Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Wikiposts

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:35 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Thankyou. That was the point i was trying to make, but not as good as you
well, I agree with you...but at the same time, I wouldn't say that the choice available in Aus supermarkets is bad at all.

I'm positive that any meal, ANY meal that you want to make, you can buy the ingredients here, just like you could back home....
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

for anybody that may be interested in this sort of thing....
popped into coles on way home and paid a bit of attention.

they had;
jaffa cakes, proper ones, labeled for croatia or something but made in uk and exactly the same as mcvities.
cross and blackwell piccalilli.
bachelor mushy peas and another brand i forget.
fine and rough walkers oatcakes.
ambrosia custard.
birds custard powder.
golden shred marmalade fine shred.
my mate, supposedly marmite?
those syrupy dutch biscuits that go all nice when you sit them on your coffee cup.
branston pickle.
walkers shortbread.
bonne maman jam.
there was other expattie type of stuff but can't recall.

should point out that this post is not to support the range of choice in aussie supermarkets, more to let people know where you can pick up some stuff you may crave.

apology for flea, the only fromage frais in stock today were 3 different flavoured desert style ones but no plain
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Ah ok - so now we've got a bit of classic goal post relocation. The whole choice thing's been shown to be, ermmm, false so now we're on to quality.

No - you're absolutely right - you can't compare M&S and Waitrose to Coles and Woolies. But then you can't compare Tescos or Asda to Waitrose and M&S either and it's the former that the vast majority of the British population shop in, not the latter. And, ready-meal scarcity aside, Woolies and Coles is every bit as good as Tescos or Sainsburys.

I used to love both M&S and Waitrose but unless you're on serious wonga, or with no kids to feed, who could afford to shop in either supermarket on a daily basis? If I was that minted then I'd pick up all my groceries in the food hall at David Jones.
Is there a David Jones near you ? Only one I knew was in W'gong.

Last edited by Olibeneli; Oct 15th 2008 at 8:51 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Woolies and Coles is every bit as good as Tescos or Sainsburys.
Yes and International Roast coffee powder is every bit as good as an espresso at Starbucks!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
for anybody that may be interested in this sort of thing....
popped into coles on way home and paid a bit of attention.

they had;
jaffa cakes, proper ones, labeled for croatia or something but made in uk and exactly the same as mcvities.
cross and blackwell piccalilli.
bachelor mushy peas and another brand i forget.
fine and rough walkers oatcakes.
ambrosia custard.
birds custard powder.
golden shred marmalade fine shred.
my mate, supposedly marmite?
those syrupy dutch biscuits that go all nice when you sit them on your coffee cup.
branston pickle.
walkers shortbread.
bonne maman jam.
there was other expattie type of stuff but can't recall.

should point out that this post is not to support the range of choice in aussie supermarkets, more to let people know where you can pick up some stuff you may crave.

apology for flea, the only fromage frais in stock today were 3 different flavoured desert style ones but no plain
Well make the most of it because these are probably the first things they will cut out.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by backagen
Well make the most of it because these are probably the first things they will cut out.
personally doesn't bother me but i realise it will some folks
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

... and having said that, I have just come across this story.

http://www.insideretailing.com.au/ar...articleId=3841

...so maybe there's some hope yet. Let's hope one of the 'retailing concepts' they 'try out' is to actually INCREASE the range. THAT would be one way of attracting some of the customers away from the (very limited) competition.

What really needs to happen in Australia though is for the government to find ways to more actively encourage and facilitate more competition in the grocery retail sector because that would lead to more aggressive pricing and 'REAL' promotional activity, and probably to more choice as well because if one chain was offering a better choice than another, people would tend to go where the choice was which would force the other chains to increase their range too.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Is there a David Jones near you ? Only one I knew was in W'gong.
no food hall in that one, that's for sure.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

The missus just cacked herself at this one and she is Australian.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by backagen
... and having said that, I have just come across this story.

http://www.insideretailing.com.au/ar...articleId=3841

...so maybe there's some hope yet. Let's hope one of the 'retailing concepts' they 'try out' is to actually INCREASE the range. THAT would be one way of attracting some of the customers away from the (very limited) competition.

What really needs to happen in Australia though is for the government to find ways to more actively encourage and facilitate more competition in the grocery retail sector because that would lead to more aggressive pricing and 'REAL' promotional activity, and probably to more choice as well because if one chain was offering a better choice than another, people would tend to go where the choice was which would force the other chains to increase their range too.

interesting. i have no problems with what you can buy here but some more real players in the game would be great. however, i personally don't want the uk supermarket system as is, here, for a variety of reasons. uk supermarkets are seen here by some as some sort of consumer charity organisation. fact is they manipulate the consumer with the greatest of ease, ready meals the perfect example with average food you could knock out at home for a fraction of the cost. ( sorry flea, its my pet hate!)also the opening hours. i love the fact that there are no 24 hr tesco type stuff here, that is a bad, bad thing imo. people forget that the only concern of these places is making bucks. your bucks. and wiping out all competitors with the ultimate aim of supermarket world domination
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by manc1

not tescos but sainsburys are crap. much better stuff in asda for much less. i abhor sainsburys.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manc1

I think Hutch's closet supermarket is an IGA, about the size of an average garage, in Berry, so he's probably a bit lost in this thread

Mines not much better though... its an IGA but twice as big... wooo hooo

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Oct 15th 2008 at 9:55 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm crossing my fingers for a Costco in Brisbane (preferably on the south side!).

I know it's been asked already but does anyone know which cities are getting Costco's?
This question has probably been answered elsewhere (but I've not got that far yet), but the rumour is that Loganholme will be the home of Brisbane's first Costco
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:18 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tictac
This question has probably been answered elsewhere (but I've not got that far yet), but the rumour is that Loganholme will be the home of Brisbane's first Costco
Loganholme would be very handy! Hope it happens!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, looks like it will be the hyperdome in Loganholme.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...4-3102,00.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.