Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something light-hearted!

Something light-hearted!

Old May 16th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Something light-hearted!

Hi all, I thought I'd start this light-hearted thread seeing as some of my replies in previous posts have gotten serious - and I want to keep my presence on here happy and upbeat!!

So (and sorry if this thread has been done once or twice before but I am still relatively new )....I want to be nosey and find out what foods we Expats miss most from the UK, and if and when we have to go back to the UK, what food have you've gotten used to and would miss most?

I still miss:

1. Going to ASDA or Morrisons and buying a lazy over-the-counter set meal for four curry with proper naan bread!
2. The bread....Hovis & Kingsmill
3. Richmonds sausages
4. Proper back bacon
5. Pies and pasties

Canadian foods I love and did miss last year in the UK (but can enjoy again now I'm back lol ):

1. A&W (with Wendy's close behind)
2. Green relish
3. Ranch dressing - who would've thought it compliments pizza so well!
4. Pickled banana chillies (gorgeous on tortilla chips)
5. Thuringer summer sausage

Anyone else?

Jaycee
Old May 16th 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something light-hearted!

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Hi all, I thought I'd start this light-hearted thread seeing as some of my replies in previous posts have gotten serious - and I want to keep my presence on here happy and upbeat!!

So (and sorry if this thread has been done once or twice before but I am still relatively new )....I want to be nosey and find out what foods we Expats miss most from the UK, and if and when we have to go back to the UK, what food have you've gotten used to and would miss most?

I still miss:

1. Going to ASDA or Morrisons and buying a lazy over-the-counter set meal for four curry with proper naan bread!
3. Richmonds sausages
4. Proper back bacon
5. Pies and pasties

Canadian foods I love and did miss last year in the UK (but can enjoy again now I'm back lol ):

2. Green relish
3. Ranch dressing - who would've thought it compliments pizza so well!
4. Pickled banana chillies (gorgeous on tortilla chips)

Anyone else?

Jaycee

ASDA? How can you go to asda, you get hairy men with no tops on sweating over the fruit and veg in the summer, don't get that in Sainsbury and Marks and Spencers food stores!!

I do actually miss Richmond Sausages though, and like you there is always a jar of Ranch dressing in the fridge!

Mark
Old May 16th 2006, 8:02 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

From the UK I miss -

1. Tinned new potatoes.
2. Erm....
3 ...that's it.

In Canada I love

1. Decent bagels!
2. Wasabi flavour Lay's
3. Nice french bread from local bakeries
4. Fresh boccocini
5. Perogies!
6. Sleeman Honey
7. Japanese ramen noodles (at only 79c)
8. Vegetarian hot dogs available at every street corner!
9. French Onion flavour Sun Chips - I lived on those in the US

Come on Canada, get your tinned potatoes in, otherwise everything is fine!
Old May 16th 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tidge
From the UK I miss -

1. Tinned new potatoes.
2. Erm....
3 ...that's it.

In Canada I love

1. Decent bagels!
2. Wasabi flavour Lay's
3. Nice french bread from local bakeries
4. Fresh boccocini
5. Perogies!
6. Sleeman Honey
7. Japanese ramen noodles (at only 79c)
8. Vegetarian hot dogs available at every street corner!
9. French Onion flavour Sun Chips - I lived on those in the US

Come on Canada, get your tinned potatoes in, otherwise everything is fine!

Oh the shame!! How could I have even forgotten to mention my beloved Sleeman's Honey!!! Slurping Carlsberg and lime (UK) just didn't taste the same

I'm sure I've seen tinned taters here though
Old May 16th 2006, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Something light-hearted!

Hi all,

Haven't actually got there yet, but the lack of decent curry seems to be an issue? Is it worth investing in a take-away business?

As for other foods I'll probably miss:

A good ale - although this Sleeman's thing sounds pretty tasty.
My local TROY turkish cuisine - surely, there has to be an ockabashi restaurant somewhere in BC?
Walkers Salt n Vinegar crips
PG Tips
Dairy Milk Caramel bars/Twirls etc

IN Canada I loved: those little tacquito things from 7-11s!

Sid
Old May 16th 2006, 8:43 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this is off-topic but when we were over last year, we noticed that some of the bars off Yonge/Dundas were selling Tennents lager. Bleugh

Even as a Scotsman I can't stand that muck so that will be one I'll gladly forget when we land in August.

Mind you, I'll miss square sausages. Mmmmm.
Old May 16th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
ASDA? How can you go to asda, you get hairy men with no tops on sweating over the fruit and veg in the summer, don't get that in Sainsbury and Marks and Spencers food stores!!

I do actually miss Richmond Sausages though, and like you there is always a jar of Ranch dressing in the fridge!

Mark
I was just going to say YOU SNOB Then I thought actually I do 99% of my food shopping in sainsbury, waitrose and Marks and spencer for very much the same reason that you mentioned.

Pennyhp
Old May 16th 2006, 8:51 pm
AD74

Andrew74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Miss my bacon, sausages, fish & chips, marmite walkers, daddies sauce (i know I can get that here but expensive), pub grub and the pub atmosphere!

Cadbury's is soo much better too and Milky Bar!!
Old May 16th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

I miss root beer; and iced cappucinos from Tim Hortons
Old May 16th 2006, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mandyg
I miss root beer; and iced cappucinos from Tim Hortons
Yes I noticed that you couldn't get root beer in supermarkets back home (my OH and son love it but to me it's like drinking a bottle of perfume )

Also miss not being able to buy lovely refreshing orange cordial (or other cordials for that matter) - you need a remortgage to stock up on Ribena here!!

Another one.....Birds Eye fish fingers (more so for the kids really)....the ones they have here are minced crappy fish and taste like cardboard!!

McCain Home Fries, Paxo Stuffing, Pataks Balti paste (you can get most of the other flavours but not the Balti )
Old May 16th 2006, 9:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I noticed that you couldn't get root beer in supermarkets back home (my OH and son love it but to me it's like drinking a bottle of perfume )
Tell your OH and son to try Swamp Water (half and half Root Beer and Orange drink) it used to be readily available at A & W many moons ago. Mmmmmmm good.

I've been here 43 years now don't necessarily miss but do enjoy when I can get my hands on are Malt Loaf, Batenburg Cakes and Fruit Gums. I know I can get all three in Calgary but they want an arm and a leg plus my first born son for them. :scared:

Cheers
Steve
Old May 16th 2006, 9:22 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

I
still miss:

3. Richmonds sausages
5. Pies and pasties

Anyone else?

Jaycee
You wouldn't miss Hovis Invisible Crust Bread, have you ever tried it, it's slow steam baked so as not to get a crust at all and its so wet my little girl of 2 got it and rolled it into a small ball of dough and threw it away.

Jesus, Richmond Sausages ! they have no meat, they're full of fat; now Tesco or Asda finest sausages are worth buying, 85% meat and taste great

As to pies, depends what you're buying, our local butcher makes their own and they are full of real meat and ten times better than a "Hollands"

As to the Canadian likes what's and A&W ? Assume it's a McD'S but better ?

And what's a Thuringer summer sausage
Old May 16th 2006, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hangman
Tell your OH and son to try Swamp Water (half and half Root Beer and Orange drink) it used to be readily available at A & W many moons ago. Mmmmmmm good.

I've been here 43 years now don't necessarily miss but do enjoy when I can get my hands on are Malt Loaf, Batenburg Cakes and Fruit Gums. I know I can get all three in Calgary but they want an arm and a leg plus my first born son for them. :scared:

Cheers
Steve
Thanks steve....we'll give that one a try. Is it made with pure orange (concentrate stuff) or those frozen orange drinks?

PS....Anyone living in Calgary or Edmonton, please when you're on your next grocery shopping expedition, have a look out on the shelves for Pataks Balti Paste and if you find some, please let me know.....it would be worth the hour and half's drive to buy a few jars!! Thnx!
Old May 16th 2006, 9:27 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I miss Holland and Barrett's Vegetarian Pork Pies - oh heaven !! Tesco's Mexican Bean Burger (the ones over here are very "worthy")

But I want to know - when do squeezie marmites containers come out!!

Clare
Old May 16th 2006, 9:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks steve....we'll give that one a try. Is it made with pure orange (concentrate stuff) or those frozen orange drinks?
Neither, orange pop, you know the carbonated stuff I think it's called Orange Crush.

PS....Anyone living in Calgary or Edmonton, please when you're on your next grocery shopping expedition, have a look out on the shelves for Pataks Balti Paste and if you find some, please let me know.....it would be worth the hour and half's drive to buy a few jars!! Thnx!
Will do. It'll likely be a few days though, is that ok?

I am hoping to be able to get out more after Thursday. I know you you can get Pataks curry pastes at Safeway and Real Canadian Superstore, but I don't know about Balti Paste.

I just found the Pataks Canadian website and they do list Balti. Now all we have to do is find it in stores.

Alberta Stores that sell Pataks goods:

British Pantry (Calgary)
Buy Low Foods
Calgary Co-op

Community Natural Foods
Extra Foods
Federated Co-op
Food Town
IGA

Medina Market (Edmonton)
Nutters
Real Canadian Superstore
Safeway
Save-on Foods

Spice Island (Edmonton)
Urban Fare

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; May 16th 2006 at 9:45 pm. Reason: Added link to Pataks website

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.