Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Edmonton?

Any Brits in Edmonton?

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Edmonton?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Exactly, so why join in?
Because I dislike Rugbys inbred superiority snobbery, having been forced to play it at Grammar school...at least until I was liberated by the option of Hockey in year 3. Can you imagine growing up near Liverpool (of all places) in the late 1970s/ early 80s, and being at a school that did NOT play footy? Bizarre.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 22nd 2008 at 7:21 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:22 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Because I dislike Rugbys inbred superiority snobbery, having been forced to play it at Grammar school...at least until I was liberated by the option of Hockey in year 3. Can you imagine growing up near Liverpool (of all places) in the late 1970s/ early 80s, and being at a school that did NOT play footy? Bizarre.
LOL
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
The head honchos probably didnt want to take a chance on the common thicky kids in those other schools beating us The most famous footy player my old school ever produced was Ray Stubbs FFS!

Last edited by iaink; Jul 22nd 2008 at 7:50 pm. Reason: Ray, not Alan....even worse.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:27 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

The head honchos probably didnt want to take a chance on the common thicky kids in those other schools beating us The most famous footy player my old school ever produced was Alan Stubbs FFS!
Yeah ok.
Like you said FFS.
My gripe though is having to play Cricket and Aussie Rules (yeah I spent 12-17 in Western Australia). I only watch Cricket to (hopefully) see the Aussies loose
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting back to the original thread.....

We're supposed to be arriving in Edmonton next month, although I'm still waiting for my LMO.
We'd be happy to meet up though. My wife and I are fairly young- 28- and we have 2 kids. One is 3 in November, the other just turned 1 in April.

Would live to hear your thoughts/experiences of Edmonton so far......
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...plaque_700.jpg

"Football" clearly predated the invention of Rugby....
Quality!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

nordyandsharpey is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly, so why join in?
My sentiments exactly. And why hijack a post that originally had very little to do with your ensuing arguments, entertaining though they may be.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nordyandsharpey
My sentiments exactly. And why hijack a post that originally had very little to do with your ensuing arguments, entertaining though they may be.
LOL,

I didnt actually hi-jack the thread. Merely made on off the cuff remark regarding the fact that amongst the MAJORITY population of Canada football refers to ponces in padding playing with an oval ball.

I was 'attacked' by Grah and 'defended' myself. It was then that the hi-jacking (if indeed there was any) started.

Regardless, hope you find somewhere to watch the (supposedly) british national game
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jericho
Getting back to the original thread.....

We're supposed to be arriving in Edmonton next month, although I'm still waiting for my LMO.
We'd be happy to meet up though. My wife and I are fairly young- 28- and we have 2 kids. One is 3 in November, the other just turned 1 in April.

Would live to hear your thoughts/experiences of Edmonton so far......
Hi there -
Good to here from you. Edmonton so far is pretty good though we are still adjusting. We are living in the southwest side which is really nice - I recommend living in the outer suburbs, the inner city looks pretty dire. Not dodgy necessarily, just a bit 'blah'. Mind you, I haven't toured it extensively, so there are probably nice bits too.

Things are marginally cheaper here, other than food though I think that's going up everywhere. The British love of queuing finally seems to have caught on here, but I think that's on account of huge shortages in the workforce. The accommodation is fantastic in terms of what you get for your money here, but then I am comparing it to where we lived in London. There are tons of huge parks and hiking/biking trails along the river and people so far have been really friendly...

We even found a fantastic Indian not to far from us. A bit pricey, but hey - a decent vindaloo is worth it.

Have you and your family found a place to live yet or are you waiting til you get here? There seems to be quite a bit for rent. We decided to rent for a year before buying, just to make sure that we definitely want to stay.

Hope everything goes smoothly with your move, especially with your little ones. Drop us a line when you get here - we'd love to meet up!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vikty
Me and my OH are looking into moving to Edmoton hopefully this year on a TWP. We are a youngish English couple with a 16 month old daughter. We should keep in touch, you can show us round when we get there

How you liking Edmonton, is it nice, we are in sunny Manchester at the moment, can't wait to leave.
Hiya,

Sorry for my late reply - we just had the in-laws over for a while so haven't been on much. We are liking Edmonton so far, though still get settled in. I am originally from Saskatchewan so I am a familiar with Edmonton, though I have just moved back to Canada after 10 years, so it seems to have changed quite a bit. My hubby is from Derbyshire, but he is liking it so far. Not sure how he'll feel when the winter sets in, but he's looking forward to doing a lot of skiing, so he'll probably cope just fine!

So far, it seems like it has been a good move, though we're missing friends and family. The accommodation, though it has gone up in price recently, is much better than what we could afford in London, and we have a lot more space for our daughter (who just started walking!) to run about. It would be great to meet up when you guys get here. Have you been here before or are you winging it? How are you finding the immigration process? Our stuff from the UK has just arrived, should be in Edmonton by Friday - so if it all arrives in good nick, I will pass on their details to you, if you are interested in finding a removals company?

Hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family, will definitely keep in touch!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice

Hiya,

Sorry for my late reply - we just had the in-laws over for a while so haven't been on much. We are liking Edmonton so far, though still get settled in. I am originally from Saskatchewan so I am a familiar with Edmonton, though I have just moved back to Canada after 10 years, so it seems to have changed quite a bit. My hubby is from Derbyshire, but he is liking it so far. Not sure how he'll feel when the winter sets in, but he's looking forward to doing a lot of skiing, so he'll probably cope just fine!

So far, it seems like it has been a good move, though we're missing friends and family. The accommodation, though it has gone up in price recently, is much better than what we could afford in London, and we have a lot more space for our daughter (who just started walking!) to run about. It would be great to meet up when you guys get here. Have you been here before or are you winging it? How are you finding the immigration process? Our stuff from the UK has just arrived, should be in Edmonton by Friday - so if it all arrives in good nick, I will pass on their details to you, if you are interested in finding a removals company?

Hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family, will definitely keep in touch!

Winging it completely. I was watching GMTV of all things, and the employment minister of Alberta was on there saying their short of people there and want Brits. I mentioned it to OH, he's wanted to move there since before he met me and was ecstatic that I was even considering it (UK is going down the toilet as far as I'm concerned). He's a Scaffolder, he's been wanting to move to Canada since before he met me.

He emailed a few companies just to see if there was much need for Scaffolders in Canada. Straight away he got offered a 2 year contract in Edmonton (apparently scaffolding is classed as carpentry over there)

They are going to apply for an E-LMO (much quicker than an LMO, it only takes 7 days) then we're good to go.

We have to wait a few weeks though, has to send off for a card to prove his quals, in the UK he just uses certificates cause the card costs money, but this company want the card.

Once he gets that they apply for the E-LMO and we're off. Its all happening so fast.

Its scary but exiting too. I'm terrified but I can't wait to get there.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

siwel is an unknown quantity at this point

Butch, you seem to change sports more often than you change your underpants. The Fifa World Cup has never been won by a country outside of Europe or South America. Australia, NZ and South Africa have all won the Rugby World cup, whilst India and Pakistan have both won the Cricket World Cup. However, none of these have ever won the FIFA World Cup and seeing that I mentioned 'Fifa' in my last post, I would have thought it would be fairly obvious what cup I was referring to. It does seem rather silly and pedantic to be getting into an argument over semantics.

Furthermore 'my dear boy', isn't it also rather presumptious of you to assume that I am male.....women can have an opinion on sport too you know!
WELL SAID !!
BRING IT ON .....LOL
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Nordy and Sharpey...

just sent you a private email... but i am english and in edmonton.. involved in FOOTBALL and we currently have 14 british lads on the team... (with british wives and girlfriends as well) aside from playing footy we have regular nights out for the brits and its a right laugh!

I sent my contact details to you if you want to get together for a pint or something

Danny
Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:43 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there -
Good to here from you. Edmonton so far is pretty good though we are still adjusting. We are living in the southwest side which is really nice - I recommend living in the outer suburbs, the inner city looks pretty dire. Not dodgy necessarily, just a bit 'blah'. Mind you, I haven't toured it extensively, so there are probably nice bits too.

Things are marginally cheaper here, other than food though I think that's going up everywhere. The British love of queuing finally seems to have caught on here, but I think that's on account of huge shortages in the workforce. The accommodation is fantastic in terms of what you get for your money here, but then I am comparing it to where we lived in London. There are tons of huge parks and hiking/biking trails along the river and people so far have been really friendly...

We even found a fantastic Indian not to far from us. A bit pricey, but hey - a decent vindaloo is worth it.

Have you and your family found a place to live yet or are you waiting til you get here? There seems to be quite a bit for rent. We decided to rent for a year before buying, just to make sure that we definitely want to stay.

Hope everything goes smoothly with your move, especially with your little ones. Drop us a line when you get here - we'd love to meet up!
Hi there- yeah we've found a house to rent in Sherwood Park. We leave the UK (Manchester) in 2 weeks!
Would love to meet up when we get there!
Cheers
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

There was never any snobbery with respect to rugby in wales - or any other other country apart from England - probably due to it being played by the working class.

JET

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.