Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jun 21st 2021, 9:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

I would think hotels will be pissed off at all the 14 day bookings being cancelled at short notice. I suppose you'd have to pay for one night then cancel the rest of the stay
Old Jun 21st 2021, 11:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You can also decide to walk across the pedestrian bridge at San Ysidro which might be a bit quicker.
It worked for Josh Brolin (No Country for Old Men) didn't even have a passport with him.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 1:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Good news. I wouldn't wait too long for the flight back to Canada. Come September new variants will dominate and who knows what other things politicians dream up.

Here is the official link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...g-canada3.html
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are correct, USCs do not need a reason to enter the US. We cannot be refused entry. I am a little confused about the 14 day quarantine, if coming back to Canada after July 5th. Some say the restrictions have been dropped for land and air, but I haven’t read an official notification.
See the link provided by OM, above

Beginning July 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, fully vaccinated travellers who are permitted to enter Canada will not be subject to the federal requirement to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test on day-8. In addition, fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air will not be required to stay at a government-authorized hotel.

Fully vaccinated travellers must also be asymptomatic, have a paper or digital copy of their vaccination documentation, and provide COVID-19-related information electronically through ArriveCAN prior to arrival in Canada. They must still present a suitable quarantine plan, and be prepared to quarantine, in case it is determined at the border that they do not meet all of the conditions required to be exempt from quarantine. As with all other exempt travellers, they will be required to follow public health measures in place, such as wearing a mask when in public, keep a copy of their vaccine and test results, as well as a list of close contacts for 14 days after entry to Canada.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

AZ vaccine does not seem to be approved for general use here. I know it has been used, but only for certain groups, and Dr Henry's advice has been have a mRNA vaccine for the 2nd jab if you had AZ as the first.

Certainly AZ does not appear to provide as strong a protection as the other vaccines.

How does that work for people arriving from, eg the UK, where AZ has been the main vaccine?

Will there be a list of approved and not approved vaccines?
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 2:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

"To be considered fully vaccinated, a traveller must have received the full series of a vaccine — or combination of vaccines — accepted by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to entering Canada. Currently, those vaccines are manufactured by Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson). Travellers can receive their vaccine in any country, and must provide documentation supporting their vaccination in English, French or with a certified translation."

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...g-canada3.html

Originally Posted by scilly
AZ vaccine does not seem to be approved for general use here. I know it has been used, but only for certain groups, and Dr Henry's advice has been have a mRNA vaccine for the 2nd jab if you had AZ as the first.

Certainly AZ does not appear to provide as strong a protection as the other vaccines.

How does that work for people arriving from, eg the UK, where AZ has been the main vaccine?

Will there be a list of approved and not approved vaccines?
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Good to see. It makes sense that we used the same template as the British, as our health system is very similar to and somewhat intertwined with the NHS in the UK due to our former colonial status.

Yeah I reckon it will be fine, just a bit worried.
I am certainly also worried, but if bureaucrats, politicians and lawmakers describe "the Pfizer vaccine" as acceptable and BNT162b2 / Comirnaty / Biontech is the only development by Pfizer against Covid 19, than that must be the only acceptable answer. Also the fact that they mention on the official website that they accept any Canadian or PR who has been vaccinated in any country it would seem correct that Comirnaty as the name of the vaccine will be acceptable.

I would expect that CBSA officers will be trained on the proper international terminology of the vaccine as well and we are not the only Canadians arriving from the EU. We will most likely read about any issues in this field in the first few days after July 6th.....
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I am certainly also worried, but if bureaucrats, politicians and lawmakers describe "the Pfizer vaccine" as acceptable and BNT162b2 / Comirnaty / Biontech is the only development by Pfizer against Covid 19, than that must be the only acceptable answer. Also the fact that they mention on the official website that they accept any Canadian or PR who has been vaccinated in any country it would seem correct that Comirnaty as the name of the vaccine will be acceptable.

I would expect that CBSA officers will be trained on the proper international terminology of the vaccine as well and we are not the only Canadians arriving from the EU. We will most likely read about any issues in this field in the first few days after July 6th.....
Agreed. My family wants me to fly right on July 6 but I reckon its better to give it a few days to let the dust settle and hear reports of how the system is working.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. My family wants me to fly right on July 6 but I reckon its better to give it a few days to let the dust settle and hear reports of how the system is working.
Irony:
Nobody wants to run the risk, getting manhandled Gestapo-style upon arrival at the airport, then walked into some windowless basement interrogation office by a CBSA officer and interrogated why one didn't book or reserve the government mandated hotel.

:-)

I don't think that this will happen nor can they afford to have this kind of behaviour of their staff. However one wants to be on the safe side and not running the risk of encountering a CBSA officer who hasn't heard about the quarantine free entry of a Canadian or PR who has been vaccinated.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a true story about the Govt introducing policies & procedures at the border but forgetting to tell the staff at the border about the new policy & procedures.
Many years ago the Govt decided to increase the personal exemptions for returning residents basically meaning they could now bring back X amounts of goods duty free after being out of the country for X amount of time.
I was working the day shift and went to work as normal. Traveller returned declaring X amount of goods. Told said traveller that they were over the limit and would need to pay on the excess. Traveller got pissed at me and insisted I was in the wrong. After several minutes of back and forth and for some unknown reason I checked my work email. Well wouldn't you know there was an email received after I had first interacted with the traveller telling us about the new exemption limits.
So who was at fault? The traveller seemed to know about the new exemptions. The email had not been sent when I checked on starting my shift so how was I to know?

In cases like these then wouldn't it be beneficial for all concerned for the traveller to have the correct information at hand and if they feel the CBSA officer is wrong politely ask to be heard and offer the information or ask to see a supervisor rather than getting into a pissing match with the officer and insinuating how incompetent they are and should know their job as there is just the possibility that the officer might not be aware of the changes as they have not been timely informed.
The announcements they made yesterday are they clear and unambiguous or are there still questions unanswered? If you cant understand them then why is it not acceptable that a CBSA officer doesn't understand them?
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The announcements they made yesterday are they clear and unambiguous or are there still questions unanswered? If you cant understand them then why is it not acceptable that a CBSA officer doesn't understand them?

To be on the safe side, I'd say they should have said "Pfizer a.k.a. Biontech a.k.a. Comirnaty " instead of just "Pfizer". Otherwise things seem to be clear.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 6:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget you are still requred to have a quarantine plan ready to show... 'just in case' - even if not needed. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...g-canada3.html
Fully vaccinated travellers must also be asymptomatic, have a paper or digital copy of their vaccination documentation, and provide COVID-19-related information electronically through ArriveCAN prior to arrival in Canada. They must still present a suitable quarantine plan, and be prepared to quarantine, in case it is determined at the border that they do not meet all of the conditions required to be exempt from quarantine. As with all other exempt travellers, they will be required to follow public health measures in place, such as wearing a mask when in public, keep a copy of their vaccine and test results, as well as a list of close contacts for 14 days after entry to Canada
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Don't forget you are still requred to have a quarantine plan ready to show... 'just in case' - even if not needed. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...g-canada3.html
Yes - though I don't anticipate this to be an issue as obviously i won't travel if i'm symptomatic, and I will have all paperwork ready in spades to prove eligibility for the exemption.

According to here - https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...eTd8NWlaSr6JIQ

and here - https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ph...vellers-en.pdf

If the CBSA officer approves my exemption then I don't even need to quarantine until the negative arrival test is received.

They updated the vaccine eligibility page to include the Comirnaty name for Pfizer so that issue is sorted. Looking like I will have all my ducks in a row.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

They updated the vaccine eligibility page to include the Comirnaty name for Pfizer so that issue is sorted. Looking like I will have all my ducks in a row.
Sounds great !

According to the website:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

it says:Accepted vaccines:
  • Pfizer (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria, AZD1222, Covishield)
  • Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) - single dose
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have just noticed my vaccination certificate states I received my last dose on 08th June 2021, whereas the vaccine card correctly states 07th June. Something I should probably rectify.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have just noticed my vaccination certificate states I received my last dose on 08th June 2021, whereas the vaccine card correctly states 07th June. Something I should probably rectify.
As long as you're over the 14 day limit, I'd say, you're fine, but if you're dealing with a bureaucrat you can never be sure.

The only bottleneck or challenge I would see in that process is to get a molecular test plus result 72 hours prior to arrival, which would be landing in Canada. ( Minus 8 hours for the flight.... )

Do airports do these kind of Covid 19 tests sort of "on the spot"? ( Amsterdam or Frankfurt ? ) Or would some other testing center do? In the worst case, I would have to cancel the whole flight, if I don't get the test pls result in time... Any experiences?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jun 23rd 2021 at 2:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.