Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Edmonton?

Any Brits in Edmonton?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

nordyandsharpey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits in Edmonton?

Originally Posted by Vikty
Winging it completely. I was watching GMTV of all things, and the employment minister of Alberta was on there saying their short of people there and want Brits. I mentioned it to OH, he's wanted to move there since before he met me and was ecstatic that I was even considering it (UK is going down the toilet as far as I'm concerned). He's a Scaffolder, he's been wanting to move to Canada since before he met me.

He emailed a few companies just to see if there was much need for Scaffolders in Canada. Straight away he got offered a 2 year contract in Edmonton (apparently scaffolding is classed as carpentry over there)

They are going to apply for an E-LMO (much quicker than an LMO, it only takes 7 days) then we're good to go.

We have to wait a few weeks though, has to send off for a card to prove his quals, in the UK he just uses certificates cause the card costs money, but this company want the card.

Once he gets that they apply for the E-LMO and we're off. Its all happening so fast.

Its scary but exiting too. I'm terrified but I can't wait to get there.
Winging it, that's the best way to do it I reckon. I had never even been to the UK before I moved to London and it turned out to be the best thing I ever did.

Sounds like your OH is set for a job then, there certainly are plenty around here. I know what you mean about being excited and scared - I felt the same way before we left the UK and I'm originally from Canada! My partner was less anxious about it than I was! Anyway, we decided that we've gotta give it 2 years before we make our minds up about living here. I think no matter where you go, it takes that long to get fully settled. Anyway, so far so good, apart from missing people back in the UK and a few creature comforts like British telly (TV is rubbish here!). Other than that tho... everything seems to be really good!!!

Any idea where in Edmonton you might move?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dannyg1001
Nordy and Sharpey...

just sent you a private email... but i am english and in edmonton.. involved in FOOTBALL and we currently have 14 british lads on the team... (with british wives and girlfriends as well) aside from playing footy we have regular nights out for the brits and its a right laugh!

I sent my contact details to you if you want to get together for a pint or something

Danny
Cheers mate, will get in touch soon!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Hi there all! Just thought I'd get involved here .... we'll (hopefully) be moving to Edmonton in the coming month. Currently awaiting our letter from London to give us the go ahead - LMO etc in place. OH is footie fan, and it might be worth keeping in touch for when we eventually arrive (that's if they let us in!!) Brother already lives in Edmonton, so we'll have somewhere to stay when we arrive, but otherwise, we'll be looking for somewhere in the SW side of Edmonton. Got 2 kids, 10 & 9. My lad (9 yrs old) loves footie too!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice

Originally Posted by nordyandsharpey
Winging it, that's the best way to do it I reckon. I had never even been to the UK before I moved to London and it turned out to be the best thing I ever did.

Sounds like your OH is set for a job then, there certainly are plenty around here. I know what you mean about being excited and scared - I felt the same way before we left the UK and I'm originally from Canada! My partner was less anxious about it than I was! Anyway, we decided that we've gotta give it 2 years before we make our minds up about living here. I think no matter where you go, it takes that long to get fully settled. Anyway, so far so good, apart from missing people back in the UK and a few creature comforts like British telly (TV is rubbish here!). Other than that tho... everything seems to be really good!!!

Any idea where in Edmonton you might move?
No idea which part we're moving to. Its hard to get a feel for places over the internet. OH is going to be sorting all of that out for us. The plan is once everything is in place he's going over there first to settle in and find us a place to live (we'll be renting at first)

I'll be hanging back in Manchester with our daughter (she's 17 months old, I'm really not looking forward to the plane journey on my own with little miss tantrum, lol)

While he's settling in I'll be tying up loose ends here and then we'll join him.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lloydies
Hi there all! Just thought I'd get involved here .... we'll (hopefully) be moving to Edmonton in the coming month. Currently awaiting our letter from London to give us the go ahead - LMO etc in place. OH is footie fan, and it might be worth keeping in touch for when we eventually arrive (that's if they let us in!!) Brother already lives in Edmonton, so we'll have somewhere to stay when we arrive, but otherwise, we'll be looking for somewhere in the SW side of Edmonton. Got 2 kids, 10 & 9. My lad (9 yrs old) loves footie too!
Glad to hear we are starting a British Invasion! We're living in SW Edmonton - seems very nice so far. Get in touch when you get here - we'll all have to get together!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Glad to hear we are starting a British Invasion! We're living in SW Edmonton - seems very nice so far. Get in touch when you get here - we'll all have to get together!
I think you're right on the invasion!! We've just received the authorisation letter from London - wwooooooo hhooooooo!! Anyway, sorry about that, we're about to book our flights for 29th Aug - so should be there to seek a house, a job for me (OH got the WP) and get the kids in school. Lots to do ... feeling the pressure!

What is it that you're doing there?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lloydies
I think you're right on the invasion!! We've just received the authorisation letter from London - wwooooooo hhooooooo!! Anyway, sorry about that, we're about to book our flights for 29th Aug - so should be there to seek a house, a job for me (OH got the WP) and get the kids in school. Lots to do ... feeling the pressure!

What is it that you're doing there?
Congratulations! I don't envy the mad-dash your embarking on now, our last week in London was MENTAL! Hopefully all goes well for you with the move.

Don't worry about the job, there are tons of jobs of all sorts in Edmonton, I'm sure you'll be fine. My OH worked in finance but is seeking a career change so is taking a bit of time to explore new avenues. I'm normally a psych. nurse but am staying home for awhile with our 15 month old daughter, as we are expecting another bubba in December.

Have you got your movers and everything organised? Are you renting or buying a home when you get here? If renting - make sure you take the time to see lots of properties. We looked at about 5, and are renting a brand new condo with all the ammenties you can think of, which was listed at the same price as a dodgy old one in a derelect building we saw beforehand. Southwest is def. a nice area.

Hope all goes well and get in touch when you get here!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Congratulations! I don't envy the mad-dash your embarking on now, our last week in London was MENTAL! Hopefully all goes well for you with the move.

Don't worry about the job, there are tons of jobs of all sorts in Edmonton, I'm sure you'll be fine. My OH worked in finance but is seeking a career change so is taking a bit of time to explore new avenues. I'm normally a psych. nurse but am staying home for awhile with our 15 month old daughter, as we are expecting another bubba in December.

Have you got your movers and everything organised? Are you renting or buying a home when you get here? If renting - make sure you take the time to see lots of properties. We looked at about 5, and are renting a brand new condo with all the ammenties you can think of, which was listed at the same price as a dodgy old one in a derelect building we saw beforehand. Southwest is def. a nice area.

Hope all goes well and get in touch when you get here!
We moved out of our house in July, so the removals people export, wrapped and packed our stuff then! It's been in storage awaiting a nod from us to ship it. It's leaving Liverpool on the 4th Sept, so we've got most of Septembeer to find somewhere decent. Got to get a job though! But need an employer's offer first (don't have open wp).

Anyway - I'll keep on posting. But tonight is my last log on until we actually arrive in Canada! We're flying Fri - it's almost here and I've not packed my suitcases properly yet - it won't all fit in!!! Aaaahhhhh
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

We've arrived! Been here almost 2 weeks, it's been busy but we're getting there. Found a house, got the kids in school yesterday and now awaiting container to move into new house at the end of Sept.

Anyone out there in their 30's with kids?? Mine are aged 10 (daughter almost 11) and 9 (son).
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada

Where in Edmonton are you??

Linda
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Linda P
Welcome to Canada

Where in Edmonton are you??

Linda
Ellerslie area at the mo - moving to Rutherford at the end of month.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Rutherford is nice, I have a couple of pet sitting clients down there. I'm up in Riverbend now, so not too far, about 15 minutes or so.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Mim_Pangers will become famous soon enoughMim_Pangers will become famous soon enough

Hiya
I am moving to St. Albert in Edmonton on 24th September to join hubby, with our girls aged 6 and 1.
Maybe we shoudl have a meet up?!??!
Mim
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mim_Pangers
Hiya
I am moving to St. Albert in Edmonton on 24th September to join hubby, with our girls aged 6 and 1.
Maybe we shoudl have a meet up?!??!
Mim
Hi Mim

You've finally got a date then?! That's great. Would be good to meet up. PM me when you're settled.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

As always... anyone moving to Edmonton and wants to play football give me a shout!!!

I stalk people on here and get them to play

Seriously though, its a good way to meet people who are/have been in the same situation and help you get settled in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.