Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:20 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by Spirael View Post
Hi!

Sorry to randomly jump into the thread, but I was wondering if anyone could advise of what my job would translate to in Canadian terms.

Here in the UK I'm a Data Analyst (3 years experience). Basically I work almost exclusively on MS SQL Server, coding in SQL to make data amendments, load in new data sets, generate reports as requested, etc. I occasionally use Excel.

I also have some experience as an IT Technician (building PCs/Servers, supporting software and such for around 50 users) and for Web Design (primarily using ASP to link to SQL / MS Access).

Thanks in advance!
Have you tried checking against the NOC?

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/.../welcome.shtml
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the market rate for a Software Developer with about 5+ years experience in Okanagan area.

Also what would be the market rate in the Vancouver area for the same role.

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a salary checker at Monster.ca click here
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Bigstar14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: IT Skilled workers

I know this discussion has been going for a while and generally has a technical bent, but does anyone know what the market is like in BC for functional consultants.

I'm an SAP consultant predominently in Retail and will be, likely as not, relocating to Vancouver.

Any advice will be more than welcome.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:20 pm

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xxalxx View Post
There is a salary checker at Monster.ca click here
As with any country you need to check the nearest City with a salary calculator and then apply a percentage differeence. EG a London Salary in the Uk would be different to a Nottingham Salary and different again to a Glasgow salary.

We have recently conducted a survey to see how competative our salaries are. I would say that the sallary up here is 75% of a Vancouver Salary.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:27 am

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

Other issues should be taken into consideration as to whether the company is 'start up' growing, booming, large company etc...so you have to 'factor in these implications/considerations as well as to where you decide to base yourself.

There will be pluses and minuses at to what type of health package you get...so there will be other things coming into play... some will gain...some will not as well as NOC statistics...although that is a good 'ball park'
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:44 am

Hi Caitlin
The company I work for in Kamloops is looking for a person to liase between our sales reps (great bunch!) and Customer Services. We design websites for the automative industry so if you are confident...have work flow/admin skills might this be of interest?...Please pm me if you may be interested. Your skill set sounds like it would be good match. This is a great friendly business...and one thing you might find in Canada is that you're expected to work weekends...Not in this company...they offer above average leave entiltlement and a great health package...As time goes on and you do your research i think you would find this company great.
In Canada a lot of Brits complain that they don't get much leave...but we get 15 days statutory...so from April that's about one day a month up until Christmas...then we have 5 sick days and 3 weeks leave going up to 4 weeks after 3 yrs...I would say to a lot of brits and benefits...work it out..i respect other peoples input but this to my mind more than acceptable...
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:32 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I've been offered an IT job today at the University in Kamloops - key benefits are:

Mid 60's salary, with guaranteed 3% rise year on year for 5yrs, thereafter inflationary.
6 weeks holiday(!)
Health/medical cover
Flexi-time

I'm here on a WP, currently running my own business, and the employer is happy to go through the PNP process to secure my employment. I truly believe that if you've got appropriate skills and present yourself well, you have as much chance as any candidate applying for a job here, but you need to meet people face to face. In my experience, European experience can count for a lot, but you must position it and ensure that it's relevant to your new audience. I also think that securing a decent job in a smaller city is easier, where competition maybe less intense than somewhere like Vancouver.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats R I C H. !
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxalxx View Post
congrats R I C H. !
Well done Rich, is that £ss not $ss
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:31 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot View Post
Well done Rich, is that £ss not $ss
If it's £'s, it could be quite some time before he comes back from the celebrating! Will be almost certainly $'s!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:00 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77 View Post
If it's £'s, it could be quite some time before he comes back from the celebrating! Will be almost certainly $'s!
Yep it's $'s
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
I've been offered an IT job today at the University in Kamloops - key benefits are:

Mid 60's salary, with guaranteed 3% rise year on year for 5yrs, thereafter inflationary.
6 weeks holiday(!)
Health/medical cover
Flexi-time

I'm here on a WP, currently running my own business, and the employer is happy to go through the PNP process to secure my employment. I truly believe that if you've got appropriate skills and present yourself well, you have as much chance as any candidate applying for a job here, but you need to meet people face to face. In my experience, European experience can count for a lot, but you must position it and ensure that it's relevant to your new audience. I also think that securing a decent job in a smaller city is easier, where competition maybe less intense than somewhere like Vancouver.
Congratulation Rich.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post

6 weeks holiday(!)
Health/medical cover
Flexi-time

Congratulations R I C H
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:37 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK another thread jumper here.

I am just wondering what the call is in Canada for Technical / Solution Architects.

I am currently chief architect for a major UK retailer, doing technical design approval, owning the technical roadmap for the company, and also running a number of initiatives in the company such as PCI: DSS compliance, EPOS upgrade, and Business Intelligence tool implementation. I also get involved in exiting things like budgets and contract review too :-)

Also have a background in similar roles for other companies in the tool hire (construction) industry, banking industry and also co-operative movement.

I come from a support & sysadmin background so can do Unix and Windows support. I am also reasonably involved in the local Open Source community so have a few interests in that area too.

My brother is in Edmonton, AB (over in May for a holiday) so would be nice to be there but I am interested in the IT job market generally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.