Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparing wages to cost of living

Wikiposts

Comparing wages to cost of living

Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:18 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing wages to cost of living

Originally Posted by iaink
to me both seem to be predictable expected expenses of running a school and should be covered by the main budget.
Surely it's the responsibility of the parents to get their kids to and from school?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the school offering a service such as the bus in return for payment to cover costs.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Do teachers really stand aroud and watch as kids eat their sandwiches and chase each other? And parents pay them for it?
In Calgary its not teachers but special lunchtime supervision staff; they also supervise recesses and the lunch. You can't have 150 kids age 5-9 and not supervise them, especially as you send them out into temps as cold as -20. Unlike UK the school yards are not fenced but are areas and not providing supervision is simply not an option

You have no choice but to pay for it. You either pick your child up or you pay for it.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:20 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
But, if you accept that they are a valid charge, then to excuse those that are bussed from having to pay them is a little wonky if you ask me.
If its accepted that fees should be paid then its only logical that if you use the bus you pay for the bus, if you stay for lunch you pay for supervision. If you do both you pay for both.

Is the money actually assigned to pay for what they say it is, or does it end up in a mutlifunction slush fund anyway I wonder?

The pay only one thing looks like politics to keep parents sweet and stop them refusing to pay either, frankly I think it a bloody liberty to pay for either, but then I am the "cheapest man alive"™*

*(outside of NB)

Last edited by iaink; Sep 9th 2011 at 3:23 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Surely it's the responsibility of the parents to get their kids to and from school?
Surely its the responsibility of the school boards to build and maintain schools close to where people actually live if they expect kids to attend...

Dont be dissing the school bus service, I have a woman on the inside now, bringing home the big bucks
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:24 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Airbrushing school photos? That's the saddest thing I've heard in a while. How awful.
That's what the world is coming to unfortunately...you can't really escape it anywhere. Needless to say when we told her if she wanted airbrushing she could pay for that element herself she went right off the idea

I think I will be more disturbed if the Elementary School is offering the same options
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Surely its the responsibility of the school boards to build and maintain schools close to where people actually live if they expect kids to attend...

Dont be dissing the school bus service, I have a woman on the inside now, bringing home the big bucks
Most of those bussed are being bussed from newer neighbourhoods (where the school has yet to be built) to other schools, or from areas that don't offer the school the parents/child want (French Immersion, religious schools, etc.) to ones that do.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
That's what the world is coming to unfortunately...you can't really escape it anywhere. Needless to say when we told her if she wanted airbrushing she could pay for that element herself she went right off the idea

I think I will be more disturbed if the Elementary School is offering the same options
The world is coming to nothing, it's the inhabitants of the world that impose such bullshit. It's the same as women that read magazines and then spend hours trying to hone their body to look like whatever other woman is held up as the epitome of perfection. The only person that can impose such bullshit upon themselves is the person they see when they look in the mirror.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:30 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Airbrushing school photos? That's the saddest thing I've heard in a while. How awful.
It's appalling isn't it?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One assumes it is known when one chooses to live in an area whether there is a school that one's child does not need to be bussed to. Therefore, the parents have either accepted that bussing will be required or have chosen to send their little one to a different school which will require a trip on a bus.
Or parents choose where to live for other reasons - proximity to work for members of the family, nearby medical facilities or other amenities.

Also remembering that a change to high school, for example might change everything (does that mean one moves again?) Then that other complication of kids of different ages attending different schools.

It's not that simple a choice.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:21 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Because driving your kid to school is free of course

I don't understand that mentality to be honest.
The convenience of them not having to wait in the rain, parents pandering to their kids. If you have to pay for it anyway, do what is the most convenient.

I cannot understand the school boards either, govt is trying to get people onto public transport, school parking lots are jammed up with people who seem to have had their brains sucked out when it comes to driving. Anywhere around a school at the start of the day and end of day is chaos. Parents should be encouraged to use the bus and discouraged from driving their kids to school.

Still cannot see why the school board need to spend $10k on an end of year party either!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Or parents choose where to live for other reasons - proximity to work for members of the family, nearby medical facilities or other amenities.
It is still their choice and they should not be subsidized by those that don't have to bus their children.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Also remembering that a change to high school, for example might change everything (does that mean one moves again?) Then that other complication of kids of different ages attending different schools.

It's not that simple a choice.
There are no supervision fees for high school children and, with the greatest of respect, it is a simple choice. Parents are responsible for the cost of getting their children to school. Other parents should not be responsible for such costs.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

It is still their choice and they should not be subsidized by those that don't have to bus their children.

There are no supervision fees for high school children and, with the greatest of respect, it is a simple choice. Parents are responsible for the cost of getting their children to school. Other parents should not be responsible for such costs.
Bussing makes too much sense to do anything to discourage it. You get cars off the steets, the parents dont have to match their work hours to school hours and potentially trail three or more kids to three different schools spread over ten square miles depending on the age spread.

Hell, why not just go the whole hog and let those without kids at all pay lower taxes and load all the cost of schooling on those with school age kids...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:57 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, why not just go the whole hog and let those without kids at all pay lower taxes and load all the cost of schooling on those with school age kids...

Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:59 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by R I C H

Oh, Im sure I can think of a few members here who might have posted that without the sarcasm I hope I injected...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:10 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

with the greatest of respect, it is a simple choice. Parents are responsible for the cost of getting their children to school. Other parents should not be responsible for such costs.
Bullshit.

So if you move to an area with a school and a few years later the school board decides to close it. You think the parents should be responsible for bussing to the new school?

You would also penalize parents who move into newer neighborhoods because they are more affordable but don't yet have schools?

I don't think I want to live in your world, it sounds a lot like something the Wild Rose Alliance would dream up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.