Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something light-hearted!

Something light-hearted!

Old May 17th 2006, 6:44 pm
AD74

Andrew74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Something light-hearted!

Just here working away and have a craving for a good Indian! Are there any here that serve up the same as home?? Just a Peshwari naan would help!
Old May 17th 2006, 6:45 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Hi Jaycee,
Maybe you should get a video of Jamie Olivers School Dinners series, he shows school kids all the crap that went into chicken nuggets and something disgusting called Turkey Twizzlers, I am sure Richmond sausages are in the same category.
They actually show that on The Food Network here, but call it Jamie's School Lunch project!!

Only been here 7 weeks and already missing Marmite (I know it's in Superstore but $4 for the smallest jar I don't think so), Galaxy chocolate and my local Ruby Murray

However I can get my Root Beer (even a diet version now), Reeces pieces, Three Musketeers bars, DQ Blizzards (YUM), and Tims donuts (not that I indulge too much on those )
Old May 17th 2006, 10:13 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
They actually show that on The Food Network here, but call it Jamie's School Lunch project!!

Only been here 7 weeks and already missing Marmite (I know it's in Superstore but $4 for the smallest jar I don't think so), Galaxy chocolate and my local Ruby Murray

However I can get my Root Beer (even a diet version now), Reeces pieces, Three Musketeers bars, DQ Blizzards (YUM), and Tims donuts (not that I indulge too much on those )
Do you watch the Jamie school lunch project then, he has a hell of a time getting many kids to eat decent food but that's because the majority of parents are too lazy to cook fresh food anymore and eat stuff out of the freezer.

My wife is really into fresh food as are many countries like France, Spain, Italy, etc and we eat salad all year round, and the two kids get through about 25 bananas, 20 apples, 1/2kg strawberries, 1kg grapes every week.
Old May 18th 2006, 3:56 am
Just Joined

hyena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Hi all, I thought I'd start this light-hearted thread seeing as some of my replies in previous posts have gotten serious - and I want to keep my presence on here happy and upbeat!!

So (and sorry if this thread has been done once or twice before but I am still relatively new )....I want to be nosey and find out what foods we Expats miss most from the UK, and if and when we have to go back to the UK, what food have you've gotten used to and would miss most?

I still miss:

1. Going to ASDA or Morrisons and buying a lazy over-the-counter set meal for four curry with proper naan bread!
2. The bread....Hovis & Kingsmill
3. Richmonds sausages
4. Proper back bacon
5. Pies and pasties

Canadian foods I love and did miss last year in the UK (but can enjoy again now I'm back lol ):

1. A&W (with Wendy's close behind)
2. Green relish
3. Ranch dressing - who would've thought it compliments pizza so well!
4. Pickled banana chillies (gorgeous on tortilla chips)
5. Thuringer summer sausage

Anyone else?

Jaycee

English bread - oven bottom muffins especially
Branston pickle and piccallili (yeah I know, probably too many l's and c's - who cares, you know what I mean!)
Proper curry - Patak's sauces a good stopgap, but oh, how I miss the Stockport Balti on the A6 just across from The Blssoms - spent many a happy Saturday night in there.
Blackpool tomatoes that really taste of tomato
Linda McCartney stuff
Cordials - specially blackcurrant on a cold winter's day
Robertson's jam
Pitta bread at a decent price - Morrisons were great - too expensive here - yeah - and why IS bread so darned expensive over here when they grow somuch whate? And why is it like eating a lace curtain? No substance to it - I like to feel a slice of bread go "Thunk" when it hits my stomach.

Well thanks, Jaycee, for bringing up this topic - now I feel REALLY homesick! But I guess I'll cope!
Old May 18th 2006, 4:54 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I miss Asda, Tesco and dare I say it Lidles, Sainsbury's always seemed to cost me fifty quid for two baga :scared: Oh! and being able to actually find stuff in the supermarket!

I also miss decent cheese, proper bacon, OXO cubes - the sachets don't seem the same (I have been told that I can get them here but they hide from me) Tomato puree in a tube,decent chinese and curry AND my husband REALLY misses a doner kebab from the Silver Jubilee in Potters Bar, we would go out of our way to go there YUMMY.

Things I would miss if ever I went back to UK - Perogies, Poutine, cinirolls, Wendy's, Arby's being able to get a cheap coffee from the petrol station.
Old May 18th 2006, 6:07 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Just as I thought I had successfully weaned myself of British Baked Beans - look what Heinz have brought out http://www.heinzmeanbeanz.com/

I miss them and I've never even tried them

Sigh.....
Old May 18th 2006, 6:14 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

I bought some crappy white-sliced bread in Loblaws the other day - it tasted just like the crappy white-sliced bread from the UK!

I have a can of maple-syrup flavoured baked beans in my cupboard, but somehow I can't quite face them first thing in the morning...
Old May 18th 2006, 6:24 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Just as I thought I had successfully weaned myself of British Baked Beans - look what Heinz have brought out http://www.heinzmeanbeanz.com/

Sigh.....
What :scared:

Canada don't have the good old baked beans in can
Old May 18th 2006, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

What :scared:

Canada don't have the good old baked beans in can
They do sell Heinz baked beans but they're just not the same as UK ones....the sauce isn't "saucy" - it's more like a "stodge" would everyone else agree?
Old May 18th 2006, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

westchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura about

They do sell Heinz baked beans but they're just not the same as UK ones....the sauce isn't "saucy" - it's more like a "stodge" would everyone else agree?
Totally agree, not enough sauce!
Old May 18th 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westchilt
Totally agree, not enough sauce!
yes and it's like prising candy from a baby getting it out of the tin
Old May 18th 2006, 7:27 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ClareBC

Sigh.....
Mmmmmmmm, Sweet chili meanbeanz, I forgot about them. The Mexican ones are good too.
Old May 18th 2006, 7:33 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

yes and it's like prising candy from a baby getting it out of the tin
Has anyone thought about complaining to Heinz about this or even asking why ?

Do anyone else have canned baked beans ? All the supermarkets here of course do their own and to be quite honest they are just as good as Heinz in my opinion now (they weren't 10 years ago), I am sure someone will disagree with me on this of course.

We love fresh food, especially fish but it's so damned expensive in the UK seeing as we are surrounded by water ?!* And of course fresh in the UK means its been frozen in ice for god knows how long whereas in many countries including where my wife originates from (Ukraine) fresh means it is still alive when sold at the market !
Old May 18th 2006, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Has anyone thought about complaining to Heinz about this or even asking why ?

Do anyone else have canned baked beans ? All the supermarkets here of course do their own and to be quite honest they are just as good as Heinz in my opinion now (they weren't 10 years ago), I am sure someone will disagree with me on this of course.

We love fresh food, especially fish but it's so damned expensive in the UK seeing as we are surrounded by water ?!* And of course fresh in the UK means its been frozen in ice for god knows how long whereas in many countries including where my wife originates from (Ukraine) fresh means it is still alive when sold at the market !
Hi Garfield,
If the Heinz ones are crappy here then can you imagine the stores own brands.....we've tried a few out here but my hubby and son prefer to make do with the Heinz. Never thought about complaining.....just take it as something else we just have to get used to

BTW, if you think fish in the UK is expensive, wait till you see the prices here I find the fresh salmon pretty good value though
JC
Old May 18th 2006, 8:46 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Hi Garfield,
If the Heinz ones are crappy here then can you imagine the stores own brands.....we've tried a few out here but my hubby and son prefer to make do with the Heinz. Never thought about complaining.....just take it as something else we just have to get used to

BTW, if you think fish in the UK is expensive, wait till you see the prices here I find the fresh salmon pretty good value though
JC
Hi Jaycee,

Salmon of course is one of the cheaper fish here also at around £6/kilo or £2.80/lb, 20 years ago it was the most expensive !
Others are :
Cod/Haddock £7.50/kg or £3.50/lb
Halibut £8.50/kg or £4.00/lb
Just seen some Black Tiger Prawns at £30/kg
What's the prices like in CAD Dollars ?
Of course do parts of Canada eat Freshwater fish like Carp ?
Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.