Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparing wages to cost of living

Wikiposts

Comparing wages to cost of living

Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing wages to cost of living

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's all very sensible and neccessary. However, in a way, I'm glad the decision as to where to emigrate to in Canada was made for me by virtue of the Mrs being from here. It made life a lot simpler. And more complex.
Yeah, having a job offer in one location made it a lot simpler for me. The fact I like the area and met my better half here was a bonus.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by delsol79
Sorry a little of topic but I really do not think this is true. Not why I moved to Canada but I know that Calgary does not have hoods like Manchester does Living in Stretford I regularly had balaclava kids on bikes patrolling the streets - not seen that here yet.

Same goes for city centre - Piccadilly Gardens is almost off limits on a weekend evening - can't say the same about Stephens Ave...
Of course, otherwise nothing wrong with the UK that a good cull would not put right.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:16 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Yeah, having a job offer in one location made it a lot simpler for me. The fact I like the area and met my better half here was a bonus.
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's all very sensible and neccessary. However, in a way, I'm glad the decision as to where to emigrate to in Canada was made for me by virtue of the Mrs being from here. It made life a lot simpler. And more complex.
Too much choice is sometimes worse than too little

Pros and cons are personal and nowhere is perfect.
So you pays your money, you takes your choice.

At least Canada is surely big enough to find something that suits if you are prepared to look hard enough.

I would also say that the first place you settle doesn't have to be THE place.
Finding somewhere that is OK for now is fine while you establish yourself in a new country and new job.
No-one should expect to make the perfect choice right away and maybe the pressure of thinking they have to contributes to some immigrants' sense of disappointment and dissatisfaction when they first arrive and possibly beyond.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:19 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Of course, otherwise nothing wrong with the UK that a good cull would not put right.
I knew this was going to happen sooner or later

I am assuming you are not referring to badgers?

Here we go.........
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Here we go.........
Lets not...
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Well have to agree to disagree on that one then - I am in no doubt that in my personal situation Calgary is much safer than Manchester both in surburbs and city centre.

Maybe those in doubt lived in the nicer areas of UK
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:45 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by iaink
Lets not...
Oh I wasn't going to go there, but someone probably will......
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I really hope not...
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:20 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved the exchange rate was 2.35. At the time I thought that 1.6 to 1.7 was a fair multiplier. Today I would guess it is nearer to 2. However, as mortgage payments will be the largest expense for most people so much depends on the cost of housing where you are moving to, and how much equity you bring with you. If you have a large mortgage in the UK and move to somewhere where you can buy your home outright a £ for $ conversion might work equally well.

I agree with hecat12. Having enough in somewhere you like to live will lead to more happiness than having lots somewhere you don't. Fortunately I am in the former category.

I also agree with Mardyarse. Once you are in Canada think of £ for $ until you become settled and used to thinking of your income and spending in dollars. And I am supposed to be financially literate.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

marcwales is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. Looks like i started world war 3 !!
Had a good think about this, and came up with the following, regardless of the concersion rate:
All my monthly bills in £ account for approx 80% of my take home pay.

I then took an educated guess (bound to be wrong - see end of message!) on monthly outgoings in Canada, and taking potential earnings into account, wrked out that bills in Canada would at up more like 50%. I wouldn't have a mortgage in Canada.
Can someone please help me in checking my monthly figures - looking for general averages, not individual accounts as everyone is different.

CANADA MONTHLY DOLL

Mortgage $0.00

$1600/yr Council Tax $133.33

Car Loan1 $150.00
Car Loan2 $150.00

($1000dol year) Car Insurance 1 $83.33
Car Insurance 2 $83.33

Petrol 1 $240.00
Petrol 2 $240.00

Food (family 4) $600.00

Phone etc $125.00

$1000dol year House Insurance $83.33

$800 yr Water $66.67

$1500 yr Gas / electric $125.00

TOTAL $2080

How far off am I? Not to sure of house insurance.

Only real way is to compare % of earnings lost on bills. As bills are effectively a measure of cost of living, looking at this % will tell you if you will have proportionally more money left over. I think.....

Looking forward to your replies.
PS Its not all about money, this is just one aspect I needed help on. However, in my defense money really is a key factor in happiness - not the be all and end all, but a large factor all the same. If I can combine increase in spending money with the lifestyle change of Canada I think I'd be on to a winner. Other aspects, like family, are other factors, like schooling etc. But, above everything, I am not going to move anywhere if I won't have any money to enjoy myself more than here. Whats the point?? Thanks everyone!!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:53 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I also agree with Mardyarse. Once you are in Canada think of £ for $ until you become settled and used to thinking of your income and spending in dollars.
I'm still not convinced on that one. If i were to go to the store to buy some milk, it makes no difference what the conversion is. I'm still going to buy the milk and the cost will be factored into my Canadian outgoings.

Maybe people need to keep a link to the UK and this is one way of doing it?

Comparisons and/or conversions serve no purpose other than to either cause grumpiness when it's more expensive, or joy when cheaper. It's not going to change the price you pay.

Unless i'm missing something.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcwales
($1000dol year)

Car Insurance 1 $83.33
Car Insurance 2 $83.33
Oh no. Mine's $450 a month for one car. $450 is a bit high but $300 per car wouldn't be a ridiculous estimate.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

marcwales is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh no. Mine's $450 a month for one car. $450 is a bit high but $300 per car wouldn't be a ridiculous estimate.
$300 a month??!! Are you driving a Ferrari??
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

$300 a month??!! Are you driving a Ferrari??
2007 VW Beetle Convertible. Blue. $450. It'd be more if I told them I don't live in the country anymore. Again, $450 is quite a lot but not really exceptional, a colleague pays a little over $10,000 a year for two cars due to having a young driver in the household.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

CANADA MONTHLY DOLL

Mortgage $0.00

$1600/yr Council Tax $133.33

Car Loan1 $150.00
Car Loan2 $150.00

($1000dol year) Car Insurance 1 $83.33
Car Insurance 2 $83.33

Petrol 1 $240.00
Petrol 2 $240.00

Food (family 4) $600.00

Phone etc $125.00

$1000dol year House Insurance $83.33

$800 yr Water $66.67

$1500 yr Gas / electric $125.00

TOTAL $2080
Second hand cars are REALLY expensive over here - I think you mentioned early on in this thread some really low prices for cars. Fine as long as you are OK driving beaters.

Car insurance depends where - we pay 288 a month for two cars. As dbd33 says - Ontario is probably going to double that.

Food - no chance IMO - we pay around 750 a month for a family of 3 and we shop at Canadian Superstore!

2 cells phones and we pay $140 a month.

Budget around 150 for TV/Internet/Home phone.

Maybe more like $3000 a year for GAS/Elec/Water but that is a hard one to estimate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.