Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Comparing wages to cost of living

Wikiposts

Comparing wages to cost of living

Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of
Default Re: Comparing wages to cost of living

Originally Posted by TheKellys5
Yep, apparently that touring version is '6' seats from what I managed to read, (the rear ones being for persons of not great stature lol) - definitely a contender imo, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Having read up a bit more, the only main drawback looks like not being able to tend the baby if necessary while moving (easy done in the Kia), due to the smaller size; and if all the seats are in use there's no room for more than a small bag or 2 in the boot.
This is going to be a lot damn harder than I thought...
I have one of these and I love it BUT we are a family of 3. With 5 of you you definitely need the large size van. Honda vans seem to have a good reputation but they are pricier.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
All purchased new in BC at main dealerships, on the road prices:

June '11 5dr Golf GTi $30,255 (UK price with identical spec £29,293)
Dec '09 Mercedes ML350 $58,455 (UK price with identical spec £54,510)
April '09 Subaru Impreza WRX256 $33,458 (UK price with identical spec £23,780)
November '08 Subaru Forester XT $32,395 No equivalent in UK
June '06 Mazda 3 $20,140 (UK price with similar spec £17,805)

Even using a lowly exchange rate of 1.5, they make the UK equivalents look pricey.
Ah. Looks like we're looking at a very different class of car All of those would be out of our league in both places
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by R I C H
All purchased new in BC at main dealerships, on the road prices:

June '11 5dr Golf GTi $30,255 (UK price with identical spec £29,293)
Dec '09 Mercedes ML350 $58,455 (UK price with identical spec £54,510)
April '09 Subaru Impreza WRX256 $33,458 (UK price with identical spec £23,780)
November '08 Subaru Forester XT $32,395 No equivalent in UK
June '06 Mazda 3 $20,140 (UK price with similar spec £17,805)

Even using a lowly exchange rate of 1.5, they make the UK equivalents look pricey.
I believe most people are referring to second hand car prices which are certainly more expensive than the UK.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgroe
I have one of these and I love it BUT we are a family of 3. With 5 of you you definitely need the large size van. Honda vans seem to have a good reputation but they are pricier.
With 4 we get by with a Legacy and a Civic. Got to decide what to replace the civic with, another civic, ford fiesta or focus. hyundai Elantra, or Veloster. Fuel economy is important, and the Civic is made in Canada which is a factor to consider, but the Velostar has funky styling and a start button and central exhausts...

You need at least 5 to justify a van.

Choosing a car based on a baby makes no sense. In 6 or 12 months it wont be such a factor.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
I believe most people are referring to second hand car prices which are certainly more expensive than the UK.
Then dont buy second hand... Its a toss up here I think if you can get low monthly payments and zero down on a new vehicle. Buying used is not the no brainer decision it was in the UK, but then maybe I have more income now too.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Then dont buy second hand... Its a toss up here I think if you can get low monthly payments and zero down on a new vehicle. Buying used is not the no brainer decision it was in the UK, but then maybe I have more income now too.
I agree but many people will have no choice but to go second hand if have no credit history or wad of cash with them.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 1:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by delsol79
I agree but many people will have no choice but to go second hand if have no credit history or wad of cash with them.
My first canadian vehicle was a shiney new jeep on a lease. Only wad of cash was the security deposit ($2k?), which I eventually got back. I take your point though, and I did have a job which makes a difference to the financing. Im also not sure it was the best move for me with hindsite, An old $1000 beater would have been better.

Im not sure though that spending $10k+ on an older used vehicle makes sense here though, corrosion is an issue and used prices stay high and attract sales tax, so its a different set of circumstances to buying in the UK. (Talking Ontario of course)
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

You need at least 5 to justify a van.

Choosing a car based on a baby makes no sense. In 6 or 12 months it wont be such a factor.
Depends.

There will be a few times that we'll have to hire a van when we have visitors. If you're in that situation regularly then it would make a difference. Or does that technically count as more than 4?

It's now law in Canada that infants need to stay rear facing until the age of 1 AND 20lbs weight AND able to walk unaided (I'm a car seat tech). Although they put these in various different places so nobody has all 3 in the same place. Handy, eh? Also, the American Pediatric Association has change it's recommendation to rear facing for at least 2 years, so that's likely to trickle over here too.

It's a lot safer for them to be rear facing, and there are seats now that can keep them that way until 40-45lbs (they just either frog or cross their legs and are a lot more comfortable than it sounds ). We just turned our little boy at the age of 2 1/2, because he reached the rear facing limit for his seat, and we know people doing it even longer because they have higher rated seats that weren't available until a few months after we got ours.

So, if you even have the one child, you want to make sure that there's enough room in the back not only for a bucket infant seat, but also for a convertible rear facing seat, which they will likely need before they can be turned. We had trouble with a Dodge Caliber and rear facing and still being able to reasonably use the passenger seat, even putting the seat in the middle, so I think it's totally reasonable to bear having a baby in mind when shopping for a car.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

I'm not - the baby makes 5 of us. Me, Wifey, 3 daughters (inc baby) - so a van is reasonable imho, but looking closer reliability is a definite requirement. Have not looked at the new v old bit yet but meh, it's not going to be easy to sort lol
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Depends.

There will be a few times that we'll have to hire a van when we have visitors. If you're in that situation regularly then it would make a difference. Or does that technically count as more than 4?

It's now law in Canada that infants need to stay rear facing until the age of 1 AND 20lbs weight AND able to walk unaided (I'm a car seat tech). Although they put these in various different places so nobody has all 3 in the same place. Handy, eh? Also, the American Pediatric Association has change it's recommendation to rear facing for at least 2 years, so that's likely to trickle over here too.

It's a lot safer for them to be rear facing, and there are seats now that can keep them that way until 40-45lbs (they just either frog or cross their legs and are a lot more comfortable than it sounds ). We just turned our little boy at the age of 2 1/2, because he reached the rear facing limit for his seat, and we know people doing it even longer because they have higher rated seats that weren't available until a few months after we got ours.

So, if you even have the one child, you want to make sure that there's enough room in the back not only for a bucket infant seat, but also for a convertible rear facing seat, which they will likely need before they can be turned. We had trouble with a Dodge Caliber and rear facing and still being able to reasonably use the passenger seat, even putting the seat in the middle, so I think it's totally reasonable to bear having a baby in mind when shopping for a car.
A requirement for a rear facing seat for anything larger than a whippet would rule out convertible cars for anyone needing to cart small children around. I can't imagine anyone breeding in the face of such a draconian restriction.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
A requirement for a rear facing seat for anything larger than a whippet would rule out convertible cars for anyone needing to cart small children around. I can't imagine anyone breeding in the face of such a draconian restriction.
Who wanted a convertible car? I was talking about regular cars and convertible car seats (that's what they call the ones that rear face longer, and then convert to forward facing).
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:44 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Who wanted a convertible car? I was talking about regular cars and convertible car seats (that's what they call the ones that rear face longer, and then convert to forward facing).
dbd was. Hes a serial owner of convertibles. I wouldnt mind to be honest.

Besides, If a Pontiac G6 doesnt appeal for some reason Im sure there is room on back of a merc E class softop... or going oldschool with an aircraft carrier sized caddie convertible...

If I can fit a rear facing alpha-omega seat in a legacy or civic, or the old mazda protege how hard can it be to find something that will do until the kid can be turned around?

Last edited by iaink; Sep 20th 2011 at 3:49 am.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Who wanted a convertible car?
Everyone, surely.

I can't think of many convertible cars that would accomodate this convertible seat contraption and so express concern that a trend, perhaps backed by legislation, toward these cumbersome devices would lead to sensible people electing not to breed rather than tolerate their lives being circumscribed to the extent of having to travel in an enclosed vehicle.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Besides, Im sure there is room on back of a merc E class softop anyway...
For the bucket type of seat used to pick up new offspring from hospitals, yes. I'm not sure about all this swivelling gubbins, how high is it off the car seat?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
For the bucket type of seat used to pick up new offspring from hospitals, yes. I'm not sure about all this swivelling gubbins, how high is it off the car seat?
You mean the front/ rear convertible seats? not so much, a couple of inches maybe... The top is usually about level with the seat back.

My kids both hated them in rear facing mode, they couldnt see anything but the seat so got bored and antsy, plus they were long thin things and there was nowhere for their legs to go after a while

Last edited by iaink; Sep 20th 2011 at 4:03 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.