Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Physically finding a job in Canada

Physically finding a job in Canada

Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physically finding a job in Canada

Originally Posted by dinger24
Everyone has opinions and views!
If people network for any other gain than a thank you they will surely end up disappointed more often than not, in fact I would tend to say that even a thank you is becoming much more rare! So I only network for free!
Well thank you for your opinion
I have never networked. This is in the traditional BE sense of using or gaining contacts to further your career, find a job, etc. You can make the phrase all cuddly by defining all social interaction as networking. However, if that was really the case people wouldn't say it was more important to network here than in the UK now would they.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Many people get networking so confused and label it as simply a*** licking for self benefit! many of these people are of course self indulgent, ignorant, arrogant and lack decent personal skills
But the a*** licking is important with regards to finding a job.

In my husband's employment, there is definitely an element of more than just being friendly, sociable or going camping with the right people. There is seniority which is hugely important, and knowing the right people. Whether you suck up to them, or happen to play hockey with them is not relevant.

My husband recently got a hard-fought-for place on a new department (Lord knows how, because he didn't "network" Talent wins out?! ) but as soon as his confirmation was announced he had people coming out the woodwork, emailing him, shaking his hand in the corridors saying "well done buddy". Some of these people have previously blanked him, ignored him or who he has never met. But now that he has the new post, he might be useful to them in the future and might put in a good word for when they apply next year.

Don't tell me that is a sudden urge to be sociable and friendly to him. That is blatent a*** licking and he's sadly cynical enough to see that. He has always refused to play this game, and finds it quite distasteful. He just slowly wears them all down with his good nature, talent and skills. But it takes longer than the a*** licking route
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You can make the phrase all cuddly by defining all social interaction as networking.
Hmmm . . . . .

Network -
1. To interact or engage in informal communication with others for mutual assistance or support.
2. forming business connections and contacts through informal social meetings
3. to meet people
4. to exchange ideas
5. to make contacts
6. to interact

I draw your attention to number 6! Are we interacting? or you wanting a cuddle?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Yawn... are you stuck on some kind of loop or something? You must get tired of repeating yourself.
Nope. Do you?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

What's with the cosmo psychology - do you spend all day watching sex in the city for tips on the human psyche?
Sex in the city - whats that?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn... are you stuck on some kind of loop or something? You must get tired of repeating yourself.
Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Nope. Do you?
How about we get this thread back on track and stop the squabbling?

Thank you.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Switch
Has anybody else got any experience of just going to gain employment from any companies that will be willing to go through the LMO process?
So does anyone have any experience?
Has anyone just packed their suitcase and arrived and simply cold called
What are the likely hood of an employer being interested in a UK national showing commitment by turning up on their door step?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Thank you.
Agreed. Fair point & well made!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

So does anyone have any experience?
Has anyone just packed their suitcase and arrived and simply cold called
What are the likely hood of an employer being interested in a UK national showing commitment by turning up on their door step?
Dinger24

I think that this is a very valid point and shows that everyone who has or plans to emigrated has indulged in a certain amount of networking. If you cold call anyone they normally knock you back before even giving you a chance. Even if you are headhunted you are involved in the process.

Yelkcub
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Nope. Do you?
Whatever...
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Thank you.
Sorry. Now that people have proved the point in my second post in this thread I'll leave it alone.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 14th 2009 at 9:33 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am actually in the process of booking a flight to Calgary right now (mrs is doing it on othermeans!)
This is so she can she the country herself and I had every intention of calling a couple potential employers! So Iam very wary that cold calling is the right thing to do?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:46 am
Just Joined

flem26 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am actually in the process of booking a flight to Calgary right now (mrs is doing it on othermeans!)
This is so she can she the country herself and I had every intention of calling a couple potential employers! So Iam very wary that cold calling is the right thing to do?
I can remember being a recent ad/pr grad from the University of Central Florida and cold calling adverting agencies in the Calgary area 10 years ago. I actually got to meet up with folks at two outfits during the summer of 1999.

I cold called them from Orlando and told them I would be in the area for more than two weeks. Cold calling is doable.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Its good to hear some positive feedback
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Fruititoots is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Switch
I am a British national who wants to live in Canada. I have been three times on vacation and bout a newly condo in 2007.
I have tried for months to try and seek employment from the UK, and it has been quite honestly, a waste of time. So I aim to go in Feb for 6 months to get a job that will have a positive LMO outcome.
I am targeting organisations that have jobs on Job bank as I hope and pray that these should have an idea of what an LMO is and are willing to seek one for the right applicant. I.e. me!!

Has anybody else got any experience of just going to gain employment from any companies that will be willing to go through the LMO process?
Where in Canada? If your interested in Vancouver have a look at http://www.able-recruiters.com/ - they say the can help but you have to be there.

I'm targeting BC (Vancouver) because I work for a hotel and BC have a program in place to expedite the LMO for certain jobs - are your familiar with it?? http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincialnominee/welcome.htm

Hope this was helpful.

Toots

PS - they say you don't have to have a work permit!! Oh my!!

Last edited by Fruititoots; Oct 15th 2009 at 8:44 am. Reason: Info update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.