Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something light-hearted!

Something light-hearted!

Old May 21st 2006, 8:37 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Something light-hearted!

Originally Posted by good evans
Hi Garfield!
I know you can get sour cream in most supermarkets (but not Greek Yoghurt, which I miss - better than sour cream on your baked spuds and salad dressings) I've seen PG Tips teabags, I'm sure, in Zehrs.
Does anyone know where I can get haloumi cheese out here in rural southwestern Ontario - I'm halfway between Stratford and Goderich. Help please - I need it, and soooooon!
Nice to hear we can maybe get PG Tips.
We are aiming to go to Southwest 4 Ontario, you are further west I assume, what's it like down your way ?
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by good evans
Hi Garfield!
I know you can get sour cream in most supermarkets (but not Greek Yoghurt, which I miss - better than sour cream on your baked spuds and salad dressings) I've seen PG Tips teabags, I'm sure, in Zehrs.
Does anyone know where I can get haloumi cheese out here in rural southwestern Ontario - I'm halfway between Stratford and Goderich. Help please - I need it, and soooooon!
Ah J! You pipped me to the post on this one LOL I can get LOADS of Haloumi cheese here - I keep telling ya to get your butts over here and enjoy all the haloumi cheese you can eat
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:41 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Corky
Hi Shell,
You can buy Quorn in Superstore and also Sobeys, you just aren't looking in the right place. It is usually where the imported cheeses are around the deli section....have a look next time you are in and if you don't see it ask the one behind the counter in the deli section to point it out.
Hope all is well!
You can get Quorn in Canada now?! Cool! Anyone find it in BC?
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Hi all, I thought I'd start this light-hearted thread seeing as some of my replies in previous posts have gotten serious - and I want to keep my presence on here happy and upbeat!!

So (and sorry if this thread has been done once or twice before but I am still relatively new )....I want to be nosey and find out what foods we Expats miss most from the UK, and if and when we have to go back to the UK, what food have you've gotten used to and would miss most?

I still miss:

1. Going to ASDA or Morrisons and buying a lazy over-the-counter set meal for four curry with proper naan bread!
2. The bread....Hovis & Kingsmill
3. Richmonds sausages
4. Proper back bacon
5. Pies and pasties

Canadian foods I love and did miss last year in the UK (but can enjoy again now I'm back lol ):

1. A&W (with Wendy's close behind)
2. Green relish
3. Ranch dressing - who would've thought it compliments pizza so well!
4. Pickled banana chillies (gorgeous on tortilla chips)
5. Thuringer summer sausage

Anyone else?

Jaycee
Not in Canada at the moment, but my daughter misses orange squash when she visits.
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:51 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
You can get Quorn in Canada now?! Cool! Anyone find it in BC?
You can get a Canadian equivalent called Yves Veggie Cusine which they have in many shops in BC.
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

good evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to allgood evans is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jandro
You can get a Canadian equivalent called Yves Veggie Cusine which they have in many shops in BC.
The Yves stuff is not the same as the Quorn I used to buy in England - that was very like chicken. The Yves Veggie Ground Round is great for anywhere you'd use minced beef - chilli, pies, spag bol etc....but the other stuff? I'm afraid I've given it a wide berth - like flavoured rubber I used to love the Quorn fillets - lemon and black pepper, or garlic - mmmmmm, good.
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:52 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jandro
pssst.... see post #82

And like 'good evans' said, it aint the same. Yves' stuff is mainly tofu based. Quorn is a bit more of a franken-sci-fi food made from a mycoprotein (a fungus!) and egg whites (and god knows what else!).

I guess in terms of their dodginess they are equivalents though!
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:50 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tidge
From the UK I miss -

1. Tinned new potatoes.
2. Erm....
3 ...that's it.

Come on Canada, get your tinned potatoes in, otherwise everything is fine!
Tinned potatoes????? You can't be serious!! I didn't think anyone except 95 year old grannies with no teeth sucked those.....LMAO!!
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:55 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gray C
Not in Canada at the moment, but my daughter misses orange squash
Same with my daughter. She also misses Polo's.

I miss fizzy Vimto, real chocolate, dark chocolate Homewheats, After Eights, Walkers smokey bacon crisps, Rainbow Drops and Cheese Savouries.
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:33 am
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Okay so everyones said what they miss from Britain, so what do you eat in Canada that's either better than the same item in the UK or things that are brilliant and you could never get in UK ?
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:44 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Okay so everyones said what they miss from Britain, so what do you eat in Canada that's either better than the same item in the UK or things that are brilliant and you could never get in UK ?
Perogies!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 23rd 2006, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

The only #1 thing I can answer that with is TIM HORTONS!! Where in the UK can you buy a massive cup of great tasting coffee for approx 80p? And those dognuts (deliberate bad speller!) - no wonder I was depressed as eff those 8 months back in Shitey Blighty last year

Last edited by Ruby Murray; May 23rd 2006 at 3:48 pm. Reason: missed my was :(
Old May 23rd 2006, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Winterfresh chewing gum. Yes, they sell stuff of the same name in the UK but it's a completely different flavour. Here it tastes sort of Germoline-y. Delish.
Old May 23rd 2006, 4:23 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Perogies!!!!!!!!!!!!
What ?!*&$%
Old May 23rd 2006, 4:24 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Winterfresh chewing gum. Yes, they sell stuff of the same name in the UK but it's a completely different flavour. Here it tastes sort of Germoline-y. Delish.
I can't imagine eating germolene so you must have a very unique pallet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.