Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something light-hearted!

Something light-hearted!

Old May 16th 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something light-hearted!

This is worrying!!!!
No pataks Balti in Canada :scared: Their factory is only 3 miles away from me, balti is my favorite, might have to re-think this immigration

just joking i'll find a way to get it shipped over
Old May 16th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
You wouldn't miss Hovis Invisible Crust Bread, have you ever tried it, it's slow steam baked so as not to get a crust at all and its so wet my little girl of 2 got it and rolled it into a small ball of dough and threw it away.

Jesus, Richmond Sausages ! they have no meat, they're full of fat; now Tesco or Asda finest sausages are worth buying, 85% meat and taste great

As to pies, depends what you're buying, our local butcher makes their own and they are full of real meat and ten times better than a "Hollands"

As to the Canadian likes what's and A&W ? Assume it's a McD'S but better ?

And what's a Thuringer summer sausage
Hi Garfield!
I had no choice but to get used to Richmonds sausages....my OH is picky & finnicky about meat and has never liked the look of those lovely sausages you're talking about (but I love them, from a proper butchers - especially the Pork and sage). The Richmonds are ground up to a pulp that much, there's no gristle bits - so no complaints from hubby!

We used to love buying the Morrisons baked on the premises pies and pasties - naughty but nice

A&W and Wendy's knocks spots of McD's here.....unless you enjoy eating cold Big Mac and cold limp fries after being stood waiting for 15 mins - Yuk!

Thuringer Summer sausage is a bit like a bierwurst-like sandwich meat and you can buy it sliced or shaved....mmm

Jaycee
Old May 16th 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandyg
This is worrying!!!!
No pataks Balti in Canada :scared: Their factory is only 3 miles away from me, balti is my favorite, might have to re-think this immigration

just joking i'll find a way to get it shipped over
LOL.......one thing we tell family coming over to stay with us is "you can stay with us for free but you must bring me at least 10 jars of Balti paste" - works out a pretty cheap holiday for them!
Old May 16th 2006, 9:41 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Hi Garfield!
I had no choice but to get used to Richmonds sausages....my OH is picky & finnicky about meat and has never liked the look of those lovely sausages you're talking about (but I love them, from a proper butchers - especially the Pork and sage). The Richmonds are ground up to a pulp that much, there's no gristle bits - so no complaints from hubby!

We used to love buying the Morrisons baked on the premises pies and pasties - naughty but nice

A&W and Wendy's knocks spots of McD's here.....unless you enjoy eating cold Big Mac and cold limp fries after being stood waiting for 15 mins - Yuk!

Thuringer Summer sausage is a bit like a bierwurst-like sandwich meat and you can buy it sliced or shaved....mmm

Jaycee
Hi Jaycee,
Maybe you should get a video of Jamie Olivers School Dinners series, he shows school kids all the crap that went into chicken nuggets and something disgusting called Turkey Twizzlers, I am sure Richmond sausages are in the same category.

Morrisons pies are not bad I suppose but still better from the butchers.

I personally don't like McD's burgers (no taste) but most places there is no other choice and the kids mither me to death when they see the damn sign
Thuringer sounds really good, we all love Bierwurst but can only get it sliced from Morrisons here
Gary
Old May 16th 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again Steve, will give that a shot this week with the Swamp drink LOL - will let you know if its a go-er or a down the drain thing

I've been in all the supermarkets here (Sobey's, Superstore, Save-On, Co-op, even Walmart)....pretty much every Patak's curry BUT the Balti and that was our fave back in the UK....oh well, I might just have to wait till August when my S.I.L. comes to visit
Old May 16th 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Hi Jaycee,
Maybe you should get a video of Jamie Olivers School Dinners series, he shows school kids all the crap that went into chicken nuggets and something disgusting called Turkey Twizzlers, I am sure Richmond sausages are in the same category.
In a way I'm glad we're not there to eat them now and seeing as the sausages here look like they're full of chunks of meat and fat, my OH insists we don't eat them now.......we do eat a lot of weiners though but please don't give me the grosseez and tell me what goes in them LOL
Old May 16th 2006, 10:59 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Don't know if this is off-topic but when we were over last year, we noticed that some of the bars off Yonge/Dundas were selling Tennents lager. Bleugh

Even as a Scotsman I can't stand that muck so that will be one I'll gladly forget when we land in August.

Mind you, I'll miss square sausages. Mmmmm.
True Madmac Tennents lager is pish, hate the stuff !!

I will defo miss square sliced sausage and the good old Scotch Pie, chips and beans, love them to bits

Eddie
Old May 16th 2006, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

dkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tidge
From the UK I miss -

1. Tinned new potatoes.
2. Erm....
3 ...that's it.

In Canada I love

1. Decent bagels!
2. Wasabi flavour Lay's
3. Nice french bread from local bakeries
4. Fresh boccocini
5. Perogies!
6. Sleeman Honey
7. Japanese ramen noodles (at only 79c)
8. Vegetarian hot dogs available at every street corner!
9. French Onion flavour Sun Chips - I lived on those in the US

Come on Canada, get your tinned potatoes in, otherwise everything is fine!

Sobeys sells tinned potatoes!

Deborah
Old May 17th 2006, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian foods I love and did miss last year in the UK (but can enjoy again now I'm back lol ):

5. Thuringer summer sausage

Jaycee
:scared: :scared:

I'm a bit of a hog and will generally eat anything, but my one and only attempt at eating Summer Sausage last year was a bit of a failure. It got as far as my mouth, but then the brain kicked in with "I'm not swallowing that". The only time that has ever happend before was genuine French Andouillette
Old May 17th 2006, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Potato Croquettes must be available in this country somewhere
Old May 17th 2006, 12:40 am
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Originally Posted by dkvl
Sobeys sells tinned potatoes!

Deborah
We're saved! Mind you, I never knew you could get vegetarian pork pies in the UK. Probably just as well.
Old May 17th 2006, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again Steve, will give that a shot this week with the Swamp drink LOL - will let you know if its a go-er or a down the drain thing

I've been in all the supermarkets here (Sobey's, Superstore, Save-On, Co-op, even Walmart)....pretty much every Patak's curry BUT the Balti and that was our fave back in the UK....oh well, I might just have to wait till August when my S.I.L. comes to visit

Have you tried Canadian Superstore? They do biriani, vindaloo, madras. I'll have a look....we wouldn't survive here with out it!!!!

I'll report my findings soon!!!!

Linda
Old May 17th 2006, 3:20 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks steve....we'll give that one a try. Is it made with pure orange (concentrate stuff) or those frozen orange drinks?

PS....Anyone living in Calgary or Edmonton, please when you're on your next grocery shopping expedition, have a look out on the shelves for Pataks Balti Paste and if you find some, please let me know.....it would be worth the hour and half's drive to buy a few jars!! Thnx!
Safeways, Mackenzie Towne.
Suntera Market, Brittania
Old May 17th 2006, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

westchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura about

what food have you've gotten used to and would miss most?

Hi Jaycee,
Well we have lived here 16 years now (can't believe it is that long) but we still miss a decent sausage and english bacon. I love Walkers crisps and buy then at the British shop in West Ed mall along with hool-a-hoops!!! I don't mind paying and arm and a leg occasionally for a little treat or two or three......
My husband travels through Heathrow quite alot on business and is able to keep us stocked up with some things. We also have great in-laws that are kind enough to send us a food parcel occasionally! Today we received two!!!
We got Banttenberg cakes, Galaxy cake bars, custard creams and a few other choclate bars, they all seem to travel well and taste fine.

As for the balti paste I am sure I have seen it in the Leduc Safeway and Extra Food, I will look next time I go and let you know.
I can also recommend "Asian Home Gourmet" spice pastes, they do pastes like Indonesian Satay paste, Indian Butter Chicken etc. http://www.asianhomegourmet.com/

Good luck with your shopping.

Pauline
Old May 17th 2006, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thnx Pauline & Butch for the feedback....will make sure I give those places a phone call first to check they have it in stock.....an hour and a half's drive is worth it when you know your prize is at the end, but not when you reach the store and find they only stock Madras, Rogan & Vinda!! I do actually make all my curries from scratch using pure ingredients and spices, but I love to have the Balti handy to make on my "lazy days" That's another thing I'm having trouble getting hold of here in R/D.....whole coriander seed. Supermarkets only sell the ground coriander but it's naff and tasteless, it's the whole seed ground up fresh that gives the best flavours. We have an East Indian owned gas station behind where we live that sells it. They get it brought over, from some warehouse in Vancouver, so I bought a bag. I got it home, opened the bag to start grinding the seeds in my coffee grinder but found little brown bugs crawling in the bag....yes, BUGS - live and dead ones :scared: I ended up getting my S.I.L. to send me over a bag of coriander seed from Morrisons but all in all she ended up paying nearly 5 quid to send a tiny bag over that will last me about 2 weeks! Surely coriander seed is available in other stores in Alberta - would appreciate help on that one too. Other than the Balti paste & whole coriander issue, I'm pretty much happy with everything I buy here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.