Reload this Page >

Comparing wages to cost of living

Comparing wages to cost of living

Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:09 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Comparing wages to cost of living

Originally Posted by iaink
Many cradles inherit paid of houses is my pet theory,
I don't know of any cradles (as you put it) who inherited paid off houses.

All that I know bought and paid for their own.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:10 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I must not be savvy then because I don't understand how an income of $50-60k translates to toys in the garage and trips in the summer without unsustainable debt levels.
Debt springs to mind
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:11 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I don't know of any cradles (as you put it) who inherited paid off houses.

All that I know bought and paid for their own.
They must all be up to their necks in debt then.... I cant afford a boat and an RV and an ATV Well, I could, but not kids too
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:13 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

They must all be up to their necks in debt then.... I cant afford a boat and an RV and an ATV Well, I could, but not kids too
It's a few months old but.....

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...y-debt-110217/
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I must not be savvy then because I don't understand how an income of $50-60k translates to toys in the garage and trips in the summer without unsustainable debt levels.
I would go along with your debt theory on this. Of course some can afford to pay $30k cash for a trailer but they won't be earning $60k.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:19 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Most peoples mortgage will be more than $100k wont it? Its not really clear how much of that is unsecured consumer debt.

It does seem the middle class has made this huge shift from "save and then spend" 30 years ago to "stick it on a card and dont think about it" now. Its not for me.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:19 am

A lot purchased their homes when prices were a lot less than they are today.

We purchased our home in 1987 for $107,000, today it's worth something in the neighbouhood of $425,000.

If we had purchased a home back in 1971 just before I was laid off by Shell Canada we would have paid about $25,000 for it. Had that happened we too might have had lots of money for toys.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:20 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Is this the appropriate moment to broach the topic of cheese expenditure in Canada?
She mentioned the C word.... burn her !
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

A lot purchased their homes when prices were a lot less than they are today.

We purchased our home in 1987 for $107,000, today it's worth something in the neighbouhood of $425,000.

If we had purchased a home back in 1971 just before I was laid off by Shell Canada we would have paid about $25,000 for it. Had that happened we too might have had lots of money for toys.
Im not sure...my mortgage payment commitment is only $450 a month before the property taxes... being debt free on the house would be nice, but it wouldnt have me building a garage to house all the toys overnight... and as I said, it appears that I am distinctly median in my income...

To be honest thats $450 a month that would responsibly go towards RRSPs and kids education funds, I doubt I would see any of it when the day comes.

Just as well I have no need of all those silly boys toys anyway I guess.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 9th 2011 at 7:31 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:28 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure...my mortgage payment commitment is only $450 a month before the property taxes... being debt free on the house would be nice, but it wouldnt have me building a garage to house all the toys overnight... and as I said, it appears that I am distinctly median in my income...
+1 almost identical. It would make things easier but there wouldn't be a sudden inflow of skidoos, atvs and such like.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:31 am

But lets assume a person might have a $20,000 mortgage on a home back in 1971 the interest rate about 4% or less fixed for the full 25 years that's a monthly payment of approximately $100 per month without taxes. Salaries increased significantly leaving those people with many years of minimal payments and tons of spare cash.

In addition some of those if not most of those home owners were dual income, even more spare cash to spend on cabins, motor homes, boats, you name it.

It's not the same as your situation of just paying the mortgage off today and having an extra $450 per month.

Last edited by Steve_P; Sep 9th 2011 at 7:38 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:39 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

But lets assume you might have a $20,000 mortgage on a home back in 1971 the interest rate about 4% or less fixed for the full 25 years. Those payments would be minimal. Salaries increased significantly leaving those people with many years of minimal payments and tons of spare cash.

In addition some of those if not most of those home owners were dual income, even more spare cash to spend on cabins, motor homes, boats, you name it.

It's not the same as your situation of just paying the mortgage off today and having an extra $450 per month.
I suppose that makes some sense, but Im not sure the salary mushrooming was entirely property related was it? Calgary has always had that Boom/ Bust cycle going on as I understand it. In the booms people earn more, right? Doesnt apply to me our here anyway, cant see me getting sudden raise.

As for a second income, obviously it makes a world of difference, although one of the attractions of canada for me is that with small kids we could afford for their mom to stay home and spend the time with them in their early years on my salary. Now they are a bit older shes off driving the bus and hopefully there will be a little extra for the bonus things in life.

I dont get how the average joe my age, with kids and a regular blue collar job can afford his toys without some serious debt...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Im not a cheese snob, I got a (500g?) lump of very fine 4 year old maple dale from "No frills" for $3 (plus applicable taxes)
$3? Wow.

Taxes on food?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by BristolUK
$3? Wow.

Taxes on food?
Probably not on that, with hindsite.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:42 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

But lets assume a person might have a $20,000 mortgage on a home back in 1971 the interest rate about 4% or less fixed for the full 25 years that's a monthly payment of approximately $100 per month without taxes. Salaries increased significantly leaving those people with many years of minimal payments and tons of spare cash.

As somebody who had a mortgage in 1971, I'd like to point out that £20,000 would have bought you a very swanky house. I bought my first flat, in London, in 1971 for £7,300. My mortgage was £6,700. I sold it 13 years later for £75,000, by which time my mortgage payments were £20 a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.