Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Little things I miss from Blighty

Wikiposts

Little things I miss from Blighty

Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little things I miss from Blighty

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I wasn't really referring to the conspicuous consumption angle. More the need to 'out macho', 'out sport', 'out travel' etc I find that a lot - often the attempt is so hopeless it's comic.
See what you mean. I always remember passing pubs in London and you'd hear a sort of mockney cockney competitive garble coming from them.

I suppose I don't like either - taken to extremes but I don't mind both at tolerable levels... I'm quite inclined to tell a story meself..especially if the joke is on me...

I'm of the opinion that there is a time and a place for everything, but in Cairns the time and the place might dictate endless bravado...

I think I tolerate alot of things because I have met an awful lot of colorful and interesting people...
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:12 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is certainly a lot of very obvious one-upmanship.

I miss blokes that don't constantly feel the need to big themselves up and aggressively compete on everything.

Not saying that all Aussie blokes are like this but there are one heck of a lot of them around...
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:18 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes there is certainly a lot of very obvious one-upmanship.
It's a bit like the driving thing. As though they're itching for a fight - whether verbal, physical or with bumpers. It is definitely quite a pervasive characteristic. Anthropologically it's probably something to do with the isolation of Oz, pioneer culture etc

To Badge - There are plenty of competitive twats in the UK but they don't stand out so much to me as I would be accustomed to that type of culture - seems to be more economic one upmanship there - I've got a porsche, cartier watch blah blah...More civilised? who can say...

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Sep 1st 2011 at 2:22 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:22 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I really have no idea what happens to people when they get behind the wheel of a car here, they become possessed. When I was in the UK recently I had to keep telling myself that the other driver was ushering me out not making a rude gesture

It's a bit like the driving thing. As though they're itching for a fight - whether verbal, physical or with bumpers. It is definitely quite a pervasive characteristic.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:26 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I saw/heard Blackbirds in Adelaide. Not seen them here, but the Butcher Bird is a pretty fine replacement :0)

I've got it down to two things now:

The sense of humour.
Walking dogs in English Woodland.

.....used to be 'Twiglets' there too, but Woolies sells them now

Jan
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Debs hubby:

Walikng along the river seven in mid summer looking for a good spot to drop a line in, god i miss my carp fishing.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:35 pm
Banned

Would that be the Severn ?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Debs hubby:

Thanks for the grammatics heads up, yeah it's the severn, but being a black country bloke we spake n spell difrant to yow lot
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Debs hubby:

Thanks for the grammatics heads up, yeah it's the severn, but being a black country bloke we spake n spell difrant to yow lot
Are you Noddy Holder?

yamyamyamyam . . . .
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I really have no idea what happens to people when they get behind the wheel of a car here, they become possessed. When I was in the UK recently I had to keep telling myself that the other driver was ushering me out not making a rude gesture
last time i went back to the UK I found the whole motorway 'flash your lights to let someone through' and the 'flick your hazards/indicators to say thanks' quite quirkly, but ultimately very polite and agreeable.
I generally felt I was less concerned about the other driver's pulling off some crazy manoevers to get past..
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debs hubby:

Hes our kid he aye gunna cum ere cus its to ot fower him.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Debs hubby:

Hes our kid he aye gunna cum ere cus its to ot fower him.
All posts on BE should be in English
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debs hubby:
Thats as english as most who post here thank yow very much
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit like the driving thing. As though they're itching for a fight - whether verbal, physical or with bumpers. It is definitely quite a pervasive characteristic. Anthropologically it's probably something to do with the isolation of Oz, pioneer culture etc

To Badge - There are plenty of competitive twats in the UK but they don't stand out so much to me as I would be accustomed to that type of culture - seems to be more economic one upmanship there - I've got a porsche, cartier watch blah blah...More civilised? who can say...
Know exactly what you mean.

But alot of these garbled mockney cockneys didn't have Porsches etc..(I actually preferred the 'pucker' true City variant, or, safer bloke who was rather more a gentleman. Get my drift?

My strength in liking Australia is that I can deal with all the urban money setting, and I can also deal with the country setting. Bizarrely, I have always been able to deal with characters that many - would find trying, difficult or incompatible with themselves. I have always associated with the extreme of society, but have not had much to do with the safe bit in the middle...

But also, ultimately, why I like Melbourne and where we live. Best of both worlds.

Here in Melbourne it is not that rare to get let in with someone flashing you, or even bidding thanks.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:54 pm
Banned

I could and did drive on the motorway at 100 MPH and generally not feel in any danger, driving at 100 KPH down the Gold Coast fills me with dread. Apparently though it makes perfect sense to be able to overtake and undertake and drive in whatever lane that takes your fancy at the time.

Originally Posted by In Exile
last time i went back to the UK I found the whole motorway 'flash your lights to let someone through' and the 'flick your hazards/indicators to say thanks' quite quirkly, but ultimately very polite and agreeable.
I generally felt I was less concerned about the other driver's pulling off some crazy manoevers to get past..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.