Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Edmonton?

Any Brits in Edmonton?

Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

nordyandsharpey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits in Edmonton?

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Yes, me...I try and watch the Saturday morning game on Score or Sportsnet whichever is showing premier league.FOOTBALL.. Would be happy to meet up..my daughter will be here for 7 weeks at the beginning of July and she plays for Portsmouth FC Ladies, so will also be up for watching FOOTBALL.
Hi Pompeyboy,

Yep would definitely be interested in meeting up. How about I email you again nearer to the start of the season. In the meantime, I'm off to study the rules of the game just in case the ostentatious Mr Cassidy tries to test me on them in his next post. Have a good one.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nordyandsharpey
Hi Pompeyboy,

Yep would definitely be interested in meeting up. How about I email you again nearer to the start of the season. In the meantime, I'm off to study the rules of the game just in case the ostentatious Mr Cassidy tries to test me on them in his next post. Have a good one.
Is ostentatious another word for knob??
And just in case he reads your last post its "The laws of the game".
Look forward to hearing from you male or female!
Cheers Pompeyboy

PS Get on The Locker Room...Fraser is a bitter West Ham fan and he hates Redknapp...
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:43 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

And just in case he reads your last post its "The laws of the game".
Look forward to hearing from you male or female!
Cheers Pompeyboy

PS Get on The Locker Room...Fraser is a bitter West Ham fan and he hates Redknapp...
Nah, but pretentious is.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:59 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

I think so yeah, also as far as Im aware also means nothing worthwhile or useful to contribute to an OP's and thread/question but complete drivel and sh*te away from origional topic!

Last edited by Mikey B; Jul 22nd 2008 at 1:02 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:01 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
I think so yeah
Mikey,
hasn't your lease run out on that brain cell?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:03 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Mikey,
hasn't your lease run out on that brain cell?
Why do you need it back? Having trouble breathing not having a single one? Knuckles dragging too?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:06 am
Banned

Why do you need it back? Having trouble breathing not having a single one? Knuckles dragging too?
Didn't your mummy ever tell you not to talk to yourself?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:10 am
No time for muppets!

Didn't your mummy ever tell you not to talk to yourself?
Ohh thats a good one, Im laughing my ass off now!

Mate are you in Canada yet? If so they seriously have lowered the standard of entry since I applied and moved here. Am I talking to myself again or you gonna reply like last time eh?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:13 am
Banned

Ohh thats a good one, Im laughing my ass off now!

Mate are you in Canada yet? If so they seriously have lowered the standard of entry since I applied and moved here. Am I talking to myself again or you gonna reply like last time eh?
Kind of get the feeling one of us slipped through the net, and I'm damn sure he doesn't live in Alberta.

Now why not go back to shaving your palms and beating your big manly chest? Oh I'm sorry you probably can't get to it through your oh so hot and sexy lycra muscle shirt.

Think I'll go play with the big people now.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:15 am
No time for muppets!

Kind of get the feeling one of us slipped through the net, and I'm damn sure he doesn't live in Alberta.

Now why not go back to shaving your palms and beating your big manly chest? Oh I'm sorry you probably can't get to it through your oh so hot and sexy lycra muscle shirt.

Think I'll go play with the big people now.
Goodnight muppet, you go play with the big boys like you say, mommy always said you were special and a big boy.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 3:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

true football is now called Rugby
<snip>

"Football" clearly predated the invention of Rugby....

Last edited by iaink; Jul 22nd 2008 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice

Originally Posted by nordyandsharpey
Hello...

We are a young(ish) English-Canadian couple who have just moved (about a month ago) to Edmonton with our one-year-old daughter. Just wondering if there are any other Brits in Edmonton who would be interested in meeting up for a pint/coffee/whatever! Our interests are football (sports generally), music, travel ... all the usual stuff. We're hoping to meet like-minded people for friendship and possibly to watch the football with when the new season starts!

Cheers!
Me and my OH are looking into moving to Edmoton hopefully this year on a TWP. We are a youngish English couple with a 16 month old daughter. We should keep in touch, you can show us round when we get there

How you liking Edmonton, is it nice, we are in sunny Manchester at the moment, can't wait to leave.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...plaque_700.jpg

"Football" clearly predated the invention of Rugby....
Thank you Iain,

"the rule for which Webb Ellis showed disregard was running forward with it as the rules of his time only allowed a player to retreat backwards or kick forwards."

Also taken from wiki .

If you'd care to read the article you'll find this event is purported to have occured in 1823, whilst it wasn't until the 1860s that efforts were made to unify the VARIOUS styles of public school games:

"At the Freemason's Tavern, Great Queen Street, London on the evening of October 26, 1863, representatives of several football clubs in the London Metropolitan area met for the inaugural meeting of The Football Association (FA). The aim of the Association was to establish a single unifying code and regulate the playing of the game among its members. Following the first meeting, the public schools were invited to join the association. All of them declined, except Charterhouse and Uppingham. In total, six meetings of the FA were held between October and December 1863. After the third meeting, a draft set of rules were published. However, at the beginning of the fourth meeting, attention was drawn to the recently-published Cambridge Rules of 1863. The Cambridge rules differed from the draft FA rules in two significant areas; namely running with (carrying) the ball and hacking (kicking opposing players in the shins). The two contentious FA rules were as follows:

IX. A player shall be entitled to run with the ball towards his adversaries' goal if he makes a fair catch, or catches the ball on the first bound; but in case of a fair catch, if he makes his mark he shall not run.

X. If any player shall run with the ball towards his adversaries' goal, any player on the opposite side shall be at liberty to charge, hold, trip or hack him, or to wrest the ball from him, but no player shall be held and hacked at the same time."

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; Jul 22nd 2008 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd care to read the article you'll find this event is purported to have occured in 1823, whilst it wasn't until the 1860s that efforts were made to unify the VARIOUS styles of public school games:
If you care to go back to Han Dynasty China (around 200BC) there was a variant of a game called Tsu' Chu, mentioned in miliray manuals, which consisted of kicking a leather ball filled with feathers and hair through an opening into a small net fixed onto long bamboo canes. The player was not permitted to use their hands.

Its all a pointless argument anyway, does it really matter?

http://www.footballnetwork.org/dev/h...l/history1.asp
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
If you care to go back to Han Dynasty China (around 200BC) there was a variant of a game called Tsu' Chu, mentioned in miliray manuals, which consisted of kicking a leather ball filled with feathers and hair through an opening into a small net fixed onto long bamboo canes. The player was not permitted to use their hands.

Its all a pointless argument anyway, does it really matter?

http://www.footballnetwork.org/dev/h...l/history1.asp
Exactly, so why join in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.