Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Wikiposts

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:09 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

back on topic, I saw that Coles were doing a trial in Vic in about 6 of thier shops- reducing choice of products and reducing amount of special offers and if it is well recieved they will continue with other shops.
Cant see that anyone will notice the reduction of special offers as am yet to see anything 'special' about them. I have dealt with the fact that the Uk shops are far better and so dont get too stressed about not being able to buy everything I used to love now I'm here, but I DO still miss the B.O.G.O.F desparately - haven't seen anything that comes close here.
I think people concentrate too much on the wrong aspect of shop pricing- instead of their weekly half-a-dozen feeble price reductions, we should be watching the price increases! TIm Tams were $1.99 last year now $2.70 and Cheese increases are getting out of hand at the moment. I'd like to see them forced publish thier price increases that would be a little more interesting to recieve in the letterbox each week.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Woolies (Safeway) had B2GOF on English Recipe Baked Beans the other day.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
The bogan neighbourhood thing per chance?

FWIW i happen to know the area grayling lives and it's one of the pricier suburbs in bris.
Didn't realise that calling Brissy bogan was an insult. But still - hardly the worst thing I've said to anyone on these forums.

P.S. I'm thoroughly enjoying the deafening silence from the there's more choice in uk superdoopermarkets brigade. Lists come in very handy when you're busy proving someone's talking out of their arse.

Last edited by Hutch; Oct 15th 2008 at 1:30 pm. Reason: i before e except after c
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Didn't realise that calling Brissy bogan was an insult. But still - hardly the worst thing I've said to anyone on these forums.

P.S. I'm thoroughly enjoying the deafening silence from the there's more choice in uk superdoopermarkets brigade. Lists come in very handy when you're busy proving someone's talking out of the arse.
I prefer quality rather than quantity. You can't really compare Coles and Woolies with M & S Food and Waitrose.

So in Oz I avoid supermarkets altogether and just shop direct and local. You get much better quality but you do have to pay a little extra.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:42 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I prefer quality rather than quantity. You can't really compare Coles and Woolies with M & S Food and Waitrose.

So in Oz I avoid supermarkets altogether and just shop direct and local. You get much better quality but you do have to pay a little extra.
Ah ok - so now we've got a bit of classic goal post relocation. The whole choice thing's been shown to be, ermmm, false so now we're on to quality.

No - you're absolutely right - you can't compare M&S and Waitrose to Coles and Woolies. But then you can't compare Tescos or Asda to Waitrose and M&S either and it's the former that the vast majority of the British population shop in, not the latter. And, ready-meal scarcity aside, Woolies and Coles is every bit as good as Tescos or Sainsburys.

I used to love both M&S and Waitrose but unless you're on serious wonga, or with no kids to feed, who could afford to shop in either supermarket on a daily basis? If I was that minted then I'd pick up all my groceries in the food hall at David Jones.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah ok - so now we've got a bit of classic goal post relocation. The whole choice thing's been shown to be, ermmm, false so now we're on to quality.

No - you're absolutely right - you can't compare M&S and Waitrose to Coles and Woolies. But then you can't compare Tescos or Asda to Waitrose and M&S either and it's the former that the vast majority of the British population shop in, not the latter. And, ready-meal scarcity aside, Woolies and Coles is every bit as good as Tescos or Sainsburys.

I used to love both M&S and Waitrose but unless you're on serious wonga, or with no kids to feed, who could afford to shop in either supermarket on a daily basis? If I was that minted then I'd pick up all my groceries in the food hall at David Jones.
No goal posts have been moved by me. I haven't said there is less choice in Oz. I have just said I prefer to buy better quailty stuff so I avoid the supermarkets.

P.s. I don't have kids and never intend to. So I suppose I will just spend my hard earned cash on quality food from David Jones.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

not to mention that because of the power uk suppies have, they have all but wiped out the local butcher, grocer etc where the quality of produce is superior to ANY of the uk suppies.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:56 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
No goal posts have been moved by me. I haven't said there is less choice in Oz. I have just said I prefer to buy better quailty stuff so I avoid the supermarkets.

P.s. I don't have kids and never intend to. So I suppose I will just spend my hard earned cash on quality food from David Jones.
lol fair enough - in your shoes I'd do exactly the same.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
not to mention that because of the power uk suppies have, they have all but wiped out the local butcher, grocer etc where the quality of produce is superior to ANY of the uk suppies.
very true... i'd rather have coles and woollies and the independant butchers, bakers etc than a tesco-like one stop shop
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

If I was that minted then I'd pick up all my groceries in the food hall at David Jones.
David Jones has a food hall ?!

Where?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:42 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. I'm thoroughly enjoying the deafening silence from the there's more choice in uk superdoopermarkets brigade. Lists come in very handy when you're busy proving someone's talking out of their arse.
Actually not so Hutch. Although it was not me who referred to sauces, I am happy to address your query.
I just logged into Tesco online shopping (had to sign up but what the hell)

You will find the list you provided pretty piss poor in comparison. Not just for the limited style of sauces on offer in this country, the the huge range of different cuisine choices.
I am not going to waste half my afternoon cutting and pasting page after page of lists, but anyone who can really be bothered can pop in and check the vailidity if they want to.

I am in the same camp as Notts Bloke. I dont have a truck load of kids to feed. Like him I like good quality food (when i am not eating the demonised ready meal )
In fact I DO shop at David Jones here. Thats where I have been today. Even though their range is still limited in comparison to M&S and Waitrose!

I am a foodie. I rarely drink, dont smoke anymore, dont do drugs (ok ok i am rattling with them at the moment but they are prescribed ones lol ) Picking out and finding the kind of quality food i enjoy is hard work here. That what I have found and thats all i can compare with, and i live in the heart of Sydney, so i am not in some hick backwater.

I find it quite astounding how aggressive and bullyish some posters are on this subject.And that is what I was finding so amusing yesterday. Insisting that because one person does not enjoy, like or want the same foods and products that THEY do then somehow they are inferior, to be scorned at or considered somehow lacking because of it. I dont give a shit that someone is in WA and can find a cumberland sausage. I cant! I also dont give a shit that someone else likes the food here.
I dont generally like AUssie supermarkets, I dont believe Aussie food is good value and i dont believe they come close compared to UK choices.

The comparisons ARE on the internet. We are all grown ups and know how to use a mouse go take a look for yourself. Just because you paste a one page list from Woolies doesnt mean you are more right. You will find you are not if you go log on.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

It's not! Fairly spot on actually but you did refer to Grayling's "bogan neighbourhood you've clearly settled in" before you remembered he lived in Brisbane!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Actually not so Hutch. Although it was not me who referred to sauces, I am happy to address your query.
I just logged into Tesco online shopping (had to sign up but what the hell)

You will find the list you provided pretty piss poor in comparison. Not just for the limited style of sauces on offer in this country, the the huge range of different cuisine choices.
I am not going to waste half my afternoon cutting and pasting page after page of lists, but anyone who can really be bothered can pop in and check the vailidity if they want to.

I am in the same camp as Notts Bloke. I dont have a truck load of kids to feed. Like him I like good quality food (when i am not eating the demonised ready meal )
In fact I DO shop at David Jones here. Thats where I have been today. Even though their range is still limited in comparison to M&S and Waitrose!

I am a foodie. I rarely drink, dont smoke anymore, dont do drugs (ok ok i am rattling with them at the moment but they are prescribed ones lol ) Picking out and finding the kind of quality food i enjoy is hard work here. That what I have found and thats all i can compare with, and i live in the heart of Sydney, so i am not in some hick backwater.

I find it quite astounding how aggressive and bullyish some posters are on this subject.And that is what I was finding so amusing yesterday. Insisting that because one person does not enjoy, like or want the same foods and products that THEY do then somehow they are inferior, to be scorned at or considered somehow lacking because of it. I dont give a shit that someone is in WA and can find a cumberland sausage. I cant! I also dont give a shit that someone else likes the food here.
I dont generally like AUssie supermarkets, I dont believe Aussie food is good value and i dont believe they come close compared to UK choices.

The comparisons ARE on the internet. We are all grown ups and know how to use a mouse go take a look for yourself. Just because you paste a one page list from Woolies doesnt mean you are more right. You will find you are not if you go log on.
don't recall anyone saying you were inferior. if you tell someone smoking is bad for you, it is not a personal put down, merely a well known and unrefutable fact. same with junk food really.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first got here I thought the supermarkets were rubbish... don't seem to notice so much now. Does that mean that they have improved or I have just 'dumbed down'?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:06 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
When I first got here I thought the supermarkets were rubbish... don't seem to notice so much now. Does that mean that they have improved or I have just 'dumbed down'?
Dumbed down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.