Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Edmonton?

Any Brits in Edmonton?

Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

nordyandsharpey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Any Brits in Edmonton?

Hello...

We are a young(ish) English-Canadian couple who have just moved (about a month ago) to Edmonton with our one-year-old daughter. Just wondering if there are any other Brits in Edmonton who would be interested in meeting up for a pint/coffee/whatever! Our interests are football (sports generally), music, travel ... all the usual stuff. We're hoping to meet like-minded people for friendship and possibly to watch the football with when the new season starts!

Cheers!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:53 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Edmonton?

Originally Posted by nordyandsharpey
Hello...

We are a young(ish) English-Canadian couple who have just moved (about a month ago) to Edmonton with our one-year-old daughter. Just wondering if there are any other Brits in Edmonton who would be interested in meeting up for a pint/coffee/whatever! Our interests are football (sports generally), music, travel ... all the usual stuff. We're hoping to meet like-minded people for friendship and possibly to watch the football with when the new season starts!

Cheers!
Just so that you know the 'football' season has started, hockey season is the next to start
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:12 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Just so that you know the 'football' season has started, hockey season is the next to start
that's not foot ball thats catch - and if you look really closely you might be able to find some canadians playing.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:38 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
that's not foot ball thats catch - and if you look really closely you might be able to find some canadians playing.
Should we get technical and say that true football is now called Rugby and that in fact there are (in the 'english' speaking world alone) at least 5 'sports' which ay one point or another had the word football in there name.

1) Rugby Football
2) Association Football (as it was originally known)
3) Australian Rules Football
4) Canadian football
5) American Football

Further In SA, USA, Canada, NZ, Australia, PNG, Samoa, India, Pakistan, Singapore and Thailand Association Football is known as soccer (or some local 'patois' name). It is known as football only (to my knowledge) amongst brits and in the british isles (these of course constitutes 4 countries)

Over to you Grah
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Should we get technical and say that true football is now called Rugby and that in fact there are (in the 'english' speaking world alone) at least 5 'sports' which ay one point or another had the word football in there name.

1) Rugby Football
4) Canadian football
5) American Football

Further In SA, USA, Canada, NZ, Australia, PNG, Samoa, India, Pakistan, Singapore and Thailand Association Football is known as soccer (or some local 'patois' name). It is known as football only (to my knowledge) amongst brits and in the british isles (these of course constitutes 4 countries)

Over to you Grah
And the rest of Europe, South America etc. etc..get your facts right.

And if you want to get really technical it's their name not there name.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Hello...

Cheers!
Yes, me...I try and watch the Saturday morning game on Score or Sportsnet whichever is showing premier league.FOOTBALL.. Would be happy to meet up..my daughter will be here for 7 weeks at the beginning of July and she plays for Portsmouth FC Ladies, so will also be up for watching FOOTBALL.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Anyone got a good deal with Setanta on cable as the footie season is looming?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
And the rest of Europe, South America etc. etc..get your facts right.

And if you want to get really technical it's their name not there name.
actually Fußball in german
balompié in spanish
voetbal in dutch

Shall I carry on??
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

1) Rugby Football
4) Canadian football
5) American Football

Also Gaelic Football !!

JET
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

actually Fußball in german
balompié in spanish
voetbal in dutch

Shall I carry on??
Impressive...but it's still football the world over and soccer was an American bastardisation of the word aSSOCiAtion..Next please!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Impressive...but it's still football the world over and soccer was an American bastardisation of the word aSSOCiAtion..Next please!
The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863, and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as a slang abbreviation of the word "association", often credited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown.[47]

Taken from wiki.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863, and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as a slang abbreviation of the word "association", often credited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown.[47]

Taken from wiki.
Good comeback...fair enough I will give you that one..
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Taken from wiki.
Wow, thanks for the history lesson Butch. Bet your dinner parties are fascinating!

Tell you what, if any of the nations you mention (SA, USA, Canada, NZ, Australia, PNG, Samoa, India, Pakistan, Singapore or Thailand) ever win a World Cup, then I may consider calling it 'Soccer'. However, until that time comes I think I'll follow Fifa's lead and refer to it as 'football' as per their WORLD Cup website.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:01 am
Banned

Wow, thanks for the history lesson Butch. Bet your dinner parties are fascinating!

Tell you what, if any of the nations you mention (SA, USA, Canada, NZ, Australia, PNG, Samoa, India, Pakistan, Singapore or Thailand) ever win a World Cup, then I may consider calling it 'Soccer'. However, until that time comes I think I'll follow Fifa's lead and refer to it as 'football' as per their WORLD Cup website.
My dear boy,
SA, NZ and Australia have all won the World Cup.
I also believe, but could be wrong, that India and Pakistan have won the World Cup.

Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

My dear boy,
SA, NZ and Australia have all won the World Cup.
I also believe, but could be wrong, that India and Pakistan have won the World Cup.

Butch, you seem to change sports more often than you change your underpants. The Fifa World Cup has never been won by a country outside of Europe or South America. Australia, NZ and South Africa have all won the Rugby World cup, whilst India and Pakistan have both won the Cricket World Cup. However, none of these have ever won the FIFA World Cup and seeing that I mentioned 'Fifa' in my last post, I would have thought it would be fairly obvious what cup I was referring to. It does seem rather silly and pedantic to be getting into an argument over semantics.

Furthermore 'my dear boy', isn't it also rather presumptious of you to assume that I am male.....women can have an opinion on sport too you know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.