Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

Originally Posted by yanH
I think the point that the OP was making is that although many millions of Brits do visit Spain for many of them it's not a true visit to a foreign country. Yes they do physically arrive in Spain but they are then collected by a British tour guide, taken to a British owned hotel where the staff all speak English and they the spend the duration of their holiday frequenting British greasy spoons and British pubs. Many of them probably have hardly any contact with Spanish people during their whole trip. People who visit Spain on this sort of holiday haven't really increased their knowledge of different cultures etc as they haven't experienced any Spanish culture to speak of. What they have done is visit Blackpool in the sun.
But why do so many of them seem to want to emmigrate to Australia?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdunx
I had an architect visit my house to design an extension, there was a tree in our garden which would need to be removed.

Under the tree were a load of seedpods obviously off the tree, I picked one up and said:

'What type of pod is this?'
Architect: 'They've fallen off that tree'
Me: 'Yes I know that but what is it called'
Architect: 'It's a turnip'
Me: 'So that would be a turnip tree then?'
Architect: 'Yeah mate, that's right, a turnip tree'

He wasn't taking the piss or having a laugh he was dead serious. Thick twat
He was making fun of both you and the situation.... you haven't been in Oz liong enough to realise that.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:54 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iPom
Oh well I've been busy (having a life and getting over a Cosmopolitan induced hangover).

I think you'll find someone got there much earlier than me about half way through the thread.
Even i didnt read the whole thread! LOL.

You'll get on well with my wife,she loves Cosmopolitans minus the hangovers!
I make a great one according to her.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:05 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
'Shaped a lot of the world as we know it'. Funny choice of words. I think a more accurate description would be 'bled dry for our own ends', or 'brought about untold suffering whilst siphoning off vast amounts of mineral wealth', or 'invaded, murdered and colonised with utter indifference and disdain for the indigenous population's wellbeing.'

Rule Britannia.

There's not a country around who's not guilty of any of that stuff,thats why we are not all under the one flag.
Should we ship out of Oz and go back to the various countries of Europe ect where we originated or just all head back to the African Continent where it all started.

Even they migrated across whats now Europe and slaughtered the primitive folk of that period in whats known as France.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Honestly, .

The vast majority of Aussies know that England and Scotland are separate countries for pete's sake, and that London is the capital of England.

I'm living in Portugal and all but one of my Aussie mates knew where it was. How many Brits could point to New Caledonia or Bali on the map? They are right on our doorstep but not on yours, so you'd be forgiven a little for getting it wrong.

These people are the exception in Australia. Why have you taken the time to single them out and then pretend like all of Australia is like this? :curse:

Originally Posted by brido
Heres a couple of conversation pieces we've had since we've been here with the Great Aussie intelectuals.

Aussie: What part of Ireland are you from?
My Wife:Im not, Im Scottish.
Aussie:Yeah but Scotlands in Ireland isnt it?
My Wife: No,its a separate country,Just as Englands seperate too.
Aussie: Yeah but isnt England in London? ...(There was more but at that point Julie switched off!)

Ive had the following with a mate at work,

Him : So your names not Scot,why do they call you Scotty
Me: No its Brian,they call me that because im Scottish.
Him: Ok, i thought you were English.
(Fair enough point)
Me: No im from Glasgow.
Him: Ok ...Is English your only language?
Me: Yes,what other language do you want me to speak?(i know theres Gaelic but he wouldnt know that so best left unsaid!)
Him: I though you spoke Latin.
Me: Latin,where am i? Ancient Rome?
Him: Its just that i saw Braveheart...
Me: Do you want me to paint my face blue then...

Later on he asked me if i wore clogs,and the other day i was asked where Portugal was.

If its not on their doorstop,they havent a clue.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 29th 2007 at 9:10 pm. Reason: language
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

I hired camping equipment and 4x4 to go round Fraser Island, Unfortunately there was no shovel that should have been supplied to dig your toilet pits with(!)

When I returned the equipment and complained to the guy he said, "Oh I know, we just reccommend you use the frying pan to dig your toilet pits with................................H e was English.......enough said
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:30 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
These people are the exception in Australia. Why have you taken the time to single them out and then pretend like all of Australia is like this? :curse:
Because they're more ignorant than the people they choose to insult....
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
How many Brits could point to New Caledonia or Bali on the map? They are right on our doorstep but not on yours, so you'd be forgiven a little for getting it wrong.
This is a very valid and fair point.

Geography was never my strong subject!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
He was making fun of both you and the situation.... you haven't been in Oz liong enough to realise that.
Sorry Copa, I'm from the UK the piss taking capital of the universe and this bloke wasn't having a laugh, he was sadly genuine.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point that the OP was making is that although many millions of Brits do visit Spain for many of them it's not a true visit to a foreign country. Yes they do physically arrive in Spain but they are then collected by a British tour guide, taken to a British owned hotel where the staff all speak English and they the spend the duration of their holiday frequenting British greasy spoons and British pubs. Many of them probably have hardly any contact with Spanish people during their whole trip. People who visit Spain on this sort of holiday haven't really increased their knowledge of different cultures etc as they haven't experienced any Spanish culture to speak of. What they have done is visit Blackpool in the sun.
Actually, I concede that many people might well travel to Spain to be enlightened and to enjoy as someone else said. And I'm not talking about their weight after being relieved of the contents of their stomachs after a long session.

It is admittedly very convenient and some of us might well be acused of seizing too quickly on this parody of British life, pointing the finger at the quote - great unwashed - unqoute departing Gatwick but I think most people here see my point.

Many countries have a great niche of people who travel and trust me, Australia has them too. Australians pop up all over the world. It is well documented.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Badge - can I rest your case
Don't mind if I do!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:55 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Got into a conversation with a local a while back;
Him: "Where are from originally?"
Me: "The UK, born in Rugby"
Him: "Oh, is that named after the game then?"

Explained that the game came from the public school & William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it etc and he flat did not believe me. To cap it all he follows Rugby here but obviously not aware of it's origins.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Got into a conversation with a local a while back;
Him: "Where are from originally?"
Me: "The UK, born in Rugby"
Him: "Oh, is that named after the game then?"

Explained that the game came from the public school & William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it etc and he flat did not believe me. To cap it all he follows Rugby here but obviously not aware of it's origins.
Dunno why you people hang out with such intellectual lowlifes.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:51 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same could be said for Bali too full of aussie pubs etc,
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by windog
But why do so many of them seem to want to emmigrate to Australia?
I came here because i thought it was cheap foolish me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.