Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I hate Toronto

I hate Toronto

Old May 13th 2011, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate Toronto

Originally Posted by iaink
I came to that conclusion in about 2 days... just too many people for me. Nice to visit occasionally. Nicer to get back to my backwater afterwards. YMMV.
If it was not for the Airport, would never go near the bloody place........In Toronto things are not as bad as they seem......they are worse.....

Last edited by macadian; May 13th 2011 at 1:46 am.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jameswales
There we go, it's out there. Couldn't keep it in any longer.

What an awful place! Busy, expensive with rude natives. All of the touted attractions were a let down, aside from the ferry back to Billy Bishop, that was great, as I was delighted to be getting out of that hell-hole after two weeks touring the city with work.

Would rather move back to the UK and go and live in Birmingham or Bradistan.

Rant over!
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but either you're trolling, you don't live in Canada, or you are from Bradistan (wherever that is).

I'd be interested to find out what the "touted attractions" you visited might have been.

Did you try the Shoe Museum?
Old May 13th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

What an awful place! Busy, expensive with rude natives. All of the touted attractions were a let down, aside from the ferry back to Billy Bishop, that was great, as I was delighted to be getting out of that hell-hole after two weeks touring the city with work.

Rant over!
Each to their own.
I was thinking the other day that there's such much diversity here and so many things to do it's incredible. On Sunday I went for a fab bike ride in the Beaches and then on Tuesday I went out to the charming town of Kleinburg just outside of TO to see the McMichael Collection of Canadian Art. Really, anyone interested in art has GOT to see the G7 ... amazing.
Again, each to their own.
Old May 13th 2011, 3:19 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Bradistan (wherever that is)

Bradi: (Bradford) a town in the north of England

Stan: (Paki) as in Pakistan

I think the OP had a culture shock, a multi culture shock....

Im with London Mike on this one, Toronto is the perfect mix of races and culture. The food for example in the Greek town, (Danforth) is the best around, and not that pricey either. The PATH is cool, and Gretskies Steak bar, well best steaks ever.

King Street West has all the Mervish shows and the Railway children play is in town, including a real choo choo. May have to go see that one, the OH most fav film ever.

The list is of stuff to do is endless.

Last edited by magnumpi; May 13th 2011 at 3:22 am.
Old May 13th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Loving a place (or not) all depends on what suits you.

I'm sure people love Toronto and the GTA, but the impression I get is it's not the place for me. If we go we're looking at towns around Calgary. I've been out there with the family and we love it, but there will be other people who hate it.

Cheers

Chris
Old May 13th 2011, 10:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisparr
Loving a place (or not) all depends on what suits you.

I'm sure people love Toronto and the GTA, but the impression I get is it's not the place for me. If we go we're looking at towns around Calgary. I've been out there with the family and we love it, but there will be other people who hate it.

Cheers

Chris
Surely no one loves the GTA. I can see liking Toronto but the GTA is just the tangle of motorways, industry estates and tract housing sprawling out from it. Slough for mile upon mile.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

I came to that conclusion in about 2 days... just too many people for me. Nice to visit occasionally. Nicer to get back to my backwater afterwards. YMMV.
Trouble is, when I moved to Toronto in 1987, many places that were backwaters are now urban sprawl. On the bright side, you will make a nice profit on your house. I think it will be a few decades before your area becomes over-developed though.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
... Slough for mile upon mile.
Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough,
It isn't fit for humans now.
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Cheerful enough for ya?!
Old May 13th 2011, 11:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Swarm over, Death!

Cheerful enough for ya?!
If only Betjeman had seen Brampton or Burlington.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Swarm over, Death!

Cheerful enough for ya?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVr6rFXJg88

This is quite funny
Old May 13th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

dubbed is an unknown quantity at this point

Rant over!
Did you try the 400 northbound? That is particularly nice.
Old May 13th 2011, 12:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Trouble is, when I moved to Toronto in 1987, many places that were backwaters are now urban sprawl. On the bright side, you will make a nice profit on your house. I think it will be a few decades before your area becomes over-developed though.
The town itself is sprouting subdivisions like crazy already. Fortunatley for me Im out in the sticks some, but already 3 of my immediate neighbours either work in the GTA (or Oshawa) and commute from here () or weekend here. There are quite a few others on the street who sold up entirely and moved out here. Fortunately for the long tern its hard to build on a river, so the population density should stay OK

Last edited by iaink; May 13th 2011 at 12:56 pm.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately for the long tern its hard to build on a river, so the population density should stay OK
How true, the population density in London, England is bearable due to the Thames
Old May 13th 2011, 1:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How true, the population density in London, England is bearable due to the Thames
They forgot to make it a conservation area, here you cant fart by the river without permits in triplicate, lord knows what kind of incriminating pictures you would need to obtain if you actually wanted to build something there

Last edited by iaink; May 13th 2011 at 1:37 pm.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

"Toronto ranks number 2 in the world as a city of opportunity, according to a new report from PriceWaterhouseCoopers.

Trumped by New York City, Toronto stood out among the world's "metro powerhouses" in the areas of finance, tourism, livability and innovation - and was the only Canadian city to make the cut."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2020962/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.