Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Physically finding a job in Canada

Physically finding a job in Canada

Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Physically finding a job in Canada

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Funny enough I have never received an email / letter from a Canadian saying that he is a member of the Royal Family but is struggle to get money out of the country and needs my help and for it I will get a percentage of it. I think comparing Canada to Nigeria is a bit strong!

I also think that the world is full of nepotism and ultimately is not what you know but who you know everywhere (just think about the MPs back home and the way they have behaved recently with expenses {employing family, etc}). That is why we are all "networking" with each other!

Now does anyone want to invest in a scheme that I have just uncovered, just PM me your bank account details along with a scanned copy of your signature.......
lol I would have.. but then I stumbled over how to get a diploma w/o going to school.. and got distracted..sorry

on a more serious note: if you look into coming to Canada on a longer (tourist) visa to look for job possibilities anyway.. look first into the different Provincial Nominees Programs. If your set of skills is employable in the province, you might have a chance via those programs. I only know for sure for Manitoba...if you really want to stay in MB and show effort and doing an exploratory visit (approved by the province) ..there is hope..and with hope might come an open wp while waiting for PR.

cheers
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And yet this forum is replete with stories of people that had years of experience in the UK in a certain position, unable to find work in Canada due to lack of "Canadian experience".

UK hiring mentality does not exist over here. One needs the bit of paper stating one is qualified to do the job (and that is recognised in Canada), one then needs Canadian experience and, in a perfect world, one then needs to know the person making the hiring decision. Nepotism is a much greater evil over here than it is in the UK.

Best of luck
The term "Canadian experience" is misused. Years ago, immigrants who came to Canada would often return to their homeland because of the harsh winters. As a result, employers would want someone who had spent at least one winter here, therefore, they had gained "Canadian experience". Now, the term it is used for job protectionism.

Canadian employers tend to use "situtional based" interviewing methods asking "what would you do if........". As a result, anyone can say anything and the job usually goes to the biggest bullshitter and not the most qualified. It is interesting note that at a Canadian interview, the interviewers are usually reading from cue cards and if you cannot guess the answer that they require, then you are screwed. As a result, they end up hiring the wrong person. Notice how many of the same jobs you see being advertised every six months.

It is not only newcomers who have this problem, I have been in Canada for 22 years and still have trouble relating to this mentality.

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 12th 2009 at 3:46 am.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:34 am
Just Joined

noname is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Funny enough I have never received an email / letter from a Canadian saying that he is a member of the Royal Family but is struggle to get money out of the country and needs my help and for it I will get a percentage of it. I think comparing Canada to Nigeria is a bit strong!

I also think that the world is full of nepotism and ultimately is not what you know but who you know everywhere (just think about the MPs back home and the way they have behaved recently with expenses {employing family, etc}). That is why we are all "networking" with each other!

Now does anyone want to invest in a scheme that I have just uncovered, just PM me your bank account details along with a scanned copy of your signature.......
What as email/letter got to do with this thread. All countries have criminal elements, Canadians or Nigerians. Greed is the key with this sort of crime. People should learn not to reap were they have not sowed! Galatians 6:7.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

As John009 points out about interviews, this is why both Canada and the UK are rubbish at employing personnel and staff, the hurdles they put out are actually easy if you are a good bulls*****r! I have never been one for "bumping my own gums" and have been proven time and time again by delivering fantastic results on near impossible time scales!
But ask me to put it on a resume and tell you in an interview, well that I find difficult!
Networking is the secret! and that is the hardest part from the UK. I intend to cold call and visit but I have to admit I am dreading picking up the phone and cold calling someone! But the things we do!
I am surprised there is not much networking on here
I am also surprised that there is not much in the way of information, links etc on how users can get Canadian recognized qualifications to help bump up there resume? I know of loads that are UK recognized and I assume that there are Canadian ones on the internet as well? Again this may be because of users reluctance to network on here? or its my nature to "share the wealth" attitude that I see less and less of in my peers nowerdays!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by noname
People should learn not to reap were they have not sowed! Galatians 6:7.
Ooooh nice quote!

I prefer Mrs Dinger24 " dont do as I do do as I say"
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:55 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
Ooooh nice quote!

I prefer Mrs Dinger24 " dont do as I do do as I say"
Mrs El_Richo can often be heard reminding me, "What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine".
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by noname
What as email/letter got to do with this thread. All countries have criminal elements, Canadians or Nigerians. Greed is the key with this sort of crime. People should learn not to reap were they have not sowed! Galatians 6:7.
My point was that I consistent receive emails /letters from sources in Nigeria and none from Canada which are clearly fraudulent. Agreed all societies have criminal elements; some more than others and it is nothing to do with their ethnic background so please don't place the racist card. Next you will be complaining if someone said a lot of pirates come from Somalia would this be untrue as it is a statement about a particular nationality?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dinger24
As John009 points out about interviews, this is why both Canada and the UK are rubbish at employing personnel and staff, the hurdles they put out are actually easy if you are a good bulls*****r! I have never been one for "bumping my own gums" and have been proven time and time again by delivering fantastic results on near impossible time scales!
But ask me to put it on a resume and tell you in an interview, well that I find difficult!
The interviewing process also favours job hoppers because it is they who get the most practice.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
The term "Canadian experience" is misused. Years ago, immigrants who came to Canada would often return to their homeland because of the harsh winters. As a result, employers would want someone who had spent at least one winter here, therefore, they had gained "Canadian experience". Now, the term it is used for job protectionism.

Canadian employers tend to use "situtional based" interviewing methods asking "what would you do if........". As a result, anyone can say anything and the job usually goes to the biggest bullshitter and not the most qualified. It is interesting note that at a Canadian interview, the interviewers are usually reading from cue cards and if you cannot guess the answer that they require, then you are screwed. As a result, they end up hiring the wrong person. Notice how many of the same jobs you see being advertised every six months.

It is not only newcomers who have this problem, I have been in Canada for 22 years and still have trouble relating to this mentality.
I have never been interviewed by anyone reading from cue-cards, here or in the UK, but then, I never wanted to work for Jackanory!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It seems it all depends on the industry you are going into. Some industries, such as aviation and travel don't give a hoot about 'Canadian' experience, it is industry experience that is required (and licensing in some cases). In all the years I have been in Canada I have never come across any firm demanding Canadian experience, nor was I ever turned down for not having it.

Most firms are looking for commitment. If a potential employee goes out and gets Canadianised if it is required, such as upgrading qualifications etc, this shows commitment. What I have seen often is positions advertised requiring the legal right to work in Canada as a prerequisite. Even then applications come from all over, also many saying experience required, being industry experience. I know of people going to utility companies and them paying for training to local standards.

What I have noticed more is some employers searching overseas because they cannot find local labour to fulfill a role.
This has also been my experience in the engineering industry. In fact, my company, actually values UK qualifications and experience. However, I can see that in some jobs, maybe such as accounting, where Canadian practices are different, some Canadian experience may help but a good candidate should be able to adapt.

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 12th 2009 at 5:04 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little D
In the UK, over the period of 19 years, I worked for a total of three employers.

I would have remained in the financial services industry had I been able to find an employer who appreciated my skills and experience.
I have the same issue- not one of my employers since I have come to Canada has appreciated my skills- they all considered me a threat, and so my career has gone seriously backwards since I cam e here in 2002-am now applying for jobs in UK as well, cos to be honest there is only so much kicking in the teeth from folk who have no freaking clue, you can take.

I have had more jobs in Canada in my 7 years of being here than the 1 I had in UK for 20 years!
Good Luck in your new job!!

Last edited by shelley748; Oct 12th 2009 at 7:34 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shelley748
I have the same issue- not one of my employers since I have come to Canada has appreciated my skills- they all considered me a threat, and so my career has gone seriously backwards since I cam e here in 2002-am now applying for jobs in UK as well, cos to be honest there is only so much kicking in the teeth from folk who have no freaking clue, you can take.

I have had more jobs in Canada in my 7 years of being here than the 1 I had in UK for 20 years!
Good Luck in your new job!!
I can remember a time when managers/supervisors cared about the people who worked for them. Now, these are the people most likely to stab you.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I can remember a time when managers/supervisors cared about the people who worked for them. Now, these are the people most likely to stab you.
exactly.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think the days of stabbing you in the back are here now and are in all industries where ever you are!
I think it is sad that management cant see the team effort and terms like teamwork and and mucking in are being replaced by terms like self motivated and individuals these words are referring to a person so people act like an individual and not as a team!
You can see this daily in the UK, the way people are in the streets, the way people drive. Job networking is about sharing your knowledge and contacts etc but this is getting lost with the think of my self attitude!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

I think that sometimes you might need to step back and look at your situation and consider if any of the issues you have are really major ones and furthermore if you might actually be contributing to the negatives you are encountering. Negative attracts negative; positive attracts positive.

I am not saying that everyone who has been negative is wrong, but no one likes a winger irrespective of your nationality.

The most important thing to remember is that you didn't emigrate because the UK was so brilliant that you had to force yourself to leave. The fact is an unique financial storm has occurred causing tough times irrespective of if you are in UK or Canada. You need to ride it out and remember why you emigrated in the first place and hopefully when the good times return you will be well positioned to reap the harvest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.