Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

who else is waiting to sell there house....

who else is waiting to sell there house....

Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:44 am
Just Joined

dgf72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: who else is waiting to sell there house....

Originally Posted by bundybell
Ive been in Bundaberg for 2months now and really liking it. Its rural and close to the beach work was easy to come by but then again i am a nurse. which by the way they love here.
work prospects for the young and unskilled not great loads of farm work though. lots of the youngsters go to the cities to train or for work.
House prices reasonable as they are on the up here too the papers reporting the average ozzie having trouble meeting mortgage payments interest rates just gone up another quater percent!!avergaing 8.20 %
we are having 4 bed 2 bath home-built on land we purchasd last year fro the sale of our UK house-for $280,000 pay back on that will be approx $500 wk $2000 month.

We are renting at the moment it cost us for a 4bed 2bath house $310 wk landlord pays rates and water rates lots of ozzies renting as cheaper. Ther is a real strong demand for rental properties out here as you can imagine.
Just thought id give you lot an insight into the house market here in oz.
o well back to my drink on the patio the sun is blazing and i have to go to work at 2pm.
Good luck everyone with the house sales
Teryna
I landed a full time job on my second day in Bundy. Working for Bundy Toyota (qualified mechanic). Bundy felt like a big retirement village to me. It's good at the weekends though, lots of places to go, camping or whatever, weather's always nice. I was there in 2001 and the government was giving $7000 grants to first time buyers! A three-bed Queenslander would cost <$50K back then! How is the Gold mining boom effecting Bundy? If it were not for the commodities boom I'd say Bundy house prices had a long way to fall.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thinking_about_it
Anyone selling now will be fine, if they take Most people have made hundreds of percent on UK property, dropping mere tens of percent still leaves huge profits.
The problem is that a rising tide floats all boats. Yes you've made hundreds of percent profit measured in paper money, BUT, the cost of everything else, including homes in nearly every developed nation on earth, have also risen. When you factor in the value of the £ against the AUS$ it makes it look far worse! When I was in Oz the £ was worth $2.80! It's $2.18 today!!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Bundaberg the land of Rum from south wales the land of song!
bundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nice

Originally Posted by dgf72
I landed a full time job on my second day in Bundy. Working for Bundy Toyota (qualified mechanic). Bundy felt like a big retirement village to me. It's good at the weekends though, lots of places to go, camping or whatever, weather's always nice. I was there in 2001 and the government was giving $7000 grants to first time buyers! A three-bed Queenslander would cost <$50K back then! How is the Gold mining boom effecting Bundy? If it were not for the commodities boom I'd say Bundy house prices had a long way to fall.
mining has taken some of the work force away which has made it difficult for youngsters to train in anything because theres no one left to train them. Good way of describing bundy a retirement village its definately a slower pace here ! My 2 kids feeling it a bit they are 19 and 22. Miss their friends and nightlife in Uk. im over on perm residemce so i can always move to somewhere else in Ozzie land
Teryna
Teryna
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bundybell
mining has taken some of the work force away which has made it difficult for youngsters to train in anything because theres no one left to train them. Good way of describing bundy a retirement village its definately a slower pace here ! My 2 kids feeling it a bit they are 19 and 22. Miss their friends and nightlife in Uk. im over on perm residemce so i can always move to somewhere else in Ozzie land
Teryna
Teryna
I found that most places outside of the major cities were socially very similar. We were in NSW for a while (Wagga Wagga). Very odd place. Beautiful countryside on your doorstep however.

More people come back than stay it seems.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

SinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave wood
weve had 2 viewings since aug 07.one nice couple offered 1/2 price after we had stayed in all morning and tidied everything away:curse: we have just changed agents and reduced £20 000 but thats as low as we're prepared to go.We are booked to go in june and will be going anyway whether sold or not.
I'm curious. Why do you think your house has some sort of minimum value? The high house prices of recent years have been fuelled by cheap and easy credit. Credit is not longer as cheap as it was and credit definitely isn't as easy as it was due to the credit crunch. It strikes me house prices are likely to return to where they were before the credit tap was turned by on the banks 5 or more years ago. If people cannot get the mortgage necessary to buy your house at the price you want, you won't get the price. I've watched economic cycles come and go for the last 60 years. I will be very surprised if house prices go up again in the next 10 years. Wages need to catch up and affordability needs to be more realistic.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

SinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really niceSinkingShip is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mairead
Jeez looks like we are all in the same boat. I have actually started going back to mass on Sundays. Please god oh please god let someone buy my house.
The house you so desperately don't want eh?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Our EA and another one we enquired with (thinking about changing) both said that during the year they see a hike in sales twice, the first increase is from mid March to mid April (over Easter) and also September / October. Fingers crossed for mid March to mid April.
The majority of houses in your road sold for some figure in the 300s during 2005. Interest rates are higher now. Why do you think your house is worth more than it was in 2005?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thinking_about_it
Anyone selling now will be fine, if they take a small hit. Most people have made hundreds of percent on UK property, dropping mere tens of percent still leaves huge profits.
I wish, we only bought 3 years ago and there has been practically no movement in the market near us. We won't be in negative equity but also won't make a profit.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I think i spot a troll
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

he must of got scammed off ea so wants everyone else too lose out

i dont understand people who come on looking for arguements???? WHY???

I would say go to the pub and pick a fight with some one but it sounds like he is a miserable old man esp watching the houseing market for 60 years lol

get a grip man we dont want to know what you think about the houseing market esp with negative attitude like yours.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SinkingShip
The house you so desperately don't want eh?
The house they don't want to live in anymore, yeah...

In case you haven't noticed most of us are plnning a pretty major relocation
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SinkingShip
The majority of houses in your road sold for some figure in the 300s during 2005. Interest rates are higher now. Why do you think your house is worth more than it was in 2005?
Where are you off to ???????

Last edited by Jasonmb; Mar 10th 2008 at 4:27 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gerry
lol yeah of course we would we know its hard to sell what we dont need is some one comeing on telling us were all going to lose out if we hang on.....

thats kinda of obvious if you just watch the market..

think they are just trying to upset people

its just like me going into immigration section and saying to all the newbies your not gonna get your visa because its getting harder to get into oz, yeah we know its hard to into oz but we dont blatantly rub it in peoples faces.

I know it's hard to hear this bad news at the time of you wanting to sell your house, but it's reality right now for you in the UK.

I have been investing in and out of property since the 80's and my advice, that's if you'd like it, would be this:-

Take a look at the comparable properties in your area, what are they listed at?? THEN, most importantly take a look at the land registry records what was the last comparable sold for?? OR take a look at www.propertysnake.com or co.uk one of those. You need to ascertain what the last comparable property sold for and when. If a comparable property was sold recently then you could place yours in a similiar margin to that one or less to sell quickly. IF a comparable sold but was a few months back then drop yours around 5k - 10k less. IF you want a quick sale and don't want to chase the market down then that's my advice. The market will start to decline v. quickly in the next 6 months, something like -15%, so hold on the for downward ride, it's coming.

Also, IF you can keep hold of your property and long term rent it out and don't need to sell then my advice is keep hold, for a long term investment. You never know you may want to return and at least you'll have a base to go back to.

I wish you all lots of luck and hope your dreams come true for you all.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:06 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Sadly I need to join this thread.
We are putting the (My OH's ) house on the market tomorrow.
We were going to rent to a nephew, planned for last 6 months but he dropped out 2 weeks ago, and we've (99% OH) been getting the place together for a sale since then, cos getting a rental agent and all that b*ll*x would make it renting it less sensible money-wise.

As the tickets are already booked, we're flying on 5th of May regardless.
Its going to be a stressful 8 weeks. No idea what we'll do if we dont get some nibbles.

But the estate agent seems optimistic. They've sold quite a few round here in the last 4 weeks, and we're in the ftb price range, so hopefully that will help.
We'll try the old drop it 5 grand after 2 weeks trick. Then another. Then we'll just have to get onto the rental agents and take the hit.

Oh yes, just found out we have to pay 2K for selling before July too.
I still hope we do tho!!

Good luck to everyone selling!!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CynOpt
Sadly I need to join this thread.
We are putting the (My OH's ) house on the market tomorrow.
We were going to rent to a nephew, planned for last 6 months but he dropped out 2 weeks ago, and we've (99% OH) been getting the place together for a sale since then, cos getting a rental agent and all that b*ll*x would make it renting it less sensible money-wise.

As the tickets are already booked, we're flying on 5th of May regardless.
Its going to be a stressful 8 weeks. No idea what we'll do if we dont get some nibbles.

But the estate agent seems optimistic. They've sold quite a few round here in the last 4 weeks, and we're in the ftb price range, so hopefully that will help.
We'll try the old drop it 5 grand after 2 weeks trick. Then another. Then we'll just have to get onto the rental agents and take the hit.

Oh yes, just found out we have to pay 2K for selling before July too.
I still hope we do tho!!

Good luck to everyone selling!!!
Good Luck with the sale, sounds promising if your EA has already sold a few, APPARENTLY Easter is a good time, there are quite a few of us with our fingers crossed for some viewers and sales over the next few weeks.

Reducing is a good idea, a lot of us have already done that, some more than once to try and entice some buyers out of the woodwork.

Fingers crossed

Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.