Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:09 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by port7
Well like most places my job title changes depending on who you are speaking to, from senior architect to technical architecture manager to just tech arch or even systems consultant.

Back to the original question, whats the call for tech arch's in Canada?
I know in New Brunswick and the Maritimes there is a healthy demand for Technical Architects, along with DBA's, Project Managers, etc ....
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:12 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spirael
Hi!

Sorry to randomly jump into the thread, but I was wondering if anyone could advise of what my job would translate to in Canadian terms.

Here in the UK I'm a Data Analyst (3 years experience). Basically I work almost exclusively on MS SQL Server, coding in SQL to make data amendments, load in new data sets, generate reports as requested, etc. I occasionally use Excel.

I also have some experience as an IT Technician (building PCs/Servers, supporting software and such for around 50 users) and for Web Design (primarily using ASP to link to SQL / MS Access).

Thanks in advance!
If you are writing SQL Queries to respond to calls afrom applications I would see it as a Junior DBA or a Database Administrator depending on your experience. Do you have any DB tuning / performance management experience?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seanyg
mark one?
matalan?
was i right...?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:18 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by rain426
I have actually given up looking for work in IT now. I applied to so many different companies, but the thing is, although I have been in IT Support for ten years it's not actually something I want to do.

My wife and I have submitted our PR application already, and I am going to use the time between now and the time our application is updated to go back to college and study furniture making, with a view to being self-employed in the future.

I have been stuck in front of a computer screen too long, and I don't want my time in Canada 'tainted' by the fact I am doing the same old grind, just in a different country.
In Eastern Canada they pride themselves on work / life balance so those long grinding hours do not seem to apply here. If I am in the office after 6pm then I am one of a very few! It takes me 15 minutes to get home and in the summer I am sitting down in the back garden with a cold beer by 5:20pm and if I go in at 8am I'll be home by 4:45pm evey weekend feels like a long one.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:20 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
I have been working within IT for 8 years with the following skills:

ORACLE DBA
UNIX
XML
SQL PL/SQL
PRINCE2 Practioner
ITIL
CISCO Networking

and other stuff (won't bore you)

However when I initialy started to look into moving to Canada and working in IT everwhere who replied to me said yeh great but you don't have a Bachelors Degree in computer science (or the like) and we would be requiring that.

Apply to me, I am sure you would find something
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

PGarner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
What sort of skills are you after ? I have a BSc in software engineering with 15 years experience. The last 9 years programming Delphi and MS SQL Server. Just starting to look at .NET technologies too.

Paul
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:05 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seanyg
mark one?
matalan?
The latter
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
can i apply for a job as well, just the long weekends will do for me please
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:31 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
can i apply for a job as well, just the long weekends will do for me please
As long as you bring your every flowing coffee pot

I only said they appear like long weekends. In the UK I would have to spend the weekend doing manly things like mowing the lawn / DIY fixing or destroying depending on your perspective. Now I have such a short commute I can get those things tackled during the weekday evenings. Hence my weekends seem to be full of interesting things rather than just more work.

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:40 am
Happy in NB

New Brunswick Job Opportunities

I know of at least one person who has landed a job through this website, and she arrives in Fredericton with her family on the 26th March (ish). I think our first contact was 27th December 2007.

My advice is not to fire off your CV without researching the company to discover what their background is. Try to bring out your achievements rather than just a list of where you have worked. You need to let them know what you did for your employers and what benefits they will get by employing you, apart from boosting the population

If you want to look at NB as a destination and if you have any questions then I am happy to take PM's (if my inbox can deal with it) and offer what help I can.

Have a great easter
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

BritInCan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am an IT professional and have been through the skilled worker route to get into Canada. I'm now running my own IT business in Calgary.

If any of you IT guys want to get in touch I might be able to give you some pointers etc. plus we are always on the look out for good people.......

and by the way, its worth the wait!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:35 am
Just Joined

mjehanzeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInCan
Hi

I am an IT professional and have been through the skilled worker route to get into Canada. I'm now running my own IT business in Calgary.

If any of you IT guys want to get in touch I might be able to give you some pointers etc. plus we are always on the look out for good people.......

and by the way, its worth the wait!
It is nice to hear successful stories from Canada specially in IT.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mjehanzeb
It is nice to hear successful stories from Canada specially in IT.
it most certainly is, it provides hope to the rest of us, tho everyone else seems to be software instead of hardware like me
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:59 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by xxalxx
it most certainly is, it provides hope to the rest of us, tho everyone else seems to be software instead of hardware like me
Don't be down hearted.

Technical Architects and network engineers are needed especially with experience in wireless technology.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:05 pm
Happy in NB

One piece of advice, if you have time to study, look at certifications that are valued in North America. This will show initiative and greatly improve your chances of getting a job. If you already have a raft of certifications tailor the selection on your resume for the job opportunity, otherwise it looks like you collect them like boyscouts collecting their badges.

I studied for PMP (Project Management Professional) from the PMI because as a Project Manager that would be recognised in Canada much more than my PRINCE2 practitioner (although it is becoming more widely known now).

IT Is lucky in that many of it's certifications are globally recognised. We can move between industries, countries and if you are Oracle, Microsoft, Cisco, PMI certified it is accepted. You try doing that with medical qualifications

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.