Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Oh My God!!!!!!!

Oh My God!!!!!!!

Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:20 pm
Dreaming of Tim Hortons!

wotowoto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh My God!!!!!!!

Bring on the timbits and the double double!!! OOH! I Can taste them now!!

As for any worries about going to saskatoon, i really wouldn't worry. We are going to Ontario hopefully, but if it means settling in Canada, then anywhere is fine as far as i'm concerned. When we drove back from manchester to the Midlands last summer after a fortnight in ontario, we too noticed the difference between the 2 countries. It took a few weeks to get over the depression. We were on a downer with the UK for months. I went there for a job recce in January, and wow!! i had forgot what real snow was like, and how much fun the kids have. I went for a walk in -18, and after 3 miles or so i realised that my legs had gone numb!! I wondered why people were staring at me!! Probably cause i had jeans and a fleece on!! Soon warmed up with a double double though!!

Be prepared for a rollercoaster ride, and remember that its worth it in the end.

Best of luck!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:29 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by purple80
update:

We are home, and bloody miserable...

We loved Canada, driving back from Manchester was grim, even the children noticed stuff, how dirty and littered the UK is. I am very surprised at how strongly I feel about things have spent a fair amount of time abroad and seen a lot of things, I was always proud to be British and could never imagine wanting to live in another country.... I CAN NOW!

Chris received an email today asking if he was still in Canada as the company that flew him to Montreal would like to do a second interview (woo how), he is going to email them and say that he is back in the UK, but willing to fly back again, or something.

We flew home on the tuesday night flight from Toronto, and they had the first flurries of snow that night (gutted), both Chris and I are Timmie addicts, we starting to suffer from double double withdrawl, my hips won't be missing the timbits though.

All in all it was an absolutely awesome trip, that has definitely made our minds up. Canada here we come, once jobs are secured and done the whole paperwork thing, easy peasy really.

Charlie
Glad to hear you arrived back home, sorry you are so depressed...I felt like crying on the way home from the airport on our reccie in June so I totally understand.

Sounds very promising for Chris's job...keep us posted
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

I can totally relate to how you must all be feeling.....I cry every time we come back from Canada, (much to the embarrasment of my family cos I cry on the plane ride over from Comox, which is a fun low level flight, during our stopover at the terminal at Vancouver and then on the international flight, absolutely miserable all the way back ), and am then solidly depressed for about 3 weeks before recovering sufficiently to carry on with English life.

How great that the company want to see Chris for a second interview, even if it's SK, it's still a way to get in and to get Canadian work experience. good luck to Chris, and I hope you all recover from the Canada blues quicker than I do!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
I can totally relate to how you must all be feeling.....I cry every time we come back from Canada, (much to the embarrasment of my family cos I cry on the plane ride over from Comox, which is a fun low level flight, during our stopover at the terminal at Vancouver and then on the international flight, absolutely miserable all the way back ), and am then solidly depressed for about 3 weeks before recovering sufficiently to carry on with English life.

How great that the company want to see Chris for a second interview, even if it's SK, it's still a way to get in and to get Canadian work experience. good luck to Chris, and I hope you all recover from the Canada blues quicker than I do!
Ahem! Would you like to explain yourself madam?????

SK is actually a beautiful place!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:31 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks All,
To be honest SK is fine with me, I don't really care where we end up just so long as it's in Canada. We don't want to narrow our options by setting to short a list of locations. Although originally that was something we had said, Ontario was going to be the area.

At the end of the day, we want in, if we seriously didn't like SK, we would stay 3 years, get Chris his Canadian work experience and then move. We have lived in Oswestry for 5+ years and I have hated every second. When we moved here I knew no one, although Chris did as it was his old home town, if I managed here I think I stand a fair chance anywhere else.

Will update when there is more news, got my fingers crossed, hard to bloody type though.

Charlie
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Alvic

Hey Alison,
I am sure it is all that I meant was that we had always wanted to go to Ontario, we knew nothing about SK.... We have spent the last week learning, honest, .We were looking at you tube clips tonight, of the blizzard in January this year...

Can't wait to get to SK now!!!! But it's early days yet, Chris hasn't got the job yet, but I really hope he does..

Bet your glad your LMO is through.

Just read the post again and realised it's Robin in trouble not me....

Charlie

Last edited by purple80; Nov 8th 2007 at 10:36 pm. Reason: I'm daft
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:39 pm

Hey Alison,
I am sure it is all that I meant was that we had always wanted to go to Ontario, we knew nothing about SK.... We have spent the last week learning, honest, .We were looking at you tube clips tonight, of the blizzard in January this year...

Can't wait to get to SK now!!!! But it's early days yet, Chris hasn't got the job yet, but I really hope he does..

Charlie
Yeah!!!It's Robin thats in trouble...have you your eyes and fingers crossed.

But there is also some lovely You Tube videoes of SK too!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:45 pm

I have absolutely everything crossed.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

NETTY07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Alison,

Charlie
what job is Chris going for ? My hubby is off on 23rd Nov to Sk till 24th Dec then we are all flying out first week of Jan then our new life starts for real !!!!! How excited are we !!!!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by NETTY07
what job is Chris going for ? My hubby is off on 23rd Nov to Sk till 24th Dec then we are all flying out first week of Jan then our new life starts for real !!!!! How excited are we !!!!
Gosh, bet your are really excited......

Chris is going for Project Engineer.... He's just been on the phone company want to set up 2nd interview, by phone next week.

We are now crapping ourselves, this is all going way to fast, we only came back from our first recce 2 days ago, Chris's first interview in Montreal was one week ago, and suddenly we are up to second interview and the real possibility of this happening very very soon.

When we were in Canada we took the kids to Wonderland, they made me go on some horrible roller coasters, but nothing was as bad as this, talk about major heart failure.

Calm down, reality check................Breathe deeply

PANIC

Of course nothing may come of this, but I really am immensely proud of my OH, just don't tell him that, have to keep up appearance of a naggy wife.

Will update after second interview........Unless heart gives out.

Charlie
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:10 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, bet your are really excited......

Chris is going for Project Engineer.... He's just been on the phone company want to set up 2nd interview, by phone next week.

We are now crapping ourselves, this is all going way to fast, we only came back from our first recce 2 days ago, Chris's first interview in Montreal was one week ago, and suddenly we are up to second interview and the real possibility of this happening very very soon.

When we were in Canada we took the kids to Wonderland, they made me go on some horrible roller coasters, but nothing was as bad as this, talk about major heart failure.

Calm down, reality check................Breathe deeply

PANIC

Of course nothing may come of this, but I really am immensely proud of my OH, just don't tell him that, have to keep up appearance of a naggy wife.

Will update after second interview........Unless heart gives out.

Charlie

Hey purple,
I know where your at, Its the "we could do this. This might actually be a goer", point. How surreal is that!!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:37 pm

Hey Twinkles,
Surreal is the understatement of the year, have spent the afternoon panicing because you can't fly to Saskatoon direct!
Never mind all just hurdles.
Charlie
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:40 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Twinkles,
Surreal is the understatement of the year, have spent the afternoon panicing because you can't fly to Saskatoon direct!
Never mind all just hurdles.
Charlie

My hubby (whose Canadian) tells me that you can only get to Saskatoon by stagecoach.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alvic

Oh no! I didn't mean it like that! I meant that Charlie had done alot of research on Ontario and SK wasn't even on the agenda, that's all. Please forgive me??? I've never been anywhere other than BC in Canada so how could I be offer judgement on any other Province, even if I had it would be subjective and not worth it's weight to anyone else.
Please don't take offence Alvic........
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by twinkles
My hubby (whose Canadian) tells me that you can only get to Saskatoon by stagecoach.
Ha Ha, have to admit I was starting to get that impression....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.