Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:01 am
Around and around...

Spirael will become famous soon enoughSpirael will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Hi!

Sorry to randomly jump into the thread, but I was wondering if anyone could advise of what my job would translate to in Canadian terms.

Here in the UK I'm a Data Analyst (3 years experience). Basically I work almost exclusively on MS SQL Server, coding in SQL to make data amendments, load in new data sets, generate reports as requested, etc. I occasionally use Excel.

I also have some experience as an IT Technician (building PCs/Servers, supporting software and such for around 50 users) and for Web Design (primarily using ASP to link to SQL / MS Access).

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:41 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by what it would translate into? Jobs over here tend to be similar in Canada - although the title may be slightly different.

I notice you have Ottawa in mind - it's been discussed on here before that new immigrants looking for IT in Ottawa generally have a couple of problems - 1) French is quite often wanted/expected 2) A lot of the jobs are government based and need security clearance which you can't obtain straight away. Worth bearing in mind.... I don't have first hand experience of this, just what has been said before on here.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Not sure what you mean by what it would translate into? Jobs over here tend to be similar in Canada - although the title may be slightly different.

I notice you have Ottawa in mind - it's been discussed on here before that new immigrants looking for IT in Ottawa generally have a couple of problems - 1) French is quite often wanted/expected 2) A lot of the jobs are government based and need security clearance which you can't obtain straight away. Worth bearing in mind.... I don't have first hand experience of this, just what has been said before on here.
Thanks G77 OH does speak French anyway but take on board what you are saying, We have found well over 100 IT companies in the Ottawa area that are non government, i have found some info on LMO exempt but just wanted to see if anyone has gone down that route,
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:21 am
Around and around...

Originally Posted by G77

By what it translates to I meant what the title change was likely to be, so I could search better on the online sites and get my resume making more sense.

For the jobs I've been looking at, some require French but not all. I speak basic tourist French, and I'll hopefully be doing night classes while my application processes in order to try and improve on it. Though it's not essential for my application as I've put down I don't speak French at all and still had enough points.

How does the security clearance system work over there, can anyone advise? Do you need to be a Canadian citizen in order to be security cleared? I'm no stranger to working with sensitive data and have been cleared here in the UK.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:39 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spirael

How does the security clearance system work over there, can anyone advise? Do you need to be a Canadian citizen in order to be security cleared? I'm no stranger to working with sensitive data and have been cleared here in the UK.

Don't have to be a citizen I believe, but have to have been resident in Canada for a period of time (12 months springs to mind)....

When I've searched on workopolis, monster etc, there seems to be more IT work available in Toronto, which is odd, as you say, Ottawa is supposed to be the high tech capital and there's many many IT companies there - maybe a lot of the jobs are hidden jobs. If I manage to get a transfer with the company I work for, I will probably head to Ottawa (our Canadian HQ is there), if not then probably the GTA/TO instead....
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Don't have to be a citizen I believe, but have to have been resident in Canada for a period of time (12 months springs to mind)....
I don't believe that's true, as I'm in the middle of getting a security clearance here and no-one's yet said that they can't do it because I've only been here six months. Someone else said they got 'secret'-level security clearance while on a work permit.

I believe 'top secret' is pretty difficult to get if you're not a citizen, and in Ottawa you could be in trouble as you won't be able to use 'canadian eyes only' documents.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:24 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I was successfully security cleared by GPEB & the RCMP and I had only been in Canada for 1 month.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I think a bigger issue is that a lot of places simply won't take on non-citizens for jobs that need security clearance since it's a hassle for them to organise and can take a long time to process. In my case I'm not doing anything 'secret' at the moment so it doesn't really matter if I'm not cleared until the end of the year, but you don't want to be unable to do any useful work for months until the clearance comes through.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I don't believe that's true, as I'm in the middle of getting a security clearance here and no-one's yet said that they can't do it because I've only been here six months. Someone else said they got 'secret'-level security clearance while on a work permit.

I believe 'top secret' is pretty difficult to get if you're not a citizen, and in Ottawa you could be in trouble as you won't be able to use 'canadian eyes only' documents.
Are they pretty lax here then? My dh (who lived in UK since 3 years old, but was born in Vancouver) was offered an electronics job by a well know UK defence company several years ago, passing a series of very vigourous interviews and tests, but after being told that he had the job, the offer was then withdrawn (thankfully before he'd handed his notice in!) because of problems with "the official secrets act"/security clearance.

He couldn't understand this, having never had so much as a speeding ticket, and he found out after much probing that it was purely because he had dual nationality! I guess they were worried where his loyalty would lie if the UK ever declared war on Canada PMSL!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

By what it translates to I meant what the title change was likely to be, so I could search better on the online sites and get my resume making more sense.
I've seen that job around simply listed as a Database Analyst, or sometimes as a Business Intelligence Analyst. I haven't looked at that position myself, but recall seeing it in various locations.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Ive been searching for I.T jobs in the Kamloops area for my husband for ages and I can't find a single one
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:17 pm
Around and around...

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
I've seen that job around simply listed as a Database Analyst, or sometimes as a Business Intelligence Analyst. I haven't looked at that position myself, but recall seeing it in various locations.
Thanks, that helps for getting my resume understandable over there!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Aireir,

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you, been busy with work and life in general, but back onto the Canada trail again now

I have came up with a resume, which I have pm'd if you could give it a quick look and tell us what you think.

cheers

Al
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

nickbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Airseir
I think that that is the popular mis-conception. There is high competition for jobs in the big cities and high chance of not getting an IT job where as in the small cities skilled workers can take there pick and have different companies fight for them.
From my and other people's experiences, trying to get an IT job in the big cities (Calgary, Vancouver Ottawa, for example) seems to suck beyond belief. Montreal's a better job market but you might need French. Toronto has opportunities but who the hell wants to live there? In Canada, the number of decent candidates per job seems so much more than the UK.
I've always had success getting IT jobs, in the UK and USA before I went to Canada, then in the UK when I came back, despite that being after a 2-year gap without working in IT. But in Canada, you often can't even get an acknowledgement from potential employers.

The small cities do seem to offer more opportunities that is true. However, if there are few local employers, you're dependent on their fortunes and might be forced to move if they went away. Also although the small cities are cheap to live in , the IT jobs often don't pay that much. I worked in a hotel and took home about 75% of what the IT support guys took home, for way less stress.

Oh and one other thing, my current UK public sector job has 6 weeks holiday and people have been known to take 4 weeks in 1 block.

So do you really want an IT job in Canada?
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: IT Skilled workers

Hi!

Sorry to randomly jump into the thread, but I was wondering if anyone could advise of what my job would translate to in Canadian terms.

Here in the UK I'm a Data Analyst (3 years experience). Basically I work almost exclusively on MS SQL Server, coding in SQL to make data amendments, load in new data sets, generate reports as requested, etc. I occasionally use Excel.

I also have some experience as an IT Technician (building PCs/Servers, supporting software and such for around 50 users) and for Web Design (primarily using ASP to link to SQL / MS Access).

Thanks in advance!

IT job titles in Canada are the same as in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.