Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by port7
I am currently chief architect for a major UK retailer, .
M&S by any chance?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:10 am
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny B
M&S by any chance?
Nah, a bit more downmarket than that
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:44 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Netto?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Bigstar14 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not Harrods then...?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigstar14
It's not Harrods then...?
British home stores
Tesco,
woolworths,
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:55 am
I am the other man....

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
British home stores
Tesco,
woolworths,
Begins with M and is based in the North West
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Begins with M and is based in the North West
ah Morrisons thats okay we won't hold that against you
and they do make good bread
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:34 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason I asked is because I used to work in IT for M&S and we had job titles with Chief in the name

I tried it here in Kamloops and they thought I was part Native..
Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:41 pm
I am the other man....

Originally Posted by Danny B
Only reason I asked is because I used to work in IT for M&S and we had job titles with Chief in the name

I tried it here in Kamloops and they thought I was part Native..
Well like most places my job title changes depending on who you are speaking to, from senior architect to technical architecture manager to just tech arch or even systems consultant.

Back to the original question, whats the call for tech arch's in Canada?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well like most places my job title changes depending on who you are speaking to, from senior architect to technical architecture manager to just tech arch or even systems consultant.

Back to the original question, whats the call for tech arch's in Canada?
what a shame that was fun
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:52 pm
I am the other man....

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
what a shame that was fun
Well no-one has correctly guessed my current assignment
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Give us a clue
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xxalxx
There is a salary checker at Monster.ca click here
thanks for that - just had a go and wages for 'sytems administrator' in new brunswick and manitoba are higher than what oh is earning in the uk! rock on!

anita :-)
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

mark one?
matalan?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:08 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshmountie
I've been to Kamloops and would probably be tempted but it is too far from the UK for my wife. It's going to be one of the small cities in the east coast of Canada for us I'm afraid. I just hope that IT companies there are having the same difficulties as you. If so my long experience and skills should be well suited.

Perhaps your company should advertise on www.jobserve.com. Although this is the UK link, from there, if a UK based IT guy wants to seek a job elsewhere in the world such as Canada, he need just check the North American tick box and it links its search to the NA affiliated site. Workopolis, Monster and in particular Monster.ca are not that well known here yet.

A few more things that are probably major factors apart from these job visibility issues are indeed, "the money", seemingly longer hours and very minimal paid annual leave. For prospective UK immigrants I would think the latter is a big turn off, especially bearing in mind many are leaving close family for their new lives. They will feel the need to use their leave to go back to visit aging parents, yet would still like some decent time left over to discover Canada as well. Two or three weeks total just does not allow both needs to happen. Perhaps this is the key incentive rather than the money if you are to lure more UK IT staff with the skills and experience that are in demand. Well it would be for me anyway.

So are there any leading edge IT companies in Fredericton, New Brunswick that can entice me?
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY "YES"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.