Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Wikiposts

If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

[I[/I]http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...750073234.html

"COLES is to slash the number of products shoppers have to choose from by almost a third.

The supermarket group has launched a high-risk trial to cut its lines by 30 per cent, marking a drastic shift away from offering shoppers a wide variety of choice to limited ranges.

It is also likely to cut the number of weekly discounts and catalogue promotions it offers shoppers and to increase the number of private or own-label products it sells by up to 20 per cent. An average Australian supermarket carries 20,000 lines.

The changes are aimed at boosting the profits of the business, which was sold to the Perth-based conglomerate Wesfarmers late last year."

:curse:

Nice. Just to screw customers when they are already finding cost of living tough.

Like these mongrels don't make enough cash already in the duopoly they're allowed to operate with Woolies! ACCC where the hell are you?!!!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Great! something to look forward to

Not that there were much choice anyway, what a strange thing to do.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:47 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you think the choice is Aus supermarkets is pants (and expensive) now ........

Think I've shopped in Coles, ermm, twice in the two years we've been here. Pretty much everywhere I've been you get Coles and Woolies cheek by jowl, so if the range is shit, walk across the road. And anyway - with Aldis expanding and Costco arriving, both of the aforementioned dinosaurs are in for a kick in the ballsack.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Think I've shopped in Coles, ermm, twice in the two years we've been here. Pretty much everywhere I've been you get Coles and Woolies cheek by jowl, so if the range is shit, walk across the road. And anyway - with Aldis expanding and Costco arriving, both of the aforementioned dinosaurs are in for a kick in the ballsack.
Oh I do hope so! Unfortunately we don't have either of those in our area but hopefully we will get one or the other.

p.s. this is going to sound very weird but i had a dream about you last night!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:55 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
[I[/I]http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...750073234.html

"COLES is to slash the number of products shoppers have to choose from by almost a third.

The supermarket group has launched a high-risk trial to cut its lines by 30 per cent, marking a drastic shift away from offering shoppers a wide variety of choice to limited ranges.

It is also likely to cut the number of weekly discounts and catalogue promotions it offers shoppers and to increase the number of private or own-label products it sells by up to 20 per cent. An average Australian supermarket carries 20,000 lines.

The changes are aimed at boosting the profits of the business, which was sold to the Perth-based conglomerate Wesfarmers late last year."

:curse:

Nice. Just to screw customers when they are already finding cost of living tough.

Like these mongrels don't make enough cash already in the duopoly they're allowed to operate with Woolies! ACCC where the hell are you?!!!!!!
Wesfarmers put a Brit in charge. Ex halfords person.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:57 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

nice one costco's spot on Dougie
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by IvanM
Wesfarmers put a Brit in charge. Ex halfords person.
Well he's a knob, whatever nationality he is!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:02 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

FFS! And I was just thinking the other day that Coles seemed to have quite a good selection these days...
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:10 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's great. By reducing the level of SKU's it becomes cheaper for them to manage.

What the plonkers fail to see is, by lowering choice in an already over inflated price business, they just piss their customers off more until they go elsewhere.

Like Aldi

I used to only shop in Woolies and Coles but since Aldi came along and I saw they treated their customers fairly with regards to prices and quality, I decided to vote with my feet and do my main shop at Aldi and just get my other bits elsewhere. And I've saved money

Coles and Woolies have had their day - it's time Aldi and Costco and others like them come in and whooped their arse .....and served them right:curse:

I rarely go to the two big robin barsteward shops anymore and it feels great to shaft them like they have me all these years
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Oh I do hope so! Unfortunately we don't have either of those in our area but hopefully we will get one or the other.

p.s. this is going to sound very weird but i had a dream about you last night!
lol! Not a nightmare I hope!

As to those supermarkets - Aldi are expanding all over the country and Costco plan to open five stores in the major hubs here in Oz within the next 12 months - the first is already being built in Melbourne.

I think the 'pile it high watch it fly' style of shops are great. I used to belong to Makro in the UK and every month we'd go there and stock up on non-perishables. We found that by shopping in places like Makro we could buy our fresh food in the small local shops and bypass the supermarkets completely.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:14 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

lol! Not a nightmare I hope!

As to those supermarkets - Aldi are expanding all over the country and Costco plan to open five stores in the major hubs here in Oz within the next 12 months - the first is already being built in Melbourne.

I think the 'pile it high watch it fly' style of shops are great. I used to belong to Makro in the UK and every month we'd go there and stock up on non-perishables. We found that by shopping in places like Makro we could buy our fresh food in the small local shops and bypass the supermarkets completely.
Exactly....me too

Do you know where else Costco are building? I heard Melbourne but not sure where else or when?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:17 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Is Aldi or Costco coming to perth any time soon?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:28 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
why don't you drop an email to Aldi and ask them?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Newly built supermarket down the road from me.............it's going to be Woolies. Why though, there are loads of them already.
We want an Aldi in Perth, not more Woolworths or bloody Coles

I don't think there is an Aldi anywhere in Perth.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:38 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

For gods sake!! :curse:

Having just come back from blighty recently, I was only saying to OH the other day how depressing i find it going to the supermarkets here. I feel a bit of a spoilt brat having got used to a vast array of good quality broad range foods to choose from.
Even though I am sick, I am more off food altogether now i am back.
Ingedients here are crap and the cheapest you can get away with. Unless you are really into pasta and tomato sauces little imagination is put into creating foods that are quick and easy. I HATE tomato sauces!!!

Because I was only feeding myself when in UK, i found it a sheer delight to go into Tescos and be able to choose from such freshly prepared delights as,

spiced morrocan meatballs with couscous and yoghurt dressing.
Gourmet fish pie with huge chunks of salmon and prawns
Thai fish cakes in lemon and dill sauce
Fresh paella with mussels, huge chunks of prawns, chicken and chorizo sausage
Roasted butternut squash and gorgonzola rissotto

All made for one person, which makes shopping cheaper in the long run as i didnt have to buy all cooking ingredients separately and find myself chucking the left overs out.

I could go on and on all day as the ranges are so wide and diverse, but its not just the range, it is the quality and freshness of the products that impressed me.

Here?? Aisle upon aisle of bloody italian crap! Stodgy looking pizzas and pasta in every form.

Sooo, does this mean there will be fewer stodgy pizzas in Coles? Well at least thats one good thing i suppose...lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.