Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Physically finding a job in Canada

Physically finding a job in Canada

Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice
Default Re: Physically finding a job in Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Well, I would love to, but I have to earn a living.
There are all sorts of activities you can do which are FREE that are more fun than typing on a forum.

Do you need to talk about your bad Networking experiences? If you can, speak to a friend and they might be able to cleanse your soul and allow you to Network again. Go on, you might even enjoy it!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Are you a new age spiritualist preacher or something........
Hmmm.Let me think about that........

What is the "or something" option?

Last edited by Yelkcub; Oct 13th 2009 at 11:26 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Chaps

Comparing Canada and Nigeria is totally wrong unless you are suggesting that the former is guilt of widespread corruption which begs the question why are you all either interested in going there or already residing there.

Welcome to the real world of business - every group of people whether it be religious, ethnic, profession, etc all have a certain amount of nepotism towards their own kind. Coming from a Catholic Irish background, I known that other Irish Catholics favour people of a similar background. Is it right? No but it is human nature.

Personally I have always tried to employed the best candidate irrespective of their background but that is the exception not the rule.

Ultimately there is no point in bitching about it; you need to start networking. If you are a member of an institute / organization in England , they may have a branch in Canada or have reciprocal agreements with Canada organizations. You might know someone who is on a social networking site (i.e. Linkin) who you can network with. Alternatively if possible start your own business. I appreciate that it may appear that I am looking through rose tinted glasses but ultimately that is how I view life; the glass is always half full, never half empty!!

Yelkcub
Networking is great, if you are a qualified professional, i.e. doctor, lawyer, IT, accountant etc, and have and probably always will work in that one field. However, if like me, your work experience is more varied (long story), then there isn't necessarily a straightforward 'tick box' for you in terms of networking.

I've rapidly reached the conclusion that I don't tick the employer's 'tick boxes', despite my varied experience and some unique skills. Operating my own business, is going to be the only way forward professionally for me here.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brizzle
I've rapidly reached the conclusion that I don't tick the employer's 'tick boxes', despite my varied experience and some unique skills. Operating my own business, is going to be the only way forward professionally for me here.
Good on you. If you give it a go and it works, you'll never look back.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

new age spiritualist preacher or something

Hmmm.Let me think about that........

What is the "or something" option?
Can I be both?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

There are all sorts of activities you can do which are FREE that are more fun than typing on a forum.

Do you need to talk about your bad Networking experiences? If you can, speak to a friend and they might be able to cleanse your soul and allow you to Network again. Go on, you might even enjoy it!
You miss my point, I post from work (mainly).

I've not had any networking experiences, let alone bad ones. The whole concept of having to speak to people you've never met in the expectation you'll get something from them leaves me cold.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

You miss my point, I post from work (mainly).

I've not had any networking experiences, let alone bad ones. The whole concept of having to speak to people you've never met in the expectation you'll get something from them leaves me cold.
Oh you are saying that you post on here because what you do for work isn't fun. Have you thought about a career change? Life is short to be miserable at work and you are there a majority of the time you are awake!

It you wear a coat when you network you might not feel so sold.

Last edited by Yelkcub; Oct 14th 2009 at 9:31 am.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you are saying that you post on here because what you do for work isn't fun. Have you thought about a career change? Life is short to be miserable at work and you are there a majority of the time you are awake!

It you wear a coat when you network you might not feel so sold.
Actually, I mainly do enjoy my work, and even if I didn't I wouldn't leave as I quite like the pay.

You are implying that you actually enjoy reptilian schmoozing with people you don't know in the hope you can get something out of them. That's fine, each to their own, but it's not for me (I actually suspect that most people hate doing it and see it as a necessary evil to get along here)
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually, I mainly do enjoy my work, and even if I didn't I wouldn't leave as I quite like the pay.

You are implying that you actually enjoy reptilian schmoozing with people you don't know in the hope you can get something out of them. That's fine, each to their own, but it's not for me (I actually suspect that most people hate doing it and see it as a necessary evil to get along here)
Alan

Sounds like you are a slave to the wage to me. Obviously not happy with your employment but only do it for the money.

Once again, I would repeat my previous post; you don't have to have a 'what can you do for me' attitude to network. Any relationship requires a mutual benefit otherwise the used party becomes frustrated and bitter and the relationship ends. Is this what happen, did a networker use and abuse you. It would explain the bitterness that appears to be eating you up. You need to let it go or it might destroy you. Have you considered councilling.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:40 pm

Alan

Sounds like you are a slave to the wage to me. Obviously not happy with your employment but only do it for the money.

Once again, I would repeat my previous post; you don't have to have a 'what can you do for me' attitude to network. Any relationship requires a mutual benefit otherwise the used party becomes frustrated and bitter and the relationship ends. Is this what happen, did a networker use and abuse you. It would explain the bitterness that appears to be eating you up. You need to let it go or it might destroy you. Have you considered councilling.
What's with the cosmo psychology - do you spend all day watching sex in the city for tips on the human psyche?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Surely the point of networking is to see if you can help out another, this is not only a work point but should be applied to all aspects of your daily living. For example I know a good beer have you tried this? is also a type of networking, or dont use this company as they knackered my roofing tiles, would be a form of networking. To run your own buisness and not use networking would IMO hinder that line of buisness. As an example going to a local bar because you know that so and so drinks there and get an introduction as they may need your type of buisness is networking. Networking is not only lawyer to lawyer or doctor to doctor, such blinkered attitude could lead to a potential loss of revenue!
Assisting your peers - you may do this for your own gain but I think that would be the wrong attitude and I personally would network on the principle that I may recieve no more payment than a thank you and maybe a possible friend gained!
Many people get networking so confused and label it as simply a*** licking for self benefit! many of these people are of course self indulgent, ignorant, arrogant and lack decent personal skills (although I am sure none of yous would fit that description)
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by dinger24
Surely the point of networking is to see if you can help out another, this is not only a work point but should be applied to all aspects of your daily living. For example I know a good beer have you tried this? is also a type of networking, or dont use this company as they knackered my roofing tiles, would be a form of networking. To run your own buisness and not use networking would IMO hinder that line of buisness. As an example going to a local bar because you know that so and so drinks there and get an introduction as they may need your type of buisness is networking. Networking is not only lawyer to lawyer or doctor to doctor, such blinkered attitude could lead to a potential loss of revenue!
Assisting your peers - you may do this for your own gain but I think that would be the wrong attitude and I personally would network on the principle that I may recieve no more payment than a thank you and maybe a possible friend gained!
Many people get networking so confused and label it as simply a*** licking for self benefit! many of these people are of course self indulgent, ignorant, arrogant and lack decent personal skills (although I am sure none of yous would fit that description)
It is arse licking for it's own end - in the specific context of finding a job how can it not be?

(and simply calling everyday life 'networking' doesn't make it so)
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Everyone has opinions and views!
If people network for any other gain than a thank you they will surely end up disappointed more often than not, in fact I would tend to say that even a thank you is becoming much more rare! So I only network for free!
Well thank you for your opinion
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

What's with the cosmo psychology - do you spend all day watching sex in the city for tips on the human psyche?
Alan

You really need to talk to someone about your issues - do you have any friends you might be able to talk to?

Y
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:16 pm

Alan

You really need to talk to someone about your issues - do you have any friends you might be able to talk to?

Y
Yawn... are you stuck on some kind of loop or something? You must get tired of repeating yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.