Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jun 21st 2021, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by Gozit
So for the new requirements for fully vaccinated travelers - my Maltese vaccinations certificate states the vaccine received as "COMIRNATY - BIONTECH" instead of Pfizer ... Comirnaty is the name of the Pfizer vaccine used in Europe. It is the same Pfizer vaccine they just call it that over here for some reason. Is this likely to be an issue or will PHAC/CBSA have knowledge of this?
(Snip of certificate attached)

We might be on strike so we won't care
Old Jun 21st 2021, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The children thing never makes sense to me, the BC Government has spent the last school year saying kids are very low risk and both getting and spreading COVID as part of the reasoning why school was being kept in session.

I agree with you I have no problem with the pre-departure and arrival PCR tests and 24hrs quarantine. But at some point the "think of the children!!" fear mentality is going to have to stop. We do have to go back to normal. This is a step towards it. The point of vaccination is not that everyone needs to be vaccinated. But once we reach "herd immunity" those who do not get vaccinated whether by choice, or because they are ineligible or have a pre-existing condition, will be protected by the 75% herd immunity and spread of the disease will cease, therefore we no longer need to protect the unvaccinated with public health measures, they will be protected by those who are and continue to get vaccinated.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Now just need the land border open for non-essential travel, then I will be happy.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

So for the new requirements for fully vaccinated travelers - my Maltese vaccinations certificate states the vaccine received as "COMIRNATY - BIONTECH" instead of Pfizer ... Comirnaty is the name of the Pfizer vaccine used in Europe. It is the same Pfizer vaccine they just call it that over here for some reason. Is this likely to be an issue or will PHAC/CBSA have knowledge of this?

I don't think you will have any issues, they are smarter than they look! 😂😂

Old Jun 21st 2021, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Now just need the land border open for non-essential travel, then I will be happy.
As USC’s we do not need a reason to cross over the border into the US…same as Canadian PRs coming back to Canada. Or at least that’s how I understand it. I think the 14 day quarantine upon return still applies?
Old Jun 21st 2021, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS version is more or less identical.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As USC’s we do not need a reason to cross over the border into the US…same as Canadian PRs coming back to Canada. Or at least that’s how I understand it. I think the 14 day quarantine upon return still applies?

But my wife isn't a US person and she wants to see my family too.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
But my wife isn't a US person and she wants to see my family too.
Of course.

We are considering either flying or driving to the west coast for a few weeks. It’s been a long time since we drove down the PCH. We left the car at the Mexican border, crossed by foot and picked up a cab on the other side. Cab driver dropped us off in Tijuana…or at least tried to. I stepped out of the cab, took a look around and got straight back in.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 6:42 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fairly sure that a US citizen entering the US from Canada by a land border can do so without an "essential" reason to do so. If they are also a Canadian citizen, or PR (not sure on if you just have a valid work permit) then they can still cross back over via a land border, but will still need a negative test before coming in, then quarantine for 14 days, and have a test during that period. If it's negative, then you're all good after 14 days. Be prepared to be be checked up on too, be that a phone call, or a knock on the door.

Unless it's been updated since the news this morning, the above still applies to land border crossings, though I suspect it may change when the new travel rules for air travel come into affect.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Growing up we would usually go to Tijuana a couple times a year for a day, have lunch, my parents would buy a few things, when I turned 18, I went a few times since drinking age was lower, but then discovered Cabo and I could fly their with my flight benefits for like $25 in taxes so I'd fly down to Cabo a couple times a month.

Going into Mexico is the easy part, its the coming back to the US that is a pain in the rear end, and can take several hours depending on the day, the Tijuana and San Diego border is one of the busiest land crossings in the world, usually ranking at or near the #1 spot in a normal year, for economic purposes, Tijuana and San Diego are one city divided by an international border.

Today so far, 2 1/2 hours has been the longest wait and this is with COVID restrictions limited travel across it, on a busy day in normal years 3-5 hours to cross isn't unheard of.

It's an insane border crossing.

Of course.

We are considering either flying or driving to the west coast for a few weeks. It’s been a long time since we drove down the PCH. We left the car at the Mexican border, crossed by foot and picked up a cab on the other side. Cab driver dropped us off in Tijuana…or at least tried to. I stepped out of the cab, took a look around and got straight back in.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 21st 2021 at 7:11 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sharkus
I'm fairly sure that a US citizen entering the US from Canada by a land border can do so without an "essential" reason to do so. If they are also a Canadian citizen, or PR (not sure on if you just have a valid work permit) then they can still cross back over via a land border, but will still need a negative test before coming in, then quarantine for 14 days, and have a test during that period. If it's negative, then you're all good after 14 days. Be prepared to be be checked up on too, be that a phone call, or a knock on the door.

Unless it's been updated since the news this morning, the above still applies to land border crossings, though I suspect it may change when the new travel rules for air travel come into affect.

You are correct, USCs do not need a reason to enter the US. We cannot be refused entry. I am a little confused about the 14 day quarantine, if coming back to Canada after July 5th. Some say the restrictions have been dropped for land and air, but I haven’t read an official notification.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You can also decide to walk across the pedestrian bridge at San Ysidro which might be a bit quicker.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You can also decide to walk across the pedestrian bridge at San Ysidro which might be a bit quicker.
Indeed it is at times, and the San Diego trolley stops at the border, which can take you directly to downtown and beyond.

For those using the Tijuana airport but with destination of San Diego or originating in San Diego, there is that bridge that links the US to the Tijuana airport, there is a fee to use it though, but makes getting to/from the Tijuana airport so much easier.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. A bureaucrat may make an issue about nothing. However every Canadian arriving from Europe in Canada will have that same Comirnaty - Biontech sticker in the yellow vaccination passport.

Comirnaty is the marketing name in Europe of the product BNT162b2.

Biontech develloped it in Germany which is owned by Pfizer.

The official website even mentioned that the traveller can be vaccinated in any country.

I'd say the CBSA will be familiar with the terms being used, however the official website could have been clearer.

In many EU countries they even seem to be giving batch stickers of the specific Comirnaty / Biontech / Pfizer vaccine.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jun 21st 2021 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
The NHS version is more or less identical.
Good to see. It makes sense that we used the same template as the British, as our health system is very similar to and somewhat intertwined with the NHS in the UK due to our former colonial status.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I know what you mean. A bureaucrat may make an issue about nothing. However every Canadian arriving from Europe in Canada will have that same Comirnaty - Biontech sticker in the yellow vaccination passport.

Comirnaty is the marketing name in Europe of the product BNT162b2.

Biontech develloped it in Germany which is owned by Pfizer.

The official website even mentioned that the traveller can be vaccinated in any country.

I'd say the CBSA will be familiar with the terms being used, however the official website could have been clearer.

In many EU countries they even seem to be giving batch stickers of the specific Comirnaty / Biontech / Pfizer vaccine.
Yeah I reckon it will be fine, just a bit worried.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.