Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:28 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

Originally Posted by brido
If you discount the likes of Spain !?!?!?!?
Are you thick mate,its ABROAD/OVERSEAS how can you discount it.

Doughball

Throughout time British people have explored the planet,from North America to Africa and Australia.We as a people have shaped a lot of the world as we know it.
I agree you cant discount the likes of spain its a whole different country maybe not that far away but still abroad.

Most British people i have known have travelled a lot of europe been to america some to thailand and of course australia i think the brits are very well travelled.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Throughout time British people have explored the planet,from North America to Africa and Australia.We as a people have shaped a lot of the world as we know it.
'Shaped a lot of the world as we know it'. Funny choice of words. I think a more accurate description would be 'bled dry for our own ends', or 'brought about untold suffering whilst siphoning off vast amounts of mineral wealth', or 'invaded, murdered and colonised with utter indifference and disdain for the indigenous population's wellbeing.'

Rule Britannia.

Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

If you discount the likes of Spain !?!?!?!?
Are you thick mate,its ABROAD/OVERSEAS how can you discount it.
I think the point that the OP was making is that although many millions of Brits do visit Spain for many of them it's not a true visit to a foreign country. Yes they do physically arrive in Spain but they are then collected by a British tour guide, taken to a British owned hotel where the staff all speak English and they the spend the duration of their holiday frequenting British greasy spoons and British pubs. Many of them probably have hardly any contact with Spanish people during their whole trip. People who visit Spain on this sort of holiday haven't really increased their knowledge of different cultures etc as they haven't experienced any Spanish culture to speak of. What they have done is visit Blackpool in the sun.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:44 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
LOL - He should have pointed up and said 'Follow that plane'....
Thats what I would do
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=sdunx] [/quote=sdunx]

Considering that I picked the plants in our yard, yes I do know the names of them.
Just a little FYI for you...People from Canada's north are not called Eskimo anymore. They are Innu or First Nations. I also hardly think a person of Innu heritage with intellectual difficulties would know what any type of tree is, seeing how most people who live that far north are above the tree line in the Arctic. Read a book once in a while. They are a tremendous source of information.l

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 30th 2007 at 9:06 am. Reason: Quoted, now deleted, post removed
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:09 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Read a book once in a while. They are a tremendous source of information.l
then we wont have to go on about trees
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:16 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soapy
then we wont have to go on about trees
... or other pish.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Originally Posted by sdunx
I had an architect visit my house to design an extension, there was a tree in our garden which would need to be removed.

Under the tree were a load of seedpods obviously off the tree, I picked one up and said:

'What type of pod is this?'
Architect: 'They've fallen off that tree'
Me: 'Yes I know that but what is it called'
Architect: 'It's a turnip'
Me: 'So that would be a turnip tree then?'
Architect: 'Yeah mate, that's right, a turnip tree'

He wasn't taking the piss or having a laugh he was dead serious. Thick twat
Maybe he just didn't give a sh*t what type of tree it was and he was being sarcastic and you just didn't pick up on it.

As someone else said, Aussie's do have a dry sense of humour, maybe you'll develop one over time so you can join in with the jokes.

Last edited by LauraC; Jul 29th 2007 at 10:53 am.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:10 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=sdunx]

You're very aggressive for someone who has 8 posts

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 30th 2007 at 9:09 am. Reason: quoted, now deleted, post removed
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it strange that one type of person finds it funny/clever/smug to find the comments made by a few people of another nation beneath them. I find it patronising. I'm sure there are many people in the world who don't know what a turnip is, I don't find it pathetic that they don't know, I find it interesting and it makes me wonder what they know about stuff that I have no idea about. Makes me think. Obviously doesn't do the same for others. C'est la vie.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:17 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

... or other pish.
too late for that on this thread
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:18 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I find it strange that one type of person finds it funny/clever/smug to find the comments made by a few people of another nation beneath them. I find it patronising. I'm sure there are many people in the world who don't know what a turnip is, I don't find it pathetic that they don't know, I find it interesting and it makes me wonder what they know about stuff that I have no idea about. Makes me think. Obviously doesn't do the same for others. C'est la vie.
i just knew you would bite at this thread
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:08 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
You're very aggressive for someone who has 8 posts
There's nothing like jumping in head first up to the knees is there?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
There's nothing like jumping in head first up to the knees is there?
Well now we know where your head is!

Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

'Thick' and 'architect' don't go together.

)
I dont know about Aus but certainly some architects in the UK resmble that remark...you should see some of the things they expect you to build!

"An architect is a person who can fit anything in a space as long as his pencil is sharp enough....wether it can be made is purely immaterial"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.