Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:02 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Is ITIL recognised/wanted in Canada?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:28 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Is ITIL recognised/wanted in Canada?

Yes and Yes, Canada is generally behind the UK and outsourcing is taking off in a big way to reduce costs for local governments. So ITIL is becoming a key selling point for suppliers.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritInCan
Hi

I am an IT professional and have been through the skilled worker route to get into Canada. I'm now running my own IT business in Calgary.

If any of you IT guys want to get in touch I might be able to give you some pointers etc. plus we are always on the look out for good people.......

and by the way, its worth the wait!
you mean you got in WITHOUT a job offer?? many people on this forum would have you believe that's nigh-on impossible...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xxalxx
it most certainly is, it provides hope to the rest of us, tho everyone else seems to be software instead of hardware like me
i know how you feel - sean's hardware too and when people hear you're in IT they go on about the LMO exemption and how IT's easy to find jobs in, and then you realise they're talking about software :-(

anita (remaining positive-minded for a job offer netherless!)
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:59 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
you mean you got in WITHOUT a job offer?? many people on this forum would have you believe that's nigh-on impossible...
I arrived without a Job Offer it just took 2 years using the Skilled Worker visa method. But once here I had a job offer within a week and started work 16 days after landing ....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I arrived without a Job Offer it just took 2 years using the Skilled Worker visa method. But once here I had a job offer within a week and started work 16 days after landing ....
Those were the days when you could get there on a skilled worker application in under half a century, if i thought we could get there in 2 years with ours i would be over the moon,
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

trouncer is on a distinguished road

Hi all. Been reading through a lot of this thread. Wish there was an equivalent 'Dave+Jules' contact and advisor for Vancouver which is where I'm heading. I too am also more hardware (senior networking analyst for a major bank in the UK) so not a software guy . What is there for us hardware guys ?!!!

Also my CCNA expired 3 yrs ago. Would it still be useful to mention ? The fact it expired doesn't mean I'm any less capable, just bad at exams. Any suggestions ? (btw, I have a BSc. in Computer Studies, HND in Telecoms and experience in working for a global brand bank, BT and cable companies). What do you think my chances are in downtown Vancouver ?

Just don't understand how people do it or manage to get jobs before landing. I've applied so many times from the UK (resume amended and modified a few times).

I'm willing to work at any level (eg. Network operations ? Controller ? Co ordinator ? but not great as a fielld eng I'm afraid), as I feel beggers can't be choosers and we all gotta live, eat and sleep.

Any comments and suggestions/advice welcome.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:13 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trouncer

If you work for a global brand bank - is there no chance of an intra-company transfer with them?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

No. I tried that route and you have to have an appraisal with 'god-like' marks to qualify for a secondment. Also those secondments were very few and far between. Besides that. I dont work for the bank anymore and now work for a smaller but still global company. Unfortunatley they dont have any Canadian offices (altho they do in Australia but offices as in 3 or 4 people).
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:54 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seanyg
I got my Skilled worker Visa without a job offer - I didnt apply for Jobs until I got the Visa - the Job offer came one month after the Visa.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:33 pm
Visa Feb 2008,

Andrea&Mark is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by BritInCan
Hi

I am an IT professional and have been through the skilled worker route to get into Canada. I'm now running my own IT business in Calgary.

If any of you IT guys want to get in touch I might be able to give you some pointers etc. plus we are always on the look out for good people.......

and by the way, its worth the wait!
Hi

I have PM'd you

Andrea & Family
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Yes and Yes, Canada is generally behind the UK and outsourcing is taking off in a big way to reduce costs for local governments. So ITIL is becoming a key selling point for suppliers.
Thats good to know.

What about PRINCE2 is there a big demand for this qual in project management in Canada or is it more Six Sigma as I think I read somewhere ages ago.

Cheers Dave
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:39 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by trouncer
Also my CCNA expired 3 yrs ago. Would it still be useful to mention ? The fact it expired doesn't mean I'm any less capable, just bad at exams. Any suggestions ? (btw, I have a BSc. in Computer Studies, HND in Telecoms and experience in working for a global brand bank, BT and cable companies). What do you think my chances are in downtown Vancouver ?

Just don't understand how people do it or manage to get jobs before landing. I've applied so many times from the UK (resume amended and modified a few times).

I'm willing to work at any level (eg. Network operations ? Controller ? Co ordinator ? but not great as a fielld eng I'm afraid), as I feel beggers can't be choosers and we all gotta live, eat and sleep.

A BSc in Computer Studies should hold you in good stead. I'd also recommend upgrading your certifications as certs, degrees and diplomas are generally more important than in the UK. Your complaint of no response is a common one. At my tech company even the level 1 support have degrees, are bilingual etc. Competition for good jobs here can be fierce. I also see a lot of people getting their foot in the door because they knew so and so who works there. Cronyism and nepotism are rife unfortunately.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the response Jandro (any other comments are more than welcome).

The prospect of fierce competition is quite daunting. I've also hear nepotism and cronyism is also quite rife too, but how does someone who has just arrived get to know about positions and jobs ? Without knowing anyone, how does one start a network of contacts. I know advice can be found on this website but I'd like to know some real life experiences and examples if possible.

I'll try getting re-certified but I'm bad at exams. I have years of experience and skills to offer though !
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:53 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Thats good to know.

What about PRINCE2 is there a big demand for this qual in project management in Canada or is it more Six Sigma as I think I read somewhere ages ago.

Cheers Dave
PRINCE2 awareness is growing, Boston and Toronto Universities are now exam centres (I also think that Ottawa has one too). I believe than in the next 2 years your will see a brising demand for PRINCE2 skills. so if you are emigrating as a PM, get this certifications in the UK and join the PMI and sit their PMP certification (which is seen as a must have here in Canada).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.