Reload this Page >

Physically finding a job in Canada

Physically finding a job in Canada

Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

flem26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Physically finding a job in Canada

Originally Posted by johnh009
First of all, when applying from the UK, employers have no way of knowing if you are legally entitled to work in Canada. People in Canada are having a hard time finding work these days, especially in places such as Ontario. And, having been in Canada since 1987, I can assure you that the Canadian job market is based on who you know and not what you know. Someone on this thread made the comment about Canada being the Nigeria of North America. So true.
Another amen.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
I think that sometimes you might need to step back and look at your situation and consider if any of the issues you have are really major ones and furthermore if you might actually be contributing to the negatives you are encountering. Negative attracts negative; positive attracts positive.

I am not saying that everyone who has been negative is wrong, but no one likes a winger irrespective of your nationality.

The most important thing to remember is that you didn't emigrate because the UK was so brilliant that you had to force yourself to leave. The fact is an unique financial storm has occurred causing tough times irrespective of if you are in UK or Canada. You need to ride it out and remember why you emigrated in the first place and hopefully when the good times return you will be well positioned to reap the harvest.
I would agree with most of this. I think it is fair to say that people are generally happier in a compnay that is doing well than one that is struggling. Like my own company for example. Especially working in companies that are winding down, this is a terrible situation. However, not everyone emigrates because they are doing badly in the country they live. Some people just have a sense of adventure or other reasons.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

What exactly do you mean by "Nigeria of North America". Nigeria is not known for nepotism - it is known for financial fraud. Whilst accept that it is not the only source of fraud, a lot of fraud originates from there. Are you accusing Canada of fraud or nepotism. One is clearly different to the other.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly do you mean by "Nigeria of North America". Nigeria is not known for nepotism - it is known for financial fraud. Whilst accept that it is not the only source of fraud, a lot of fraud originates from there. Are you accusing Canada of fraud or nepotism. One is clearly different to the other.
Well, clearly he is accusing Canada of both. I can't comment on fraud, but nepotism is definitely rife - they just call it networking to make it sound respectable.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Well, clearly he is accusing Canada of both. I can't comment on fraud, but nepotism is definitely rife - they just call it networking to make it sound respectable.
Chaps

Comparing Canada and Nigeria is totally wrong unless you are suggesting that the former is guilt of widespread corruption which begs the question why are you all either interested in going there or already residing there.

Welcome to the real world of business - every group of people whether it be religious, ethnic, profession, etc all have a certain amount of nepotism towards their own kind. Coming from a Catholic Irish background, I known that other Irish Catholics favour people of a similar background. Is it right? No but it is human nature.

Personally I have always tried to employed the best candidate irrespective of their background but that is the exception not the rule.

Ultimately there is no point in bitching about it; you need to start networking. If you are a member of an institute / organization in England , they may have a branch in Canada or have reciprocal agreements with Canada organizations. You might know someone who is on a social networking site (i.e. Linkin) who you can network with. Alternatively if possible start your own business. I appreciate that it may appear that I am looking through rose tinted glasses but ultimately that is how I view life; the glass is always half full, never half empty!!

Yelkcub
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Chaps

Comparing Canada and Nigeria is totally wrong unless you are suggesting that the former is guilt of widespread corruption which begs the question why are you all either interested in going there or already residing there.

Welcome to the real world of business - every group of people whether it be religious, ethnic, profession, etc all have a certain amount of nepotism towards their own kind. Coming from a Catholic Irish background, I known that other Irish Catholics favour people of a similar background. Is it right? No but it is human nature.

Personally I have always tried to employed the best candidate irrespective of their background but that is the exception not the rule.

Ultimately there is no point in bitching about it; you need to start networking. If you are a member of an institute / organization in England , they may have a branch in Canada or have reciprocal agreements with Canada organizations. You might know someone who is on a social networking site (i.e. Linkin) who you can network with. Alternatively if possible start your own business. I appreciate that it may appear that I am looking through rose tinted glasses but ultimately that is how I view life; the glass is always half full, never half empty!!

Yelkcub
Not me. I can't be bothered with networking, means dealing with people and mostly they are idiots.

(and you are taking the Nigeria comparison a bit too literally - have you been in Canada long?)
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not me. I can't be bothered with networking, means dealing with people and mostly they are idiots.

(and you are taking the Nigeria comparison a bit too literally - have you been in Canada long?)
If people are idiots and you don't network, why are you "networking" on this forum with people {i.e. idiots}?

It's not the reference to Canada that is the issue, it Nigeria. Having worked there and with Nigerians in UK the Canadians are in a different league. They are hard working, honest people who don't look to fleece you at any opportunity.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:30 pm

If people are idiots and you don't network, why are you "networking" on this forum with people {i.e. idiots}?
I don't personally equate posting anonymously on a web forum to networking.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't personally equate posting anonymously on a web forum to networking.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that - in my opinion if you are using this forum correctly you can find people with similar backgrounds and polite enquire if they have any leads - I have been able to do it with much success and would be happy to help others. Hence the "networking" reference.

Even if you don't see it as networking you are have a discussion with "people" which is one of your other pet hates that you have listed - why not just stick your head in a tree and then you don't have to deal with other people.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

if you are using this forum correctly
What would that be, exactly?

I think 99.8% of us are in trouble then ....
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ann m
What would that be, exactly?

I think 99.8% of us are in trouble then ....
Luckly I am in the 0.2% then!

Perhaps "correctly" is the wrong word! How about you "in my opinion you can use this forum to find people with similar backgrounds and polite enquire if they have any leads"
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:58 pm

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that - in my opinion if you are using this forum correctly you can find people with similar backgrounds and polite enquire if they have any leads - I have been able to do it with much success and would be happy to help others. Hence the "networking" reference.

Even if you don't see it as networking you are have a discussion with "people" which is one of your other pet hates that you have listed - why not just stick your head in a tree and then you don't have to deal with other people.
"networking" is social interaction with a purpose. I don't like interacting with people who have a 'what can you do for me' attitude, however good they are at concealing it.

Edit: And I use this forum for fun

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 13th 2009 at 11:01 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

"networking" is social interaction with a purpose. I don't like interacting with people who have a 'what can you do for me' attitude, however good they are at concealing it.

Edit: And I use this forum for fun
Alan

Everything is done for a purpose; even your postings have a purpose......

You don't have to have a 'what can you do for me' attitude to networker. Any relationship requires a mutual benefit otherwise the used party becomes frustrated and bitter. Is this what happen, did a network use and abuse you.

If you use this forum for fun, you need to get out more.

Last edited by Yelkcub; Oct 13th 2009 at 11:15 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:14 pm

Well, I would love to, but I have to earn a living.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:17 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Alan

Everything is done for a purpose; even your postings have a purpose......

You don't have to have a 'what can you do for me' attitude to networker. Any relationship requires a mutual benefit otherwise the used party becomes frustrated and bitter. Is this what happen, did a network use and abuse you.

Are you a new age spiritualist preacher or something........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.