expensive in comparison, and so awful? Does Canada sell its wheat to the Brits? It's not GM - it was like this back in the 80's when we lived here before, and GM stuff wasn't around.
2. Linda McCartney stuff - specially the sausages.
3. A real proper curry. A new place opened in Hyde before we left and they do THE best veggie Rogan Josh ever.
4. Sainsbury's own brand soya mince.
5. Branston pickle - especially the hot one.
6. Chip shop chips and mushy peas.
7. Cadbury's choclate - it's better in the UK than here - something to do with the water? Milk? What?
8. The best take away pizza, ever, in Brighton where my daughter lives.
9. Tomatoes that taste of tomatoes - I'm going to grow my own this year.
10.Snack a Jacks - the little cheesy ones.
11.Marmite at a decent price

I'm sure there's more...makes you wonder doesn't it - if we all miss this stuff why did we come here? LOL
Old May 18th 2006, 9:20 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
ASDA? How can you go to asda, you get hairy men with no tops on sweating over the fruit and veg in the summer, don't get that in Sainsbury and Marks and Spencers food stores!!

I do actually miss Richmond Sausages though, and like you there is always a jar of Ranch dressing in the fridge!

Mark
What ASDA do you shop at then? I always shop at ASDA and have never found this.

Mind you the ASDA that I shop at is located in one of the most expensive post codes in the South East.

Raine
Old May 18th 2006, 9:50 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by good evans
3. A real proper curry. A new place opened in Hyde before we left and they do THE best veggie Rogan Josh ever.
LOL
What the hells going on in Canada then, aren't the Indian immigrants in Canada as good at cooking as in England ?

And do Canada let in second rate Italian cooks who can't do a decent Pizza ?

Tomatoes ?* We love them so looks like we'll have to grow our own, but what's the problem, can't anyone grow them properly ?

Something strange is going on if people can't get decent Curry's or Pizza ? :scared:
What about Chinese takeaway ?
Old May 18th 2006, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Hi Jaycee,

Salmon of course is one of the cheaper fish here also at around £6/kilo or £2.80/lb, 20 years ago it was the most expensive !
Others are :
Cod/Haddock £7.50/kg or £3.50/lb
Halibut £8.50/kg or £4.00/lb
Just seen some Black Tiger Prawns at £30/kg
What's the prices like in CAD Dollars ?
Of course do parts of Canada eat Freshwater fish like Carp ?
Gary
You know Garfield, I'm gonna have to do a bit of research and get back to you on this one.....knowing my luck, the way my advice has been going lately, I'll find out that fish over here is nowhere near as expensive as the UK LOL
Old May 19th 2006, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
What the hells going on in Canada then, aren't the Indian immigrants in Canada as good at cooking as in England ?

And do Canada let in second rate Italian cooks who can't do a decent Pizza ?

Tomatoes ?* We love them so looks like we'll have to grow our own, but what's the problem, can't anyone grow them properly ?

Something strange is going on if people can't get decent Curry's or Pizza ? :scared:
What about Chinese takeaway ?
Calgary and Edmonton have a pretty good choice of curry houses, but there's just none here in Red Deer and sometimes I crave a proper curry - Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi, Pilau & Peshwari Naan!! *Note to any Indian Restaurant Entrepeneurs in the UK who want to make the biggest $$$ opening up a curry house - Red Deer has NONE.....no competition!!

Pizza - no problem, they're everywhere! Best ones here are Pizza 73 and Panago
Old May 19th 2006, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Chipotle will become famous soon enoughChipotle will become famous soon enough

If ribena is so expensive, how about those frozen fruit juices you simply dunk in water. Can't remember the name, but are v. good especially on hot summer days like those when we last visited.

Also how about those lovely Indian lentils to make dhal, can you get them in Canada?

Chipotle
Old May 19th 2006, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by good evans
1. English bread - remember how it goes "clunk" when you eat it and you really feel full. Why is bread here so expensive in comparison, and so awful? Does Canada sell its wheat to the Brits? It's not GM - it was like this back in the 80's when we lived here before, and GM stuff wasn't around.
2. Linda McCartney stuff - specially the sausages.
4. Sainsbury's own brand soya mince.
5. Branston pickle - especially the hot one.
7. Cadbury's choclate - it's better in the UK than here - something to do with the water? Milk? What?
10.Snack a Jacks - the little cheesy ones.
11.Marmite at a decent price

I'm sure there's more...makes you wonder doesn't it - if we all miss this stuff why did we come here? LOL
Great list! A little Karma sent as a substitute for your curry!

Haven't see the hot Branston Pickle but the regular one is apparently made by Smuckers (if I recall being sad enough to read the label) in Ontario under the Cross & Blackwell name. I have some on my chicken sandwich for lunch today! They sell it at Sobeys and I've seen it at the No Frills in Bradford, ON.

I would love a decent curry house to open up near me.... even a short drive away. I don't even have a pub in my town, just a tiny 'sports bar' which always looks lifeless.

In total agreement about the Linda McCartney sausages too - those are amazing! Been 3 years since I've had them!
Old May 19th 2006, 6:03 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chipotle
Also how about those lovely Indian lentils to make dhal, can you get them in Canada?
You can get basic North American red or green 'lentil soup' lentils (not sure what they're called, if anything) pretty much anywhere but if you live where there are a lot of people from Asia you'll probably be able to find all sorts of different kinds.

There's an Indian restaurant in Victoria (Da Tandoor on Fort St) that sells ingredients: spices, lentils, tamarinds, chickpea flour etc... right at the front of the restaurant for some reason.

Not sure if this is usual in other areas of Canada but it might be a source.

Chipotles are something I've actually brought to the UK, I can't find them here at all.
Old May 19th 2006, 11:09 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandyg
This is worrying!!!!
No pataks Balti in Canada :scared: Their factory is only 3 miles away from me, balti is my favorite, might have to re-think this immigration

just joking i'll find a way to get it shipped over
You can get jars of PATAKS - it's imported from the UK
Old May 19th 2006, 11:11 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
In a way I'm glad we're not there to eat them now and seeing as the sausages here look like they're full of chunks of meat and fat, my OH insists we don't eat them now.......we do eat a lot of weiners though but please don't give me the grosseez and tell me what goes in them LOL
Jaycee have you tired (yeah i am tired, I guess I meant tried) smokies yet?
Old May 19th 2006, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Potato Croquettes must be available in this country somewhere

I've seen them, i think in Canadian Stupid Store.
Old May 19th 2006, 11:14 pm

Thnx Pauline & Butch for the feedback....will make sure I give those places a phone call first to check they have it in stock.....an hour and a half's drive is worth it when you know your prize is at the end, but not when you reach the store and find they only stock Madras, Rogan & Vinda!! I do actually make all my curries from scratch using pure ingredients and spices, but I love to have the Balti handy to make on my "lazy days" That's another thing I'm having trouble getting hold of here in R/D.....whole coriander seed. Supermarkets only sell the ground coriander but it's naff and tasteless, it's the whole seed ground up fresh that gives the best flavours. We have an East Indian owned gas station behind where we live that sells it. They get it brought over, from some warehouse in Vancouver, so I bought a bag. I got it home, opened the bag to start grinding the seeds in my coffee grinder but found little brown bugs crawling in the bag....yes, BUGS - live and dead ones :scared: I ended up getting my S.I.L. to send me over a bag of coriander seed from Morrisons but all in all she ended up paying nearly 5 quid to send a tiny bag over that will last me about 2 weeks! Surely coriander seed is available in other stores in Alberta - would appreciate help on that one too. Other than the Balti paste & whole coriander issue, I'm pretty much happy with everything I buy here
Jaycee have you tried Nutters - I've been told to go there for Bouquet Garnis but haven't made it yet.........Mybe we could take a gander after timmies? Actually have you tried that funny bakery place attached to gullivers? Maybe we should do that instead of timmies?
Old May 19th 2006, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by dentaltech
SQUEEZY MARMITE IS OUT !!! i think when we finally come over i will have to bring marmite with me , my boys ( 46, 18 , 15 ) live and breathe marmite.

i love these threads , they make me laugh , i am not in canada yet but i am sure i will start missing the Walkers crisps , especially the new flavours out at the moment , cadburys chocolate , paxo etc.
ribena and cordials , although i do find £4.25 ( yes pounds ) for 1 litre of ribena a bit steep.
i am bit of a baking freak , make all own cakes , i think i read on another thread self raising flour was difficult to find :scared: is this true ?

i took my first trip to Morrisons here in the south last week , i thought it was worse than asda ( although ours is walmart ) so jumbled up , the aisles were all messy , maybe i am biased i am a sainsburys fan !
You can get marmite - if you look at the ingredients - it's different but it all tastes the same!
Old May 19th 2006, 11:18 pm

Hi HWP! I can get parsnips here as well as sweet on the vine toms. But I do miss the food labelling, must admit that....they don't show any indications of additives (E numbers) in kids sweets or drinks, and I like to know what the calorific value is on foods so I can work out how many "points" they are -when I've been naughty and over-indulged - which now I'm over here I find hard not to cos the food is too nice
daughter is into some bright blue drink stuff at the mo......only let her have it in the morning, occasionally, god alone knows whats actually in it.......never seena bright blue something growing!
Old May 19th 2006, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
They actually show that on The Food Network here, but call it Jamie's School Lunch project!!

Only been here 7 weeks and already missing Marmite (I know it's in Superstore but $4 for the smallest jar I don't think so), Galaxy chocolate and my local Ruby Murray

However I can get my Root Beer (even a diet version now), Reeces pieces, Three Musketeers bars, DQ Blizzards (YUM), and Tims donuts (not that I indulge too much on those )

Reeces pieces uurrrgh YUK - Caramel one UUUUrrrrGGGHh Yukkier - daughter loves 'em

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.