Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Physically finding a job in Canada

Physically finding a job in Canada

Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Physically finding a job in Canada

Obviously enthusiasm does not land you a job! I think most people on here are going to apply for jobs that they recognize they are qualified for, or at least I would hope so!
My point was that a good business person would recognize that an enthusiastic, qualified UK resident whom has committed themself by moving to Canada would be given as much a chance as any Canadian applying for the same job!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dinger24
Obviously enthusiasm does not land you a job! I think most people on here are going to apply for jobs that they recognize they are qualified for, or at least I would hope so!
My point was that a good business person would recognize that an enthusiastic, qualified UK resident whom has committed themself by moving to Canada would be given as much a chance as any Canadian applying for the same job!
I would agree, as long as they are legally entitled to work in Canada.

I know many people do get job offers and TWPs, but that seems to be getting increasingly harder. There are alot more qualified Canadians looking for work now than there were even a couple of years ago.

Myself and my partner came over here on his BUNAC work permit while our PR application was ongoing. I did not qualify for BUNAC. While I was here as a visitor (15 months in the end!) I applied for no end of jobs. I was qualified and had over 19 years experience in financial services. We had a house here and were committed to (hopefully) staying in Canada. It made no difference. I lost count of the number of employers who told me to contact them once we had PR.

I'm not saying it is impossible, it certainly isn't, but enthusiasm needs to be tempered with a touch of realism to the current economic situation. It does seems to be having a big impact on TWPs, with both LMOs being refused and a number of people who came over on work permits being the first out the door when the company looks at letting people go.

I'm not trying to put a damper on things, it's just something to bear in mind!

Last edited by Little D; Sep 24th 2009 at 6:52 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hijack for a moment but LittleD, did you end up getting a role back within the financial services industry and if so, what is it that you do please ? (PM is more appropriate)

I work in the same industry and will be relocating in a fortnight (Calgary but flexible), I'm looking for a realist overview of the industry.

Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
And yet this forum is replete with stories of people that had years of experience in the UK in a certain position, unable to find work in Canada due to lack of "Canadian experience".

UK hiring mentality does not exist over here. One needs the bit of paper stating one is qualified to do the job (and that is recognised in Canada), one then needs Canadian experience and, in a perfect world, one then needs to know the person making the hiring decision. Nepotism is a much greater evil over here than it is in the UK.

Best of luck
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by phat-dave
Sorry to hijack for a moment but LittleD, did you end up getting a role back within the financial services industry and if so, what is it that you do please ? (PM is more appropriate)

I work in the same industry and will be relocating in a fortnight (Calgary but flexible), I'm looking for a realist overview of the industry.

Cheers
In the UK I worked for large national and global financial services/insurance and re-insurance firms.

There are a number of large insurance/banking offices in Calgary, and I applied for a number of vacancies and also sent my resume in 'on-spec'. I only heard back from one company - ING, and they were looking for an entry level position and after discussing it with me considered me over-qualified (I would have taken it as a foot in the door!).

In the end, I got a job (entry-level) for a small wealth management company. I started the day after we landed, and stayed there until the beginning of this month.

On Monday I am starting a new job. Not in financial services, but a complete change of career and I can't wait!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little D
... ING, and they were looking for an entry level position and after discussing it with me considered me over-qualified (I would have taken it as a foot in the door!).

In the end, I got a job (entry-level) for a small wealth management company. I started the day after we landed, and stayed there until the beginning of this month.

On Monday I am starting a new job. Not in financial services, but a complete change of career and I can't wait!
This is not intended as a personal attack on Little D. However, it is worth thinking about.

ING quite correctly identified the poster would not be around for long. The wealth management company didn't, and after a few months has to go through the whole recruiting process again. Are they likely to hire a newbie this time?

Sometimes the "Canadian experience" thing is a red herring. Sometimes Canadian companies don't hire newcomers because they don't like being treated as a stepping stone. Overcoming this fear should be pert of everyone's job hunting strategy.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This is not intended as a personal attack on Little D. However, it is worth thinking about.

ING quite correctly identified the poster would not be around for long. The wealth management company didn't, and after a few months has to go through the whole recruiting process again. Are they likely to hire a newbie this time?

Sometimes the "Canadian experience" thing is a red herring. Sometimes Canadian companies don't hire newcomers because they don't like being treated as a stepping stone. Overcoming this fear should be pert of everyone's job hunting strategy.
I don't think that's quite right!! I had just got my permanent residency, and owned a home in Calgary! There is a major difference between a foot in the door and using a company as a stepping stone. I believe the words I used were 'foot in the door'??!!

In the UK, over the period of 19 years, I worked for a total of three employers.

I would have remained in the financial services industry had I been able to find an employer who appreciated my skills and experience.

I found working for a small company, which did not invest in it's employees or technology to be very frustrating!!

Last edited by Little D; Sep 25th 2009 at 3:35 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It seems it all depends on the industry you are going into. Some industries, such as aviation and travel don't give a hoot about 'Canadian' experience, it is industry experience that is required (and licensing in some cases). In all the years I have been in Canada I have never come across any firm demanding Canadian experience, nor was I ever turned down for not having it.

Most firms are looking for commitment. If a potential employee goes out and gets Canadianised if it is required, such as upgrading qualifications etc, this shows commitment. What I have seen often is positions advertised requiring the legal right to work in Canada as a prerequisite. Even then applications come from all over, also many saying experience required, being industry experience. I know of people going to utility companies and them paying for training to local standards.

What I have noticed more is some employers searching overseas because they cannot find local labour to fulfill a role.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

mike_aus is an unknown quantity at this point

I am doing exactly the same thing now. I am already in Canada as a visitor, and I already had 3 job interviews. But my situation is a little bit easier - I'm software developer and I expect my future job would fit one of these http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp

I explained to all the employers what I can get work permit in 1 day doing flagpole thing, since HRDSC letter is not required
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

TheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sophiek
Im going in November, I am going for 3months to find a job. I have a PGCE and am told I will have to do further exams in Canada before I can ger a job. i keep hearing so many different answers hence I am going to find out for real when I get there..
Out of interest have you been told by the relevant province this by having your qualifications assessed? I only ask because I am registered with the Ontario College of Teachers and didn't have to do extra credits based on my qualifications but everyone is different.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the insight littled, appreciate it. my fiance currently works for ing direct in australia but unfortunately cant obtain a transfer because their canadian operation isnt a fully owned subsidary ... bloody politics!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:42 am
Just Joined

flem26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Nepotism is a much greater evil over here than it is in the UK.

Best of luck
Amen.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

There is more than nepotism here in canada, I'm not being overtly or cheaply critical but not a single day goes by here in Montreal when one doesn't hear about corruption, favoritism, white colour crime(ponzi schemes....incredible corruption at the municipalities in Montreal...people have earned contracts worth millions of dollars on water meter procurement ....etc etc). The other day on CBC I heard one reporter calling Canada the Nigeria of North America. Quite sad.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And yet this forum is replete with stories of people that had years of experience in the UK in a certain position, unable to find work in Canada due to lack of "Canadian experience".

UK hiring mentality does not exist over here. One needs the bit of paper stating one is qualified to do the job (and that is recognised in Canada), one then needs Canadian experience and, in a perfect world, one then needs to know the person making the hiring decision. Nepotism is a much greater evil over here than it is in the UK.

Best of luck
</IMG>
Old Sep 27th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by adam igbon
I am a British national who wants to live in Canada. I have been three times on vacation and bout a newly condo in 2007.
I have tried for months to try and seek employment from the UK, and it has been quite honestly, a waste of time. So I aim to go in Feb for 6 months to get a job that will have a positive LMO outcome.
I am targeting organisations that have jobs on Job bank as I hope and pray that these should have an idea of what an LMO is and are willing to seek one for the right applicant. I.e. me!!

Has anybody else got any experience of just going to gain employment from any companies that will be willing to go through the LMO process?
First of all, when applying from the UK, employers have no way of knowing if you are legally entitled to work in Canada. People in Canada are having a hard time finding work these days, especially in places such as Ontario. And, having been in Canada since 1987, I can assure you that the Canadian job market is based on who you know and not what you know. Someone on this thread made the comment about Canada being the Nigeria of North America. So true.

Last edited by johnh009; Sep 27th 2009 at 2:48 am.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnh009
Someone on this thread made the comment about Canada being the Nigeria of North America. So true.
Funny enough I have never received an email / letter from a Canadian saying that he is a member of the Royal Family but is struggle to get money out of the country and needs my help and for it I will get a percentage of it. I think comparing Canada to Nigeria is a bit strong!

I also think that the world is full of nepotism and ultimately is not what you know but who you know everywhere (just think about the MPs back home and the way they have behaved recently with expenses {employing family, etc}). That is why we are all "networking" with each other!

Now does anyone want to invest in a scheme that I have just uncovered, just PM me your bank account details along with a scanned copy of your signature.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.