Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:39 am
Banned

MICKY DANDAN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: List your chats with Australias finest intelectuals here.

Originally Posted by kez81
i think what it is with aussie's is there is alot of them never left australia in there life so they tend to not know much about other countries/cultures etc..

I worked with a aussie girl who claimed she'd been oversea's were to i asked?? Tasmania she said
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:51 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HCJ
Intellectuals. Glass houses, stones, etc.
you waited all this time to post that?

now, thats clever
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:16 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kez81
i think what it is with aussie's is there is alot of them never left australia in there life so they tend to not know much about other countries/cultures etc..

I worked with a aussie girl who claimed she'd been oversea's were to i asked?? Tasmania she said
ROFFPMSL!!!

If the average Aussie saw The Waltons on tv they'd think it was about 'City Folk'
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:21 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
ROFFPMSL!!!

If the average Aussie saw The Waltons on tv they'd think it was about 'City Folk'
now you have taken it too far

watched 6/3 last night mate faf, i tell ya
if u want them, just nip over and ill gee yae it
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:25 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by soapy
now you have taken it too far

watched 6/3 last night mate faf, i tell ya
if u want them, just nip over and ill gee yae it
Morning mate,i might just do that later as we'll be out and about shopping for more furniture,will call you either way.
Spoke to my maw last week and she said ep 2 was brilliant,didnt say what it was about thou so not to spoil it for us!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:28 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by brido
Morning mate,i might just do that later as we'll be out and about shopping for more furniture,will call you either way.
Spoke to my maw last week and she said ep 2 was brilliant,didnt say what it was about thou so not to spoil it for us!
i will be in all day mate as we are packin for port douglas, so see ya later
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:35 am
Work to Live!

When are you away?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac
When going for rehab at the local hospital, I missed the hospital bus. You have to phone and pre-book it. The driver then telephoned the hospital to say I would either be late or absent as I hadn't turned up. Because of my illness, I wasn't allowed to drive (but was sneakily doing so) so when I turn up on time with my car keys rattling in my hand, my physio asks me "how did you get here on time (rather suspiciously)" I replied quite sarcastically "my chauffeur dropped me off." "Oh, thats OK then" says she. FFS, my keys are jingling in my hand. "Where is he then" she asked. No flies on this sherlock. "He's away to the canteen to have a coffee" says I, doing all I can not to laugh too loudly in her direction. "Right thats fine then, lets get started".
I realise you're telling a funny story here and it was far-fetched of him to *apparently* believe every last word - but surely this is not an Australian thing. To me, this is an example of what I called disingenuity in some of the stories here - especially if you are trying to say that Australians are stupid.

To be honest, If I was in his shoes, I'd ask the question and just have to take the answer. After you, all it's you, that's the person driving, and lying and being cheeky about it.

Remember in work situations often people frankly don't want to confront someone and will look for a diplomatic way out of something and just being seen to ask questions is enough for due diligence. If you have an accident he can claim to have in some shape of form reminded you or questioned you about it even though it's probably otherwise no skin of his nose and he sees tens of people a day.

Not having a go, just pointing out that people like to tell tales as if they are proof of some national malaise...(!) we've all lied between our teeth to people doing their job as we know they have no comeback or jurisdiction. Very few people actually do....thank God, or most of us would be in the courts.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Stupid people are everywhere.

My personal favourites -

Standing in a queue in A&E (In England)
Receptionist - "Can you fill this form in please."
Chav girl (having managed to write her name) - "What's occupation?"

In the U.S

Receptionist at camp site (looking at our passports) - "Which country are you from?"
My husband - "England".
Receptionist - "Holland, ok"
The reality is that there are millions of thick, inexperienced, or stupid people in Australia. The problem with some migrants is that they set up shop in the heartlands of the Australian areas where these people live. How clever is that?

But there are also thousands of well travelled Australians - infact probably out of all proportion to population, when you consider the relative difficulty of mobility. In fact, it you discount the likes of Spain, millions of Brits have never gone overseas either.

All our Australian friends go overseas regularly or have done so.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

I had an architect visit my house to design an extension, there was a tree in our garden which would need to be removed.

Under the tree were a load of seedpods obviously off the tree, I picked one up and said:

'What type of pod is this?'
Architect: 'They've fallen off that tree'
Me: 'Yes I know that but what is it called'
Architect: 'It's a turnip'
Me: 'So that would be a turnip tree then?'
Architect: 'Yeah mate, that's right, a turnip tree'

He wasn't taking the piss or having a laugh he was dead serious. Thick t**t

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 29th 2007 at 8:59 pm. Reason: Language
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdunx
I had an architect visit my house to design an extension, there was a tree in our garden which would need to be removed.

Under the tree were a load of seedpods obviously off the tree, I picked one up and said:

He wasn't taking the piss or having a laugh he was dead serious.
Maybe because he was an architect and not an arborist he didn't know the answer. The tree was in your yard, so why did you not know what kind of tree it was?

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 29th 2007 at 8:59 pm. Reason: Language in quoted post
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a great conversation about aboriginal issues the other day with my friend Maddy... She's Australian.

Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:59 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by iPom
I had a great conversation about aboriginal issues the other day with my friend Maddy... She's Australian.

your just looking for a fight
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sdunx

He wasn't taking the piss or having a laugh he was dead serious.

'Thick' and 'architect' don't go together.

This is a prime example of very dry Aussie humour. You just didn't get it.

On the other hand, it's made me laugh like a drain. Oh dear, that's funny.

(don't know anything about drains, I'm not a plumber)

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 29th 2007 at 9:00 pm. Reason: Language in quoted post
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soapy
your just looking for a fight

Look out for my next thread entitled 'List your chats with Australias (no apostrophe) finest intelectuals (spelt wrongly) on BE'

It'll be a blinder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.