Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Let's just cut the crap and have a good row

Let's just cut the crap and have a good row

Old Aug 21st 2004, 1:50 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's just cut the crap and have a good row

jeez, Ray really knows how to throw the insults doesnt he???

you still in the uni library bundy?

sue
Old Aug 21st 2004, 2:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray6
What are you going to do for a face when the monkey wants his ass back?
That's a good one...

though it can be unfair to the monkeys
Old Aug 21st 2004, 3:01 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Took my eldest kid swimming again this morning. He's getting pretty good - not bad for 3 years 8 months. He can do a very effective doggy paddle for about 4 metres, only thing is that's with his face down in the water not taking a breath.Hopefully if he fell in a lake/ canal etc he could get to the side.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 3:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Don
Took my eldest kid swimming again this morning. He's getting pretty good - not bad for 3 years 8 months. He can do a very effective doggy paddle for about 4 metres, only thing is that's with his face down in the water not taking a breath.Hopefully if he fell in a lake/ canal etc he could get to the side.
Nice
I had a mate that couldn't swim but when he saw us guys swimming thought it was a piece of piss so jumped in, sank like a rock and almost drowned *l*
Old Aug 21st 2004, 4:02 am
Don
Banned

He can dive for pebbles, too - being buoyant you have to push him down the bottom but he's very cool about retrieving stuff.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 4:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

He can dive for pebbles, too - being buoyant you have to push him down the bottom but he's very cool about retrieving stuff.
Yeah, mate didn't see the funny side of things, neither did we after we finally bothered to dive in and try pull his fat arse out of the water
Old Aug 21st 2004, 4:29 am
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by bobz
Yeah, mate didn't see the funny side of things, neither did we after we finally bothered to dive in and try pull his fat arse out of the water
Actually what got us worried was our 3 weeks in Thailand this year in spring. My boy had something of a deathwish, ie he would jump into the 2 metre deep hotel pool despite no swimming ability and expect daddy to rescue him.

So as soon as we got back home: swimming lessons 3 times a week plus outings to the pool with dad.

We also just bought the adjoining house to our weekend dacha, which has a swimming pool - first thing I will do when we take possession in October is erect a proper poolside toddler-proof fence á la Aus/ NZ model.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 4:34 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

they all do that at first

what you really need to teach him is to do a 'starfish' on his back (like a star jump) - then if he's ever in trouble he will automatically get into that position
Old Aug 21st 2004, 4:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Actually what got us worried was our 3 weeks in Thailand this year in spring. My boy had something of a deathwish, ie he would jump into the 2 metre deep hotel pool despite no swimming ability and expect daddy to rescue him.
That's how my brother was taught to swim, just thrown in the pool and either figure it out and swim or drown *l*
It worked...
Old Aug 21st 2004, 4:38 am
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by xabiachica
they all do that at first

what you really need to teach him is to do a 'starfish' on his back (like a star jump) - then if he's ever in trouble he will automatically get into that position
Tell me more. Is that floating on his back?
Old Aug 21st 2004, 4:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me more. Is that floating on his back?

exactly - floating on his back with arms & legs outstretched forming an X type shape, like this

to help him, just support his head & get him to look straight up at the sky - you'll be amazed how quickly he'll learn.

My girls have been swimming since babyhood, yet still, if my 5 year old gets a bit tired in the deep end - I just yell 'STARFISH' and she gets into the position until she recovers
Attached Thumbnails Let's just cut the crap and have a good row-star-jump.jpg  
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:18 am
Don
Banned

exactly - floating on his back with arms & legs outstretched forming an X type shape, like this

to help him, just support his head & get him to look straight up at the sky - you'll be amazed how quickly he'll learn.

My girls have been swimming since babyhood, yet still, if my 5 year old gets a bit tired in the deep end - I just yell 'STARFISH' and she gets into the position until she recovers
Cheers, XC, and how young did your kids start (really) swimming?
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:34 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Cheers, XC, and how young did your kids start (really) swimming?
Really really swimming - the youngest was about 3 1/2 - but we had our own pool by then so that helped - she could do about 10m with a sort of breast stroke (good arms - dodgy legs). Now at just 5 she's trying her arms at backstroke, though she still prefers to swim under water.
My 8 year old was about 4 - I know she was swimming before she started school at 4yrs 2mths. She had lessons in the local pool in UK. This summer she's learned to dive in our pool & has been glued to the diving at the Olympics.
We say 'tienen los pies como patos'
IMO - teaching your child to swim is sooooooo important. I have been teaching the children of some of our friends this summer - I tend to 'push' them to do things that their parents might not, and they'll usually do things for someone else that they won't do for their parents.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:56 am
Don
Banned

We say 'tienen los pies como patos'
That Ian Thorpe has got BIG patos.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 8:01 am
¿Dónde estoy?

That Ian Thorpe has got BIG patos.

big ducks???
what does he do with them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.