Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparing wages to cost of living

Wikiposts

Comparing wages to cost of living

Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:12 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing wages to cost of living

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Bullshit.

So if you move to an area with a school and a few years later the school board decides to close it. You think the parents should be responsible for bussing to the new school?

You would also penalize parents who move into newer neighborhoods because they are more affordable but don't yet have schools?

I don't think I want to live in your world, it sounds a lot like something the Wild Rose Alliance would dream up.
+1

Or those that don't get ill, pay less for healthcare ?!?!? It's a slippery slope.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Bussing makes too much sense to do anything to discourage it. You get cars off the steets, the parents dont have to match their work hours to school hours and potentially trail three or more kids to three different schools spread over ten square miles depending on the age spread.

Hell, why not just go the whole hog and let those without kids at all pay lower taxes and load all the cost of schooling on those with school age kids...
When did I say that I agreed that the parents should pay for the bussing or the lunchtime supervision? What I was arguing for was that, if the supervision fees should be paid, everyone should pay them, that there should not be an exception for those that are bussed. Do you disagree with that?

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 9th 2011 at 5:39 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Bullshit.

So if you move to an area with a school and a few years later the school board decides to close it. You think the parents should be responsible for bussing to the new school?

You would also penalize parents who move into newer neighborhoods because they are more affordable but don't yet have schools?

I don't think I want to live in your world, it sounds a lot like something the Wild Rose Alliance would dream up.
Where have I stated that I agree that parents should pay for lunchtime supervision or for the bus? The world that Iaink lives in sounds ideal to me, but that is not the world in which Calgarians live.

My position stemmed from the bus and/or supervision fees. I stand by it.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tangram
+1

Or those that don't get ill, pay less for healthcare ?!?!? It's a slippery slope.
Sigh. In Calgary, lunchtime supervision and or taking the bus is paid for by the parent. One assumes, the parents choose to live in the community or to send their children to a particular school knowing this. While I accept there must be an element of taxpayer subsidy, I do not believe the taxpayer "pays" for it.

Put it another way: I wish to have my children educated in the Catholic system. I choose to move to a community where there is no Catholic school. I wish to have my child bussed to a Catholic school some distance away where, I know, all pupils have to pay for lunchtime supervision.

Do you believe I should:

a) pay only for the bus;
b) pay for only for lunchtime supervision;
c) pay for both a) and b); or
d) pay nothing

I appreciate that schools close and that no one would expect the parents to have to move to avoid paying the bus fees but, in a city where such fees are payable and lunchtime supervision fees are paid by everyone, who is to pay them?

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 9th 2011 at 6:13 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a house 2 years ago with what we were told was a nice community elementary school down the street. Either our realtor didn't know or didn't tell us, but it was permanently closed by the time we moved in. It was one of the reasons for choosing this house, and now there's an abandoned building wasting away at the end of the street with all its lights on 24/7. Now all of the local kids are bussed from the age of 4.

We actually had to pay for school buses for 6th form in England. Apparently as schooling is optional at that point, so is getting there. I think it was 50GBP per term.

I vote for homeschooling - might even work out cheaper soon
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:56 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
When did I say that I agreed that the parents should pay for the bussing or the lunchtime supervision? What I was arguing for was that, if the supervision fees should be paid, everyone should pay them, that there should not be an exception for those that are bussed. Do you disagree with that?
I guess I misunderstood. I will confess that I took "It is still their choice and they should not be subsidized by those that don't have to bus their children" to mean that your position was that parents that bus should pay for busing, parents that dont shouldnt and if you dont like it you shouldnt live somewhere where busing is a necessity.

As pointed out by others, its not always necessarily a choice we have any control over.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:00 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Sigh. In Calgary, lunchtime supervision and or taking the bus is paid for by the parent.
You may accept this as it is all you have experienced in your short time in Calgary. But this has not always been the case and is a result of underfunding by the provincial government.

Will ever go away? Not likely, it's like income tax originally a temporary measure that somehow became permanent.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:01 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I misunderstood. I will confess that I took "It is still their choice and they should not be subsidized by those that don't have to bus their children" to mean that your position was that parents that bus should pay for busing, parents that don't shouldn't and if you don't like it you shouldn't live somewhere where busing is a necessity.
I must have misunderstood too then.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me, or has this thread veered away from its original subject. After all, if the original OP was going to have his budget trashed by a few hundred dollars in school fees, then maybe he shouldn't be looking at coming to Canada in the first!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:09 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Is it just me, or has this thread veered away from its original subject. After all, if the original OP was going to have his budget trashed by a few hundred dollars in school fees, then maybe he shouldn't be looking at coming to Canada in the first!
All goes towards "additional unexpected expenses" M'lud.

On topic after nearly 200 posts? Is this a first I wonder...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

marcwales is on a distinguished road

Without a mortgage you would be living like a king on that. Pretty much anywhere in Canada.
At last, some good news!!!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

marcwales is on a distinguished road

Without a mortgage you would be living like a king on that. Pretty much anywhere in Canada.
Originally Posted by siouxie
We live in a 3 bed bungalow in SE Ontario, the city taxes on it are $3026 a year. Our cable, phone & internet (with HD channels and 50Mb download) costs $125 a month. Have yet to receive utility bills as we have only just moved in, but from our previous property I am anticipating them being in the region of $130-150 a month. My cell phone costs me $100 a year (prepay), my son pays $600 a year on contract, including data stream etc. Food averages $160 a week for the 2 of us. I don't have a car so have a monthly bus pass that costs $87 and is tax deductible. My mortgage is ridiculously cheap (2.35%) and far less than it would cost me to rent a 1 bed apt.

Thanks. this was more like i was thinking. Cant believe the variation in costs. Maybe down to peoples lifestyles?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You may accept this as it is all you have experienced in your short time in Calgary. But this has not always been the case and is a result of underfunding by the provincial government.

Will ever go away? Not likely, it's like income tax originally a temporary measure that somehow became permanent.
I don't disagree with anything you say.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:18 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Thread. Friday. Drifting. Shocker.

I love these "Cost of Living" threads the most. Someone always come along to claim that one just must have at least $100k or similar to be "comfortable"......to survive even!

I am always left wondering how it is that I continue to breathe in and out.

We all know that statistics are really quite rubbish, but here is the StatsCan take on what is the average income after tax.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil108a-eng.htm
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Thread. Friday. Drifting. Shocker.

I love these "Cost of Living" threads the most. Someone always come along to claim that one just must have at least $100k or similar to be "comfortable"......to survive even!

I am always left wondering how it is that I continue to breathe in and out.

We all know that statistics are really quite rubbish, but here is the StatsCan take on what is the average income after tax.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil108a-eng.htm
Where does it say it is after tax? The page is headed "total income" which I'd interpret as gross income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.