Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparing wages to cost of living

Wikiposts

Comparing wages to cost of living

Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:19 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing wages to cost of living

Originally Posted by iaink
Luchtime supervision!!!http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/457591-D2...epalm_icon.gif

Yeah, clearly it unreasonable to expect a SCHOOL to provide that as part of the regular service...

How long before that one gets foisted on Ontario too I wonder.
Teachers are on strike in BC right now (probably for the kids). Not providing lunchtime supervision, so the kids can go outside and take their chances during recess. The height of responsibility and caring. The school district is short of funds, so now charged for busing, there is enough cash for a $10,000 end of year party for staff though. School parking lots are jammed up with more parents driving kids rather than paying bus fees, not not mention the extra pollution. Buses drop kids all over the place now, making the routes shorter and the kids have to walk a mile or more to their house. I thought govt. were encouraging people to get the bus, school bus fees have just put more on the road.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 9th 2011 at 2:22 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:40 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

School photo packages are optional, but we usually end up spending about $70 between the two kids.

No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to get the school photos airbrushed or go overboard on halloween Birthdays are the same time every year are they not? what happened to the idea of budgeting and saving to cover that, its not like they comes out of the blue
School photos are optional in Alberta too! However, airbrushing is an attractive option to a 17 year girl

This is our first year here so like most people having just moved to a new country, budgeting for extra expenses, like school fees, cost of sending birthday parcels back to the UK etc will get easier the second time around.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
The deal is you don't pay for both lunchtime supervision and busing...........
Which, IMO, is nuts. One should know whether a school is available without busing prior to purchasing a house. Without having to pay for both, those that use the bus are being subsidized by those that don't.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:58 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Which, IMO, is nuts. One should know whether a school is available without busing prior to purchasing a house. Without having to pay for both, those that use the bus are being subsidized by those that don't.
Seems odd to me that anyone pays anything for either busing or supervision, to me both seem to be predictable expected expenses of running a school and should be covered by the main budget.

Of course, from my own "further out of town" perspective, all those living a bit out of the city are subsidising all those in the city to some extent with our taxes as we pay the same tax rate but dont have the same level of access to city provided services that those in town probably use more, so it ends up a wash anyway if those close enough to not need the bus pay something towards those that do use the bus...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:02 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Seems odd to me that anyone pays anything for either busing or supervision, to me both seem to be predictable expected expenses of running a school and should be covered by the main budget.

Of course, from my own "further out of town" perspective, all those living a bit out of the city are subsidising all those in the city to some extent with our taxes as we pay the same tax rate but dont have the same level of access to city provided services that those in town probably use more, so it ends up a wash anyway if those close enough to not need the bus pay something towards those that do use the bus...
Wow really ? Here living out of town halved my tax bill which was part of the attraction.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Wow really ? Here living out of town halved my tax bill which was part of the attraction.
I too paid almost no taxes for almost no services in the country. I suspect Iain's problem is that he's neither in nor out.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:07 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
The "City of Quinte West" (city? really?) is complex tax wise, split into 4 areas... My area covers a lot of ground from just outside the city limits to 20km out of town... So, they charge us less for city based services, more for snow clearance, and more for policing, although I dont remember the last time I actually saw a cruiser out here. From where I am it seems we pay over the odds for what the city actually provides. For example, the nearest city playground is 10km away...

I'm just bitter and twisted, dont mind me
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:08 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
I too paid almost no taxes for almost no services in the country. I suspect Iain's problem is that he's neither in nor out.
Bingo...

tongues will wag now eh
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:11 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Not providing lunchtime supervision, so the kids can go outside and take their chances during recess. The height of responsibility and caring.
I am certain that, as a kid, we were not supervised during breaks in the playground. Do teachers really stand aroud and watch as kids eat their sandwiches and chase each other? And parents pay them for it?

Originally Posted by snowcandy
However, airbrushing is an attractive option to a 17 year girl
Airbrushing school photos? That's the saddest thing I've heard in a while. How awful.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
The deal is you don't pay for both lunchtime supervision and busing...........
Which is somewhat dodgy - effectively the bus users are being subsidised by the rest. I know some whose children go home for lunch so they don't pay the lunch supervision.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:12 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
school bus fees have just put more on the road.
Because driving your kid to school is free of course

I don't understand that mentality to be honest.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I am not disagreeing with you. The lunchroom supervision fees were a shock to us when we first arrived.

But, if you accept that they are a valid charge, then to excuse those that are bussed from having to pay them is a little wonky if you ask me.

One assumes it is known when one chooses to live in an area whether there is a school that one's child does not need to be bussed to. Therefore, the parents have either accepted that bussing will be required or have chosen to send their little one to a different school which will require a trip on a bus. Therefore, one chooses to pay for the bus and should also have to pay for the lunchtime supervision that all others have to pay for.

The counter argument is that, if bussing is not required, the child can go home for lunch, thereby avoiding the fees, an option, it is argued, that is not available to those that require bussing. I believe that this is a somewhat weak argument.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:14 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

get the school photos airbrushed
Am i the only one who finds that disturbing

Edit: I see i'm not alone.

Last edited by el_richo; Sep 9th 2011 at 3:16 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:15 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The "City of Quinte West" (city? really?) is complex tax wise, split into 4 areas... My area covers a lot of ground from just outside the city limits to 20km out of town... So, they charge us less for city based services, more for snow clearance, and more for policing, although I dont remember the last time I actually saw a cruiser out here. From where I am it seems we pay over the odds for what the city actually provides. For example, the nearest city playground is 10km away...

I'm just bitter and twisted, dont mind me
I am similarly minded. I pay $2600 or so in property taxes a year. The area I live in had no water and sewer. Aside from garbage collection, the only municipal service I regular benefit from is snowclearing.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I am certain that, as a kid, we were not supervised during breaks in the playground. Do teachers really stand aroud and watch as kids eat their sandwiches and chase each other? And parents pay them for it?
It would appear so. My daughter has just started Grade 7. She doesn't have to pay such fees anymore even though she is in the same school. I guess the powers that be believe they will not fight with one another, eat their food properly, and will not freeze to death by being left outside at her age. I would think the exact opposite would apply, but I guess I am stupid.

As I said above, there is a suggestion that such fees are not legal anyway. It will be interesting to see how that pans out

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Airbrushing school photos? That's the saddest thing I've heard in a while. How awful.
I completely agree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.